1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I injured my foot (avulsion fracture) , but the DR's don't think it's serious.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OldfanofTmac, Jul 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

Last week, due to some negligent person in a pickup game, I suffered an avulsion fracture. Basically, a very small chunk of the bone on the outside of my foot broke off, as per the X-Ray.

ER doctor wasn't really concerned, said to take it easy and to use the orthopedic shoe and crutches as needed.

A week later (today) , I saw an orthopedic (based on the referral from the ER doctor). He too wasn't really concerned. Just said to avoid sports for 2 months or so.

I can put my full weight on it and can walk (although with a limp) on it now, after not being able to put any weight on it a day or two after the injury.

Anyways, my question is, what will happen to that chunk of bone that broke off from my foot? I forgot to ask the Dr.

It can't just disappear into thin air, which has me worried that it could cause later problems. Anyone have any idea / experience with an avulsion fracture in their foot?

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Seriously though....

[​IMG]

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

You need to see Dr. C. Ronaldo. He'll definitely be able to find that bone just floating around.

[​IMG]

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Basically your body will take care of it and eat it up. I'm actually giving a serious response.

5. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

Thanks for the mature / straight forward response. I can only hope the other 2 users are teenagers and not grown men.

Will it possibly re-attach itself to the main bone?

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

bones still have blood circulation running through them.

your body will adjust and remove the broken off part on its own.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Daughter broke two bones in her foot in a high school basketball tournament (a larger girl came down awkwardly on her foot when she was making a cut). She was out 8 weeks. No surgery or hard cast (walking boot with crutches). The orthopedic cleared her to play after 8 weeks. She was experiencing pain her first few weeks back which effected her play and even after a few months she still wasn't running or cutting with her usual speed and aggression. Its been 6-7 months now and she is almost completely over it (she says its occasionally sore).

Ziggy likes this.
  8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think my feet may be broken.

They're always sore.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I bet you Yao Ming made that very same post to a Chinese website back in the day.

"Yeah, I can still play despite the pain, but where did that bone spur go.?"

10. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

oldfanoftmac,

the doctors may have looked at the x-ray and seen that the broken off bone is very small and not too far from the site where it is broken off.

surgery is not necessary for this, as the bone will naturally reattach and heal.

just continue to ice the area of injury and do normal range of motion exercises to rehab that foot.

you'll be fine.

11. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

lmao at ZBoy and Donkey Punch hahahahahahahahahahaha

But I think vstexs is right.