1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

"Chappelle's Show is over" - Charlie Murphy says

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dskillz, Aug 3, 2005.

1. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

NEW YORK (AP) -- Time to face the facts: Dave Chappelle's hit Comedy Central series isn't coming back, says one of its stars.

" 'Chappelle's Show' is over, man. Done," comic Charlie Murphy told TV Guide. "It took me a long time to be able to say those words, but I can say it pretty easy now, because it's the truth."

Chappelle's sudden "spiritual retreat" to South Africa on the eve of his show's third season has left the series in limbo since May. About half of a new season had been filmed before Chappelle left, Murphy said.

"I'm disappointed it ended the way it did, but I'm not angry with anybody," he said. " 'Chappelle's Show' was like the Tupac of TV shows. It came out, it got everybody's attention, it was a bright shining star, but it burned out and for some strange reason, it burned out quick."

Link : http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/03/tv.chappelle.sshow.ap/

Seems Dave just couldn't take having HUGE success. I mean, if it was a deal with Comedy Central objecting to show content, Viacom would have just moved it over to Showtime. But Charlie doesn't seem that upset about it, lol.

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

3. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

just as well...
    i'd really rather see a charlie murphy show.

4. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

maybe Charlie was one of the people who showed their true colors when Dave received so much $$$????

5. the futants

i would think his "true colors" would have come out when his brother was raking in millions in the 80s.

6. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

eddie STILL gets over 10 million per movie.

7. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Dammit Dave. Gotta keep it real. How hard is it to make a joke and say n***** after it? Dude is walking away from a truck load of money. Must be the Chris Tucker disease.

8. the futants

exactly. i doubt charlie's a culprit in this situation.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

So did Dave Chappelle leave his $50 million dollar contract on the table?

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I agree...I guess the 3rd season of partial episodes will air sometime...How can you walk away from more money...I mean, I know he's rich, but could have been even richer...Plus a lot of people loved his show...crazy...

11. dskillz

I am assuming he has to give most of it back.

12. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I imagine he'll be keeping a big chunk of it... since he was the "tupac" of TV I'm sure he was able to put some clauses in there to cover him in case of "creative differences." He is still "rich b****!"

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

well sh**! I loved that show. Damnit Dave.

14. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Chill out, he is just doing a cross network promotional scheme... he and Ashton Kutcher are punking us all.

15. the futants

HBO = more freedom (see Mr. Show)

16. dskillz

Well, he has even admitted it had nothing to do with Comedy Central. It had to do with his 'inner circle' and his feelings of trust in them.

17. waran007

waran007 Member

Basically it comes down to him not trusting/liking Neal Brennan anymore. Neal was a big part of writing and producing the show and, without him, the show wouldn't have been what it was. I'm guessing that Dave and Neal still haven't made up. I got the sense that he was upset about the types of jokes about black people that his show was veering towards and Neal didn't agree.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Have we heard for sure that it was him and Neal?

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Neal got payed pretty well too if I'm not mistaken. I hope it's not between him and Neal, from the sound of it, they've been partners for a long time.

20. dskillz

This is a bit off-topic, but if you listen to the commentary on the 2nd season DVD, Neal is riding Dave REALLY hard. It didn't sound like a partnership. It was like Neal was either in awe of Dave or just sucking up to him and being a 'yes' man.