1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lowrie to get MRI on thumb from slide last night

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by donkeypunch, Apr 28, 2015.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

2. donkeypunch

Mods lock it up. Already posted in game thread

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This may be worth it's own thread.

And I really hope I'm wrong.

4. donkeypunch

We'll sub-title it "How will Stros lineup fair without Lowrie?" then.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Best guess is that

Lowrie to the DL

Villar called up

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea this is likely gonna be a situation that goes well past the Padres series, and as well as he has played this definitely deserves it's own thread

My guess, if this is long term, is that Marwin takes over at SS and Fontana comes up as a utility guy. Marwin has always been good as a part time guy, but gets a little overexposed playing full time....

Obviously i'd rather see Correa come up and play SS. It's really early, but we are in first place and have won series against every team in our division. Let's put our best guys on the field..... but don't think that happens

7. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

What an awkward slide.

I broke my wrist in little league sliding into home and had pretty much the same reaction Jed did last night. Hopefully it's minor.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He also had some sort of hand/thumb issue in the Oakland series... but obviously didn't stop him from raking.

That may have affected this more... or it was just simply a bad slide.

9. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I think his issue in Oakland was on the other hand. He hurt the right hand last night, in Oakland his left was bothering him.

10. Airdough

Airdough Member

Softly call the Corea.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Clutch has actually requested multiple times that we split more information out in this sub-forum. That way people don't have to dig through threads to find information.

Hopefully not too serious.

12. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

New thread on injured player from last night =ok
    New thread talking about highlights from last nights game = not ok
    Hijacking thread by Mod to explain what threads are ok and not okay = ;)

13. awc713

awc713 Member

This will hurt. Jed has quietly held our offense together. Villar will be up soon. Obviously we all want Correa, but the guy has 76 AA at-bats. No need to rush him, even if he is slaughtering the competition. I'd expect Marwin to take a good chunk of Jed's starts, with which I'm 100% okay. Marwin has played really well thus far.

1 person likes this.
  14. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Always hurt to lose a middle-of-the-order bat. Especially Jed since he's our main veteran presence and is playing very well. Hopefully it's not too serious, and hopefully Gattis/Carter/Springer continue their upward climb to help with the missing offense.

15. imasonamagun

imasonamagun Member

He had the most sloppy looking slide to cause this injury, as much as he is a leader and a dinger in the line up, its all on him for this injury. Learn to slide better at home, it's not as if you must avoid a collision these days.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Had he not slid, he would likely have been out. Also, I am pretty sure he wasn't planning to make such an awkward slide. Sometimes things just happen.

17. awc713

awc713 Member

It was a very close play at the plate. Had he slid normally, he likely would've been out. He tried to contort his body so as to avoid the tag, and he did just that. It was a crafty slide. It was not pretty, but it got the job done in a bang-bang play. Not sure what more you can ask for.

18. imasonamagun

imasonamagun Member

“I just stuck. I’ve slid like that my whole life,” Lowrie said. “I always slide on my left side and drag my knee across. Today it was like I just stuck. My knee hit and stuck and I flipped over and my hand was in the way.” - Quote from Chron.com , Maybe Jed should improve on the way he slides that way he can avoid any further injuries. Thats what I'm too expect.

19. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Heading into this morning’s game at Midland, Correa is hitting .382 while leading the Texas League in doubles (10), RBIs (21), slugging percentage (.735), extra-base hits (15), runs (16) and total bases (50).

Correa, who has been named to the last two Futures Games during All-Star Weekend, has four home runs and one triple.

Correa earned the Texas League Player of the Week award by hitting .435 (10-for-23) with eight runs, two doubles, three home runs and seven RBIs in five games last week.

I know it's risky, but this kid getting called up soon could keep us in 1st place all year if he's as good as advertised.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, if a guy is doing something his whole life and has never had a problem, and something unusual occurs that causes an injury, he should change his mechanics? Plus, this was a freak injury to his hand, not his knee or leg.

If Clayton Kershaw lands funny on the mound and sprains his ankle, he should change his delivery? The same delivery that has successfully thrown thousands and thousands of pitches?