1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seth Mitchell bandwagon thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by KingCheetah, Feb 17, 2012.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This guy is ridiculously good for the short amount of time he has been fighting. Anyone else ready to jump on the bandwagon (woo woo)?
    _____

Heavyweight Seth Mitchell (24-0-1, 18 KOs), the top American heavyweight prospect, will open the HBO telecast headlined by the Bernard Hopkins-Chad Dawson light heavyweight championship rematch on April 28 at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J. Mitchell, 29, whose fans from Brandywine, Md., could easily make the approximately two-hour drive to the fight, will be on HBO for his second consecutive fight. On Dec. 10 on the undercard of the Lamont Peterson-Amir Khan junior welterweight title fight, Mitchell scored an impressive second-round knockout of Timur Ibragimov, a former Olympian who had never been stopped as a pro. One possible opponent for Mitchell is Philadelphia's Chazz Witherspoon (30-2, 22 KOs), who has won four in a row since he was stopped in the ninth round by Tony Thompson in December 2009.

link

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S1c0Iui-ePE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I really enjoyed the way he used those body punches to set up the upstairs KO. That is POWER. Even I felt that shot on my jaw. :eek:

BOOM! Carthron felt that.

He was also absorbing the light shots and knew when to attack. That was pretty smart. Put him against some REAL competition, though.

3. KingCheetah

Yeah, I just grabbed a random video to show him fighting -- dude has very heavy hands. I think he will fighting one of the Brothers' Grimm for the title before too much longer.

4. KingCheetah

Note: I didn't add 'woo woo' to the tags -- for some reason it self generated.

woo woo

5. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

After watching another disappointing Klitschko fight today, I believe either Seth Mitchell or Kimbo Slice can KO both Vitali and Wladimir.

6. KingCheetah

Fighting Saturday on HBO.
    _____

Seth Mitchell looking to cause mayhem

My late friend Bert Sugar would frequently opine, when asked about the dire state of the contemporary American heavyweight boxing scene, that "the best heavyweight in America today is Ray Lewis." He was not commenting specifically on the pugilistic abilities of the Baltimore Ravens linebacker, of course, but making a point: that with his combination of size, athleticism and focused aggression, Lewis might have been, in an era not too far removed from our own, attracted more to the prospect of being heavyweight champion of the world than a career in the National Football League.

It is a thesis that, to the latest contender to be fitted for the mantle of America's next great heavyweight hope, makes sense.

"I'm not really a historian, but I know back in the day -- 30, 40, 50 years ago -- there were not a lot of opportunities for especially African-Americans to compete at sports such as basketball and football," said Seth "Mayhem" Mitchell, who will put his 24-0-1 record on the line Saturday against Chazz Witherspoon on HBO from Atlantic City, N.J. "Now you have baseball, you have football, you have basketball, and what people fail to realize is that it's hard to make a living in this sport of boxing. Whether you're making a lot of money or a little money, you're still getting hit in the face, you're still sparring all these rounds. People might see you on TV and think you're making a lot of money, but that's really not the case. So it's hard to make it in boxing, and I think with these other sports and being able to earn a great living in all these other sports, I certainly think that's hindering the sport of boxing."

Had circumstances been different, Mitchell might well have been one of those making a living on the gridiron. A star linebacker at Michigan State -- he once recorded 17 tackles in a game against Ohio State -- his footballing prospects were ended by injury. He stayed at college to conclude his studies and graduated with a criminal justice degree; in 2006, after watching Tommy Zbikowski, who was then a Notre Dame safety, win his pro boxing debut at Madison Square Garden, Mitchell elected to try his hand at the sweet science. A brief amateur career -- 10 fights, nine wins -- ensued, and in 2008, four months before his 26th birthday, Mitchell turned professional.

Middleweight champion Sergio Martinez, who famously didn't lace up a pair of gloves until he was 20, has shown that it is theoretically possible for a naturally gifted athlete to succeed in the ring even after a late start. Mitchell, however, is one of the very few members of the former-football-player-turned-boxer fraternity to have become regarded as anything more than a curiosity.

"You know, to be honest, it's funny, because when I decided to box, I never put myself in that category," he said. "There are plenty of football players who try to cross over into boxing and haven't been successful. I just believed in myself, and believed that with hard work and belief and faith that I could achieve greatness in this sport. And so far, so good."

Whether Mitchell's path ultimately will end in greatness remains to be seen. There will be plenty of people along the way, beginning with Witherspoon on Saturday, looking to upset that apple cart, and the college graduate would himself likely concede that his boxing grade is at this stage incomplete. At the same time, a well-spoken, hard-hitting American heavyweight is just what a lot of boxing fans in this country are looking for, and Mitchell is well aware that an increasing number of those fans are looking at him to fill that role.

"I'm glad that people are choosing me to bring back the American heavyweight division," Mitchell said. "I'd be lying to you if I said it didn't feel good. But I know I just have to work hard to continue to get better, and that's what I'm trying to do."

link

7. KingCheetah

Should have mentioned Seth's fight is on the B-Hop vs. Dawson undercard. If Seth wins he could be in line for a title shot vs. one of the Brothers Grimm.
    _____

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?&playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a26fe0e89e&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:7851483&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

8. KingCheetah

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LSBUBAM1usI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Mitchell got hurt a little bit in that fight last night, but mentioned in an interview after the fight that he thought that might be a good thing.

I'd love to see Mitchell take on one of the Klitschko brothers and I'm sure anyone that wants to see heavyweight boxing matter in the US again wants that as well, but I'm guessing he'll have to wait longer to get that shot.

DeLaHoya has said that Michael Grant might be next for Seth.

10. KingCheetah

Dude, he took a bomb square on the chin -- he was really hurt, but showed heart and came back like a warrior. Seth's body blows are vicious and that straight right of his just with those long arms is a major weapon.

He's not quite ready for the Brothers, but if beats a top flight HW in September then maybe we can start thinking about that fight.

11. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

"he was nearly gone in round 1...and then six minutes of mayhem"

Very impressive. I really liked the way he worked upstairs and threw body shots randomly. That straight right to end the bout was vicious. Very impressive. I hope he continues to develop...the US really needs US heavyweight boxing to rise up again.

12. KingCheetah

Chazz Witherspoon (cousin of WC Tim) had only lost previously to two guys who went into the deep round with a V/K W/K Brother in a championship fight -- so this was definitely an impressive win.

13. KingCheetah

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DVAcfCcxCKU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seth should be fighting again soon, but nothing has been signed.

14. esteban

esteban Member

You all can always close your eyes and dream that Seth Mitchell is the" Great Black Hope", but once you open them, reality just hits you in your face like a "Steelhammer".

Just embrace the K Brothers and give proper respect to the world champions.

15. KingCheetah

Mitchell v. Johnathan Banks this Saturday.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

WOW. :eek: I just saw that "comeback" on that youtube you posted before, KC.

Way to keep the composure, find the weak spot on the opponent, punishing the body then going for the kill on the weak spot. Nice. Bright future for this guy.

17. KingCheetah

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I wish he was more active this year. You got to fight more than twice a year to make a name for yourself. We cant have everyone fighting 2 fights a year like Pacman and Floyd.

19. KingCheetah

Early link prelim fights should be starting soon.

20. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Bahaha that didn't last very long. Mitchell doesn't have experience to be in the ring with that type of seasoned veteran. Amazing upset.