1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So who exactly is the Rockets PG next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by samtaylor, Jul 1, 2015.

1. basketballholic

Now you're making the case that McHale's PG skills preferences are:

1. defense
    2. playmaking
    3. shooting

And frankly..........I believe this is probably right.

Welcome to Houston, Ricky Rubio.

Do you see my point?

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'd agree with that. But we do need someone who can get Harden the ball on the three-point line without turning it over. From half-court to the 3-point line, Harden is weak. It's really his only flaw. Other than that, he was almost a perfect player last year.

I only think Harden bringing the ball up is an issue when they pressure him. But the times they pressure him are the times that are highly critical to the game. So, that's why I think it's important. Our last two series losses came against teams that pressured Harden.

That being said, getting the ball across the half-court is not what we need. We need a player that gets Harden the ball in a place where he's dangerous: ie the 3-point line. If the PG or point-forward gets Harden the ball on the 3-point line, he's 10 times harder to defend. If you make any little mistake, Harden becomes lethal. Therefore, players relax the pressure on him. That's why I want a ball-handler "bringing across midcourt".

The rest of what you said I agree 100% with.

Bringing up the ball is a huge issue when the game is on the line. Gotta win the close ones.

This is a really great option for what I envision and that b*stard, Dragic, makes him expendable to a degree.

This illustrates exactly why we need a good ball handler. There's no replacement for that job in the NBA. It's boring, but very important. Avery Johnson won a championship... that was his job.

I have, very very crafty, smart player on defense, but way too slow to guard an NBA point guard. There are 15-20 point guards in the league that would burn him regularly in the open court. Even in half-court play, he'd be beat on the first step with great regularity. But, it's your scouting vs mine. I'd be happy to be wrong if we signed him.

If he can't shoot, you must refute!

3. basketballholic

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I firmly believe if signed he instantly becomes a top 3 defender at the point.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

If figured this much, but I respect that.

5. basketballholic

I could get technical and say you're right, he'll get beat on the first step with regularity. But that's true of 100% of the point guards in the NBA. They all get beat on the first step with regularity. It's what happens after that that is the difference defensively. I'll just leave it right there.

6. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

I thought a Lull/Patty Mills combo could have flowed well :(

7. R=$

R=$ Member

Austin"Baby Doc" Rivers

8. basketballholic

Here's another possibility.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/brazil...o-huertas-planning-move-to-nba-204453713.html

Here's some film. Looks like Pablo's hernia shot for sure. Good in pick-and-roll.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/p5JwQ2GXzLY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. seeingred

seeingred Member

We need playmaking, defense, and 3 point shooting. But they don't have to come from the same player. as many have pointed out, a guard/wing who can do all 3 of those skills would be out of our price range anyway.

Rubio/Johnson
    Bev/Stuckey
    Collison/Johnson

10. chandlerbang21

Leave out johnson, he was drafted without a jumpshot

11. mikelowery

mikelowery Member

If its not p bev being resigned I believe its Rubio we are going after.

12. newAge_Rockets

I'm all aboard the Darren Collision train. Give Sac-Town Papanikolau and Terrence Jones (?), we're that desperate for a point guard. Hopefully, the Kings pay Rondo so Darren becomes expendable. And since they just rid themselves of Thompson and Landry, they seem to be wayy short on power forwards. T Jones would be a nice pick up for them.

Rondo/McCallum
    McLemore
    Gay
    Jones/WCS
    Cousins/WCS

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

Supposedly Brewer is interested in Sac (they can and probably will pay him). I wonder if we could convince them to do a SnT, with us getting Collison and sending them our 2016 1st. That would still leave us with Papa/Prig and the MLE to add/retain talent.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

15. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

We need Rondo in the worst way. He's basically a Josh Smith but in a PG body. He needs to be given a chance.

He's a championship caliber PG
    He plays good defense (I would say even better than Bev) and steals
    He can run plays and get everyone into the offense
    His bball IQ is high
    He can be had for cheap and not cost us any assets

16. Fantasma Negro

17. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Rubio = playmaking, no defense, no 3 point shooting
    Bev = no playmaking, defense, 3 point shooting
    Collison = playmaking, no defense, 3 point shooting

You might as well call Pat Riley ... Mario Chalmers is a 'perfect fit' and has an expiring contract. :rolleyes:

18. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Rubio is actually a great defender. His only flaw is his shooting. It's an enormous flaw tho

19. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

I'm going way out of left field. And will suggest,

Langston Galloway. Always like him since his 19 points game against rox.

20. kchin

kchin Member

Everyone on that lists would be an upgrade over P Bev.

One thing I've come to notice about the Rockets and Texans is that point guards and quarterbacks are not important