1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

if i hear marc jackson's name one more time ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shandon Anversen, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Shandon Anversen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i realize there aren't many centers left in the nba. and i realize that there are many available this offseason. and i realize that kathy cato is a b****.

that said, i'm perplexed at the bbs affinity with marc jackson. i know he's serviceable and all, but there is a viral-like faction of people that really, really want marc jackson. IMO, he's ike austin. he is not the second coming.

now i understand that kathy cato is the 5th coming. i am not delusional. but i still think he is a better defender than marc jackson. and i still think he has more (gulp) potential (gulp) than jackson. and he's already under contract (gulp). yea, i know, that sux. but since we signed him, we might as well play him.

jackson, IMO, is a power forward playing center. and, IMO, there will be another "marc jackson" available next year.

i'd take my chances with kathy and collier this year.

flame on....

------------------
    shandn has no "o".

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

you know, everytime I see you post now with that new moniker my mind makes a mental association...damn Shandon Anverson sucks. lol

I know names are superficial, but I can't help it...yours sucks! hehe

3. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Totally agree with you Shandon Anverson.

------------------

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

TheCat...calling TheCat. You are wanted in this thread. [​IMG]

------------------
    Life is a **** sandwich. The more bread you have, the less **** you have to take.

You can Run from the bet, you can Rave at the bet...but you just can't hide.

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Whatever. I'll take my chance on a hardworking guy who averaged 16 points and 10 rebounds a game last year. As for Cato having "potential", the guy has had "potential" for the last 2 years, why burn more of your future with "potential", when you can get a guy who can produce now! If Marc Jackson is a PF, what does that make Cato? Jackson is the same height, weight, and size as Cato!

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited July 23, 2001).]

6. Live

Live Member

Great post, Shandon Anversen.

Couldn't agree more.

------------------

7. Shandon Anversen

Rocks...

kathy cato is a b****. i realize this. but you might as well showcase the b**** while you can. maybe someone else will thinks she's pretty.

jackson, IMO, might cost more than he's really worth. and considering there will probably be another "jackson" or "fortson" or "austin" et al available next year, i say let's play kathy and collier for now....

heycrispeecritter....

i h8 you [​IMG]

8. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I agree Shandon...Marc Jackson, lets not forget, is almost (if not already) 30 yrs old even though he is a rookie. There is a reason why it took this guy all this time to get picked up by an NBA team. Unless you can trade cato for him straight up...fuggeeddaabboouuddiitt

------------------

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'm guessing a lot of you have seen the guy once or twice, and are going by reports, speculation, and Warriors fans.

Cato has more potential than a lot of centers. But what does that matter? You know he's lazy, has no work ethic, and will never achieve that potential. Just because a guy has some potential and he's under contract doesn't mean you have to give him a ton of minutes. The object is to win basketball games, and if you don't think Kelvin can give you a good shot as your starting center (who does?), you go out and get someone else.

Jackson imho won't be another Ike Austin because he has a very strong work ethic. Everyone undervalues just how important that is. You don't play four years for John Chaney in college if you're lazy. You don't work your butt off in the CBA for three years just to get a chance at the NBA if you're lazy.

On the court, Jackson has a ton of the skills we could use. Offensively, he's very versatile. Can score and draw double teams in the post, but has a nice jumper out to at least 20 feet. He's also a physical presence down low with his body. He'll rebound around 10 a game for you when starting, which is something the Rockets could use (a double digit rebounder). And imho, he's miles ahead of Cato on defense. He's no Mutombo, but he at least works and uses his body to try and defend well. Some people bring up the fact that he had a groin injury last year, but that doesn't make the guy injury prone. Michael Jordan missed almost all of the 2nd season of his career-- was he injury prone? Theo Ratliff missed approximately the same length of time at the end of the season as Jackson. Do you not want him? The reason those injuries were so long, imho, was that there is no reason whatsoever to risk your future and the team's future by coming back in late March or April for a team that has no shot at the playoffs.

Jackson can score from the post. He can stretch the defense with long jumpers. He can play physical inside. He can rebound 10 a game. He's young, has said he'd be interested in playing for Houston, and has a strong work ethic. He also had a 16 point, 10 rebound season at the position we so desperately need help at. If 5 million would get him, and it appears it will, I would sign him in a heartbeat. He fills a lot of needs. Sure, he may not be proven, but who is? Even 14/10 guys like Antonio Davis are commanding the max. The only proven center potentially available next summer is Lafrentz, and the Nuggets can match any offer. Would you really pass on Jackson for the small chance of just getting to talk to Lafrentz about paying him the max? I wouldn't. It is almost imperative that you take risks in the NBA at the center position, or else you will never have a chance. We lost by taking the risk on Cato. So? Does that mean every young center will be like him? You have to take some risks to be successful, and when you look at Jackson's track record, those risks are actually very minimal.

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

10. The Cat

Since when is 26 almost 30? The ages of 28-31 are usually the prime of players careers, and he hasn't even entered that. Yes, there is a reason it took him a while to get picked up. He needed to improve his game in Europe, and he did. Are you now penelizing the guy for working nonstop in Europe for three years? Not everyone is a highly touted prospect when they come out of college. They don't have the athletism, the size, the "potential". And many of those guys have to prove themselves in Europe before they are given a chance in the NBA. When they succeed, does that make them any less of a good player? It shouldn't.

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited July 23, 2001).]

11. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

I don't know what to make of Jackson...but I will say it took a lot of work ethic for Ike Austin to go from a blimp (upwards of 350+) down to 270 when he was effective with the Heat. Then the contract comes along...and, well...

------------------
    It's a ring toss game.

12. Shandon Anversen

The Cat,

1) do you really think that 5 mill will get the job done?

2) i have seen him (jackson) a lot. i'm a league pass junkie. i DO see the tools you speak of. however, i am not sold on the 5 mill price tag. like you said, 14 & 10s like antonio are commanding the max. why would mjax be only 5 mill? seems to me this would be the PRIME opportunity for him to ask for the phat one!

in other words, at 5 mill, sure, the risk is worth it. but if he steps it up to the 7 mill mark, he can kiss my ass twice.

it just seems to me that there is always a "marc jackson" available every summer. i wouldn't break my back for him.

speaking of kathy, i'm not saying he EVER will fulfill his "potential". what i'm saying is that "potential" is the forbidden fruit. is is the green grass on the other side. and if we can showcase that piece of grass, i say let's do it. hell, who knows, he MIGHT pan out. we all know he has the ability.

what do you have to lose?

------------------
    shandn has no "o".

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You make it sound like he played in the CBA for free. CBA or NBA, getting paid to play basketball is a pretty sweet deal. How do you know he did it just to get a shot at the NBA? Maybe he did it because playing basketball is the only thing he does well.

------------------
    Life is a **** sandwich. The more bread you have, the less **** you have to take.

You can Run from the bet, you can Rave at the bet...but you just can't hide.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I still think Cato can play, but his injuries keep him from the floor. IMHO, Cato and Jackson would be a good tandem. Collier would be a good backup when cato goes down.

I think Jackson is mentioned a lot because he's the perceived best available center now , Collier may not be ready for the start of the season, and Hakeem is gone.

Getting a Jackson next year doesn't save the rockets this year. With the elimination of illegal defense, a lot of teams will be adapting....the best team might not win the championship...the aggressive and flexible teams have a good shot at upsets.

------------------

15. The Cat

1) do you really think that 5 mill will get the job done?

Yes. What other options does he have? Seattle has said to have pulled out of the running, when they could've had the inside track. They really aren't looking at outside free agents I read. Golden State can only match offers up to 4.5 million. The other teams interested with cap room are Detroit and Chicago, but I'd take 5 million in Houston before 6 million from one of those teams, unless winning means nothing.

------------------

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

16. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Hey Cat...point taken but don't you think a big man (and Im not a fan of Cato either) should average more than .5 blocks per game??? I watched him several times. He was on my fantasy team (which stunk about as bad as the Warriors) so I got a chance to see him play. He's a decent rebounder, a decent shooter and a VERY hard worker. i can't argue that. However, he will not make a difference in us winning the west and not winning the west. i just think that the 5 million he will take up next year (and the 3 yrs after that) can be put to better use.

------------------

17. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Marc Jakson!

------------------
    Who's ya daddy?

18. Shandon Anversen

at least spell it right [​IMG]

19. Flutie

Flutie Member

Jahidi White is a big oaf who should be playing football.

------------------

20. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Timmy!

------------------