1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Should 16 year olds drive?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by fatman510, Sep 15, 2003.

Tags:
?

What should the legal driving age be?

1. 16

14 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. 17

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. 18

28 vote(s)
    56.0%
  4. 19

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 20

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. fatman510

fatman510 Member

There has been a lot of debate over whether the legal driving age should be 16 or 18 (or 17 for that matter.)
    What people dont realize is that most teenage driving deaths occur in the ages 18-19 as opposed to 16-17. This could mean that drivers at 16-17 are just more cautious during their first few years of driving and then get more relaxed at 18-19 or it could mean that more teenagers are driving at 18-19.

What, in your opinion, should the legal driving age be?
    Also, if you have any kids that are at the legal driving age, do you feel comfortable with you child behind the wheel at ages 16-20?

[​IMG]

2. BBnP4l

BBnP4l Member

I think the student needs to be at least a junior is High School.

3. Timing

Timing Member

It might just be that there are far more 18/19 year old drivers out there. We really need the numbers as a percentage of the drivers for it to be accurate. I don't think anyone should be able to drive until they're 18. I can't even mention the number of times I've seen some 16 year old 105 pound girl on a cellphone driving a megaton SUV monstrosity about to pummel me into a ditch because she's not paying attention.

4. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Easy....18. Most of these young kids don't know how to drive and their parents compound an already bad situation by purchasing a vehicle out of whack for their limited skills and zeal for danger. Maybe we could keep the 16 year old age for a driver's license if the tests were more difficult, but personally, I'd like to see it raised to 18. Car crashes kill more kids than anything else.

5. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Amen to that. My parents smartly outfitted me with a 1973 Ninety-Eight Oldsmobile. It was a tank, got terrible gas mileage and had zero pickup. This made me drive slow and efficiently (I had to pay for gas), and if I was in an accident, I'd probably be OK.

Of course, I hated my parents for it at the time.

6. Panda

Panda Member

No, because I didn't get to drive at 16. Muwahahahhaha...

7. TraJ

TraJ Member

I wouldn't mind leaving it at 16, but changing some other things. If you get so much as a parking ticket when you're 16 or 17, your license is suspended until your 18th birthday--and then only if you pass the test again.

I've got another law I'd like to see passed. It would be among the first if I were suddenly king. IF YOU CAN'T PARK ANYTHING BIGGER THAN A HONDA CIVIC, YOU CAN'T DRIVE ANYTHING BIGGER THAN A HONDA CIVIC. I can't stand it when people effectively take up two spaces. They park that big Suburban back tire on the line with the back rear bumber taking up about a quarter of the next parking place. If they can't get it between the lines, make them trade it in for a Civic--with a bumber sticker on the back that says, "I'm too incompetent to drive anything bigger."

8. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Ahhhh that annoys me so much, especially here in California where the parking spaces are tiny.

9. bamaslammer

Exactly what you should've been driving. Your parents were on the ball with that for sure. My first vehicle was a 1970 International Harvester pickup that was bought new by my Dad. I had to fix it up (it was 15 years old and beat up badly after years of fishing and commutes to the oil refinery where my Dad worked), but we repainted it and put a new interior in it.

By the time I joined the Corps, it was fully restored. Last year, I replaced the worn-out (two rebuilds) motor that I couldn't find parts for with a factory-fresh Cummins diesel and an Allison automatic. So basically I popped out 12 grand for the best towing pickup on Earth. But it was perfect for me as a young driver. It was a tank (IH builds tractors and the toughest trucks you've never heard of) and the bed was perfect for keg parties.

But the trip down memory lane aside, the statistics are pretty damning when it comes to idiocy of these kids on the road. When I was in my Porsche, I had some kids in a Vette wanting to race me. Who in their right mind gives the keys to a high-speed deadly weapon like a Vette to a h/s school kid with more balls than brains?

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Both the legal driving and drinking age should be 18.

11. fatman510

fatman510 Member

I completely disagree with you on this.
    The drinking age should be kept at 21 if the driving age is 18 because if the legal drinking and driving age come at the same time, teenagers will asscociate drinking with driving, and would probably drink and drive. Teenagers need driving experience without alcohol for a while before alcohol can be introduced into their lives.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I am sure a LARGE percent of teenagers are already introduced to alcohol by the time they are driving.

I am just thinking about Europe, since I lived there for a number of years. As I am sure you know, both privilages are granted at age 18. The USA has one of the biggest problems with binge drinking and drunk drivers. (i cant site my self right now, about to head out, but I will later)

I dont know exactly where I am trying to go with this. I think what I am trying to say is that driving leagal age should be moved back a year or so.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I started driving when I was 15, but the age was lower then. All you had to have was a joke of a course from a PE teacher. The only accidents I've ever had were the fault of someone else. (like the s.o.b. who ran a red light and tried to kill me)

Now, being the hypocrite I am and having children 12 and 7 years old, I can say without reservation that there is no way in hell they will sniff being behind the wheel until they're... uh, as old as I can get away with.

14. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'm with bamaslammer and Greenvegan76. 18 and a parental common sense limit on what they drive. At 16, I learned to drive on a 62 Ford Falcon wagon. But at 17, my parents bought me a 69 SS/RS Camaro that was far from stock. My brother had souped-up 57 Chevy when he was 18. It's a miracle we are still alive and we didn't take anyone else down with us. The bad thing now is even some Honda Accords have 260 hp. Get the 4 banger and remove a spark plug wire - when they turn 21 wrap-up the missing plug wire as a gift.

#14 ArtV, Sep 16, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2003
  15. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The driving age should remain at 16...

The working age, however, should be lowered to 10, giving a kid 6 years to save up the money to buy a car...

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Im Houston at least, having a job and having a car go hand-in-hand. If you want a job, you need to be able to get there. Depending on your situation, you might be able to bum a ride or take a bus, but it isn't uncommon for a lack of a car being a deal-breaker in employment. So, if legal working age is 16, I think driving age should also be 16.

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I was legally licensed to drive in the State of Texas at 14 (1967).
    I had 3 wrecks before I was 18! Though none were technically my fault , it was probably no coincidence.

18. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

It should also be noted that the higher frequency of accidents among younger people could also be attributable to the fact that they haven't been driving very long. If you pushed the minimum age back to 18, then it could very well mean that 18-22 is the highest frequency age range, instead of 16-20. My point is that people naturally assume it is a maturity issue, when it could also be an experience issue.

Trader_Jorge is one of the best drivers on the road who has not been stopped for a traffic violation in over 7 years. But then again, when you drive a Luxury SUV you tend to take extra precaution.

19. bamaslammer

TJ, when we mean that the driving age would be 18, that would be for unsupervisored driving (like a regular license). You'd still get your learner's permit at 15, but you'd have three years of supervision under your belt before you got your license rather than the one now. Good point nonetheless.

20. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

T_J makes a good point about experience being more of a factor than age. But bamaslammer's idea sounds pretty good to me.