1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cheryl's birthday.. logic problem.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rox1, Apr 16, 2015.

1. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

I'm sure some of you have seen all over the interwebz today but in case you haven't.. here it is. What do you think is the answer? Try not to cheat.

This is much better than than stupid dress a few weeks ago.
    I got August 17.. It seems July 16 is the answer if I assume it isn't May at the beginning

Albert and Bernard just met Cheryl. “When’s your birthday?” Albert asked Cheryl.

Cheryl thought a second and said, “I’m not going to tell you, but I’ll give you some clues.” She wrote down a list of 10 dates:

May 15, May 16, May 19

June 17, June 18

July 14, July 16

August 14, August 15, August 17

“My birthday is one of these,” she said.

Then Cheryl whispered in Albert’s ear the month — and only the month — of her birthday. To Bernard, she whispered the day, and only the day.

“Can you figure it out now?” she asked Albert.

Albert: I don’t know when your birthday is, but I know Bernard doesn’t know, either.

Bernard: I didn’t know originally, but now I do.

Albert: Well, now I know, too!

When is Cheryl’s birthday?

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

May 19th is the only single date. All others are repeated.

3. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

There are 2 singular days.. 19th and 18th. Can't be either one, otherwise Bernard would have known right away.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think it has to be:

July 16th.

Reasoning:

If the month was May or June, Albert could not have said that Bernard doesn't know the answer, since both of those months have a day not listed elsewhere. So the month is July or August.

Bernard now knows that it is July or August, but as he claims to know the answer the day could not have been the 14th, since July 14th and August 14th are both options.

Since Albert is able to then deduce the day, the month must have been July, since if it was August both August 15 and August 17 could be options.

Therefore, answer is July 16th.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Answer is:

July 16.

My Reasoning:

Using the first statement you can get rid of all the choices in May and June.

Using second statement you can get rid of July 14 and August 14 (both 14s)

Using third statement you can get rid of the last remaining Augusts.

Which leaves July 16.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

My Answer is
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Zach Randolph was also born on this day...

8. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

Edit: nevermind, I don't yet. Let me think.

9. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

July 14... spoiler next

10. Kyakko

It can't be May 19 or June 18 because Albert knows it's not an unpaired date because if Cheryl told Benard either of those, Bernard would know the exact date.
    It can't be May... because if Cheryl told Benard May something... there's a possibility that it's May 19th, but Albert said there's no way Bernard would know. And by the same logic, it can't be June. Since it can't be June or May, any matching dates with those months are out. It can't be any time in August because they have matching times with May and June and those mo/dates are out.

So July 14

What do I win?

#11 Kyakko, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  11. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I bet Ryan Fitzpatrick's son knows the answer.

This is not a particularly hard puzzle if you have a pen and paper. Basically on par with the "logic games" section of the LSAT.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

thought August 15

Rocket River

13. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

The answer is July 16, and it's really not that hard. Use deductive reasoning and look at one piece at a time. Looking at the whole problem at once makes it a lot more confusing.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Took me twenty seconds. Dyslexia has it's advantages sometimes.

15. Kyakko

It can't be that answer

if Cheryl said the date was on the 16th, then it could possible be May 16th or July 16th. Since it can't be any dates in May because Albert said there's no way Bernard would know the exact date with a single date that Cheryl told Bernard. So it can't be any dates that corresponds with May.

Put it this way. If Cheryl said told Barnard 15, 16, 19... 19th is out as it has one date in the month. So either (May 16/July 16) or (May15/August 15). Since Albert only knows the month. He assumes there's no way Bernard would know the month with just a single date that Cheryl told him;

"Albert: I don’t know when your birthday is, but I know Bernard doesn’t know, either." If Cheryl told Barnard the 19, then he would know it's May, but Albert knows Bernard doesn't have the information yet to know.

This logic goes out the window if Cheryl whispered to Bernard '19' which only May falls under... or '18'... which June falls under

#16 Kyakko, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

yes it can because albert (who knows the month) deduction occurs first.

also, would like to add Cheryl is a *unt

17. Kyakko

I made edits, read it again... but basically, Albert can't make the assumption it's any dates that correspond with May because there's a possibility that Cheryl could've said the 19... then there's a POSSIBILITY that Benard would know the month, which Albert said wasn't possible

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Poor Kyakko is confusing himself. Albert didn't say Bernard couldn't know the month; he said Bernard doesn't know the entire birthday.

Everyone of these puzzle's has someone who can't admit they misread the problem, or used poor logic. They will hold onto their "logic" forever.

19. Kyakko

Put it this way... if i were Benard and you were albert and Cheryl whispered a date to me... and you didnt know the date but you know i cant possible guess the month with it... it cant be a date on a month with a guessable answer... ie you dont know if Cheryl said 19