1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[Woj] Mavericks, Rockets have discussed Rajon Rondo trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Dec 17, 2014.

1. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

What an ugly, pointless thing to say. I'm sure you're *perfect.*

1 person likes this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

White to Philly?

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

If what ESPN reported is correct,

this trade makes perfect sense to the Celtics.

Getting Brandon Wright + 2 first rounds is a lot of value than people will view it.

Just think about this, if this deal will be done before end of Friday, the Celtics can still flip Brandon Wright for more assets.

What kind of value that Brandon Wright can bring? Ask Cleveland, the Cavs are so desperate to get any kind of inside help and before the trade deadline, I am sure the Celtics can get some kind of ransom for him - that Cavs had a unprotected Memphis first round pick they are not willing to use on Brewer.

Eventually, you will be looking at probably 3 first round picks at least from this Rondo trade.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Other than the Rockets pick (lottery protected this year & the Rockets likely to be a playoff team) the soonest the lakers would be able to offer another first rounder would be 2019. They can offer pretty much a second rounder for the next couple years as well.

Wouldn't be shocked if the Lakers actually try to do something with Lin as well to entire Ainge by taking on more salary.

However.... DO NOT count out the Lakers because of this-

Keep in mind that Lin + Nash + picks is enough expiring salary to trade for Rondo + Gerald Wallace

Don't rule out the Lakers... Which would be great. I'd love for them to blow their load on Rondo only to max him out this Summer and stay mediocre for forever. Would be a little sad for Rondo though.

5. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

Great write-up. With that many players having to be sent out, a third team would likely have to be involved.

6. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Lol I'm far from perfect but I don't misrepresent myself with a misleading picture. But if you must know fortunately due to my parents genes I'm what women consider a good looking man. Brazilian FTW;)

7. marky :)

marky :) Member

After reading this I'm reconsidering my thoughts and leaning towards getting Rondo. Repped for a good post.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Not just picking on you, but the way people make a blanket term "1st round pick" is a pet peeve of mine. Not all 1st-round picks are created equal. If you trade Rondo to Dallas, you're talking about picks that are essentially guaranteed to be in the 20s. In other words, your chance of finding even a rotation player -- much less a star -- is well under 50%. In some cases, depending on the depth of a draft, those can actually have NEGATIVE value because you're forced to give a guaranteed contract for multiple years to a guy who may be a marginal player. This isn't the NFL where any 1st round pick has good value.

As far as Brandan Wright, the guy is in his 7th NBA season and his career-best numbers are 9.1 points and 4.2 rebounds. Sorry, he's not going to have that much value.

The Celtics, should they do your proposed Dallas deal, would be swapping Rondo for a quality reserve big man (who can leave for no compensation after this season) and two late 1st round picks. Maybe that's the best they can get, and if so, we can't judge them... but I think the Celtics are certainly looking for more in exchange for someone they consider a cornerstone-level player.

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

The Lakers are desperate for any player, I am surprised that the Knicks name is not mentioned in this trade.

10. The Law

The Law Member

How can the Lakers offer this? I didn't know you could trade players who were hurt/retired.

If that's the case we should offer Yao/McGrady/Eddie Griffin and a conditional 1st

11. CrashTheBoards

Ainge won't touch Lin's contract (which cost us a first to get rid of) with a 10 foot poll. His salary is $15 million this season while only $8.3 million counts towards the cap. Lin is not worth $15 million, let alone $8 million. Also, the only bad contract the Celtics have is Gerald Wallace and nobody will touch that thing.

12. newAge_Rockets

Classic buy low opportunity for whatever team gets him. Rondo is a great player, but his strengths can't be shown off because of the team that surrounds him.

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Nash is a big expiring

14. The Law

The Law Member

But doesn't a player have to pass a physical to be traded?

15. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

No the team can waive the physical.

16. The Law

The Law Member

Ah, gotcha! So my Eddie Griffin idea should most definately be on the table then. His estate is probably worth some serious cheese depending on the type of life insurance he had.

RIP

17. cml750

cml750 Member

lars, you bring up a few good points but what what about locker room chemistry? I repped you just for making me think about this! I admit, I am 100% against bringing Rondo here but I have to admit some of your points make sense. I just have too many questions about him:

1) how will he affect the locker room?
    2) is he really healthy?
    3) how can a player who is SO bad offensively fit here?
    4) do we really want a PG who shoots less than 50% from the FT line? I see hack a Rondo going on every time we are in the penalty.
    5) will he expect a MAX contract???????
    6) how much will he cost us in assets?
    7) again how will a guy who has be referred to as cancer effect the wonderful chemistry we have brewing in our Morey's lab right now?

1 person likes this.
  18. The Law

The Law Member

^^^^^

We gotta start spoilering this. I am going to lose all my cell phone battery scrolling down this page

19. cml750

cml750 Member

Sorry about that!!!

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

Rondo doesn't go to the line enough for that to be a valid %. Beverly is barely shooting 50% from the FT line. what does that mean. is that a big deal also?