1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] An interview with Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Apr 23, 2015.

1. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The word "McFail" is my new "Houston, we have a problem" in terms of respect to the morons who use it. Your argument is dead before it ever begins when you start your sentence with "McFail".

1 person likes this.
  2. htownrocketman

"He was concerned about Parson's period" LMAO

3. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

McHale has done a better job this year of creating team chemistry, respecting players while showing them their limitations and getting them to buy into their roles.

Examples: Josh Smith accepting the bench role, Dwight agreeing to less post-ups and more pnrs

It's part of McHale's philosophy that he believes it's better if the players themselves talk it out (so Terry was in on that crucial conversation between Harden and Howard) rather than the coach always telling them what to do.

Remember the disaster last year after Sampson left and McHale supposedly told Morey that it was Sampson who could talk to Harden and hold him accountable? McHale is more hands-on in that aspect this season.

I believe JB Bickerstaff and Chris Finch also improved this year--JB for his defense and Chris for his schemes, like the interior passing of the bigs, because we had that in Asik and Harden's first year with us to get around Asik's inability to shoot. Asik was the one passing to the other big. We went away from that a year later when we kept trying to post Dwight.

4. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Of course, we're playing a bad DAL team at this point.

When we move on and get to play Clips or Spurs, we might go back to tearing our hair out from the coaching of McHale again:)

5. bongman

bongman Member

Interesting. Some of the McFail crowd would normally bring up his failures during the past playoffs even though he had a young, inexperienced team who's he's only had for 2 yrs. While on the other hand sing high praises towards Carlisle. The same Carlisle who has been so far, out-coached and who has not lead his team out of the first round since they won the ring.

Seems inconsistent to me.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Harsh single light instead of dual or a ring flash. He probably refused hair, makeup, didn't shave so not much more you can do in that situation.

I bet the lighting was for full body shots of players and groups and they just decided to get Murray on a whim.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It took my wife 3 minutes to edit the picture to make it somewhat acceptable from the low res image with crappy lighting. The espn/rocket's photographer just sucks and is either too lazy or unskilled to produce good pictures.

Edited
    [​IMG]

Original
    [​IMG]

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Media day

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Yeah. Thats some really bad lighting and editing for a portrait.

Morey got hosed.

10. baubo

baubo Member

I think it is kind of underrated that the Rockets this year has a bunch more vets with playoff experience. Last season we were clearly more talented than the Blazers but we got jittery and just played badly, especially down the stretch. This year we added guys like Ariza, Terry, Brewer who have playoff experience and even championship experience. We are clearly better mentally prepared and not get rattled.

11. nemac

nemac Member

There are two flashes used, and two highlights on his forehead. Small light source + too much post sharpening and you can see all his pores which is not ideal. Editing then is futile as rockbox' wife has demonstrated.

12. Bandwagoner

One light to the right, not two. I agree PP is futile because the amount of noise introduced was unusable and wouldn't have been useful even with the raw file.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Give my wife the raw file, and she could make Morey look like Chandler Parsons. It would require more work, but it can be done. The point I was making is that the photographer not only took a bad picture, but was too lazy or unskilled to fix it.

14. Bandwagoner

I know their videographer doesn't understand the concept of focus but I can easily see the situation where he was taking group photos on media day and Morey just walked in because someone mentioned he needed an updated picture. I doubt anyone can PP that picture to perfection.

This shot of Harden is creative (uses two light sources) and looks great. This shot from the same day has a key and a fill light and isn't using heavy Post Processing. I guess I'm just not as willing to throw the guy under the bus. Do you know him or something?

#34 Bandwagoner, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  15. Ranny

Ranny Member

He does look like he enjoys Houston's BBQ Ribs and TEXMEX.............

16. nemac

nemac Member

There are two flashes used for sure. Look at the highlights. The one on the right is stronger though and casting that unflattering shadow on the neck. With the camera the shooter probably has and the fact that he is exposing for the flash, noise is not a problem. The problem is not even the original photographer. It's the fact that it is a re-purposed half-body shot, cropped in on the face and sharpened to hell.

Btw, 2006 Morey
    [​IMG]

17. Bandwagoner

#37 Bandwagoner, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  18. nemac

nemac Member