1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Houston State Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Was at a graduation at SHSU so I was only able to see the 1st quarter. So glad we won. This is great experience for our guys.

At this point, f*** it, bring on the Bison. We weren't supposed to be here anyway so we have nothing to lose.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

we seem to be getting better by the game at closing teams out...which is apparently what SDSU and CC couldn't do. I think we have a fantastic chance if we go in to the 4th with the lead.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What an unbelievable run this has been. I think we actually have a shot against the Bison. How sweet would it be to finally avenge what happened in 2011 and 2012? And at their place?

Agree with jdh008 about FCS attendance. Besides NDSU and maybe Eastern Washington, every program has attendance struggles. That's just how it is.

Oddly enough, I hope we don't get so much attention that some FBS school comes calling on our coach. Call me crazy, but I'd like to see him stay in Huntsvegas for the foreseeable future...

4. leroy

He's a guy that has talked about in the past about his affinity for the FCS/1-AA. I don't think he's one that will leave for something like Georgia Southern. If he's going to leave, it would have to be for something bigger than a low tier FBS school.

5. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

hahahaha quoted for truth - Very happy to see the Kats do so well at the end of the season like this.

6. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm with you on this one. I don't think we're in any real danger of losing Keeler at this point. He's been an FCS guy for a long, long time.

But more to drummer's point, and maybe he was a name thrown around and I just wasn't paying close enough attention to FCS (then I-AA) football at that time, but I'm curious as to why he wasn't someone whose name came up a lot for bigger jobs given his success at Delaware for an extended stretch.

7. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Man, I hope Friday is a great game!

8. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Man, I'm bummed that I can't watch this game - Its my Mother-in-laws birthday..

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I laughed, but I feel your pain man. It's on ESPN2 so just record it and avoid seeing the outcome until you get back home.

10. ima_drummer2k

I think this is a good example of when people not caring about FCS football actually works in our favor. Most FBS schools want a bigger name instead of an FCS coach who might actually be a better candidate.

I thought UH should have hired Fritz and Nebraska should have hired Craig Bohl (NDSU) last year.

Plus our players don't leave early for the draft! Which means we have 3 more years of the best kept secret in Texas - PJ Hall.

11. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Wait, you guys actually think you stand a chance against the Bison in the Fargo Dome? Lol

12. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

The SHSU team from 3 months ago? No

The SHSU team from the last month? Possibly

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's a long shot but why not. Our QB is mostly mediocre but is capable of huge games on the ground and through the air. Plus we now have an established go-to receiver. And if Hill is healthy we have a great RB core.

We need the defense to step up and make some plays.

We'll be the underdog and rightfully so because NDSU is just better all around, but we're capable of making it a game if all goes right. I won't be betting on us but I'll be hopeful when I turn the game on.

14. ima_drummer2k

Not betting on us either, but I didn't against SELU, JSU or Nova either.

NDSU still has the better team but they have some chinks in their armor this year (finally...) and we are on fire right now. Also Keeler is now 14-3 in the playoffs so he knows how to get a team ready.

If we can stay away from giving up the big play early that puts us behind the 8-ball, our running game can wear them down in the 2nd half.

15. leroy

I'm hungry for a bison burger today. any one know where I can get one?

EAT EM UP KATS

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

HEB has ground bison.

17. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

GAME DAY! I'm hoping my 4th month old cooperates with me today and isn't too fussy when I try to put him to bed. I don't want to watch the game on too much of a lag.

18. ima_drummer2k

LOL, I had to do that with my boys for both NC games. I feel you.

As for tonight, they go down about 7:45 so I should have less than an hour of lag time. Should work out perfectly. (yes, I've thought this through....)

EAT EM UP.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm recording it and won't get to start watching it until about 9:30pm. It better be good!

20. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I'll put him down at about 8 or so. So hopefully only an hour of lag time. The hard part will be not checking facebook and text messages until I've caught up to the game.