1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[bspn article] was Oswalt the greatest astros pitcher?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Apr 22, 2015.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

With the exception of strike outs, Nolan Ryan's Astros stats are very similar to the unheralded Don Wilson.

2. msn

msn Member

I wouldn't call Don Wilson unheralded. Not all-time great, but pretty damn good. I'd take him on this staff right now for sure.

3. Buck Turgidson

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Who the heck knows much about Don Wilson? There are a lot of people that think his number shouldn't have been retired. He rarely gets mentioned, despite throwing 2 no-hitters and being a good-great pitcher. Of course you'd take that kind of player on any team.

Losing Wilson & Richard were both terrible events that really hurt the franchise, though Wilson appeared to be on the way down by the time of death, while Richard seemed to actually be getting better at the time of his stroke.

While not nearly as tragic, having Carlos Hernandez & Wade Miller blow out their shoulders was the closest thing to those 2 in my time as a fan. Sure would have been nice to have those guys instead of Pete Munro starting 2 games in the NLCS. Should have been Clemens/Oswalt/Pettitte/Miller/Hernandez. Instead we got Clemens/Oswalt/Backe/Munro/Redding.

5. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I started following the Astros in the 90s like the Rockets, and Oswalt is also my favorite Astro of all time. Actually my favorite baseball player of all time. I still remember him coming up as a rookie and going like 14-2 or whatever it was. Fun to watch.

6. bobrek

7. juicystream

I remember when he owned the Reds (23-1 prior to 2010).

#47 juicystream, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  8. bobrek

Not to mention being taken out after 8 innings of no-hit ball by manager Preston Gomez in a meaningless game they were losing 2-1.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Hernandez injury was particularly irritating because of the nature of it, an injury on the basepaths.

Future seemed so bright in 01 with the quartet of Oswalt/Miller/Redding/Hernandez, and only one of them made it past 04. Such a fickle sport.

10. Buck Turgidson

Oh, mighty nice of you to read his posts.

11. bobrek

Someone should. :)

12. bobrek

The vast majority of casual Houston baseball fans will know Clemens, Scott, Dierker, Oswalt, and Richard, but if you mention Don Wilson, they will most likely think of Don "the Dragon" Wilson.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I recall most front office people "expecting" that Miller would eventually break down due to mechanics... it was a question of when, not if.

Regarding Hernandez, it does suck that it was a fluke injury... however the universe does tend to correct itself, and I'm resigned to say that he probably would have just injured his shoulder somehow pitching anyways.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I meant "tops" as in one of the leaders in that... not that he had the top spot. Sorry that seemed confusing. I chose incorrect words. :)

15. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, Miller was a shoulder injury waiting to happen for anyone that watched his delivery; Hernandez was just bad dam luck (he could've been a star), and Redding was a mental midget.

Put Roy in that mix and I guess 1-out-of-4 is about the going rate for pitching prospects. Remember the Mets big 3/4 of can't miss prospects...Pulsipher, Paul Wilson, Isringhousen and???

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd also include Lidge as a prospect "success" for that era.

I expect McCullers to have a very similar accession (will be brought up as a "starter", but will slip into the bullpen partly for need)

17. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, I was just thinking about the starters.

I haven't seen McCullers enough to know much, but that is what people "in the know" seem to be saying.

18. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Nolan Ryan might have won 200 games as an Astro if he had the offense that Oswalt was surrounded by

19. juicystream

Doubtful. Not to mention, our offense was only great for the first few years of Oswalt's career.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

And none of us really care about the W-L statistic.