1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

No Deal Dodgers pull out after Carlos can't agree to trade

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
    Dodgers are talking to Astros about a trade that would send Jed Lowrie to the Dodgers,with minor-leaguers Zach Lee and Garrett Gould to HOU.

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
    Sources are saying that there could be others involved in Lowrie/Lee-Gould discussions between Dodgers and Astros.

I don't know anything about prospects so I can't comment.

3. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Oh good grief. Just because one of our players does well doesn't mean we have to trade him. It's all right for the Astros to have a good player.

1 person likes this.
  4. delishman

delishman Member

lee and gould are top 10 prospects in dodgers system. kevin goldstein has them at #19 in organizational rankings going into this year (he has us at 21 i believe). i'm not big on moving lowrie now, not really ready for the angel sanchez era to start up again until some of our younger guys are ready, but might as well explore possibilities. if nothing else, it's nice to see that lowrie is worth top tier talent right now. trust lunhow!

5. ThaShark316_28

Who's going to give you better than that though? Lee's a top prospect, and Gould is a top guy in their org. I can't see us getting better than THIS...unless you got something better in mind.

6. ThaShark316_28

How bout two good players there, sir?

7. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Gould was pulled right before his start tonight against Lancaster

8. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

If Lowrie is traded, Marwin Gonzalez would be the everyday SS. He has shown some flashes of being decent. Jonathan Villar is not far away either.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this might actually be a good time to trade. It is still possible that Lowrie's season is just one long hot streak of half a year. It has happened before. Or perhaps they are worried he will get injured again. At any rate if they get a good return for him, I'm alright with them trading the guy.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Gould is a good prospect too. He's not a throw-in type. He's legitimately one of the top guys in their farm system and arguably a top 100 prospect in baseball.

Zach Lee would become the best pitching prospect in our farm system. He would be right there with Singleton and Springer in terms of value.

If there is any truth to this and it does go down we would be getting some serious value back. Talk about selling high.

11. Apps

Apps Member

I don't know much about Lowrie, but seeing that the names being thrown around are Lee and Gould, I already hate this from the Dodgers' perspective. Lee is supposed to be a number 2/3 guy in the rotation now that Bills has shown he can't put up consistently good numbers. Both Lee and Gould have struggled this year, but Lee is our top prospect and Gould isn't too far behind.

All I see are Lowrie's numbers, and I get that a 14 HR SS is a commodity, but I think you guys would win this one based on future potential alone. Maybe the Dodgers feel like they can pull the trigger on this because you guys will be in the AL when Lee is finally ready to see the majors.

With the recent signing of Yasiel Puig (though I admit I am excited about the high reward potential), I am not so sure how much longer Colletti is gonna be in L.A. ...

12. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure how to link, Ken Rosenthal is saying it's Carlos Lee going to LA.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%2523Dodgers">#Dodgers</a>' talks with <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%2523Astros">#Astros</a> involve Carlos Lee, not Jed Lowrie. Lee would need to approve deal. Has right to block trade to LAD.</p>&mdash; Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/218898276370493441" data-datetime="2012-06-30T02:46:30+00:00">June 30, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>As of now, P Zach Lee, Dodgers' first-rounder from '10, not part of Carlos Lee discussions....</p>&mdash; Tim Brown (@TBrownYahoo) <a href="https://twitter.com/TBrownYahoo/status/218901524942831618" data-datetime="2012-06-30T02:59:25+00:00">June 30, 2012</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Taking on <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%2523Astros">#Astros</a>' C. Lee, who is owed just under $9M for rest of season, likely would not require <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%2523Dodgers">#Dodgers</a> to part with major prospects.</p>&mdash; Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/218902618511118338" data-datetime="2012-06-30T03:03:45+00:00">June 30, 2012</a></blockquote>

#13 J.R., Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  14. cardpire

cardpire Member

holy crap!

i guess we are gonna take on every penny of the remaining salary if that goes down.

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Chris Reed and we'll call it a day

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Carlos Lee and an LA diet, hilarious.

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Dodgers asked about Lowrie,but he's now not in current talks. Source says 50-50 shot that Carlos Lee accepts a deal to L.A. for P prospects.</p>&mdash; Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/218904130457059328" data-datetime="2012-06-30T03:09:46+00:00">June 30, 2012</a></blockquote>

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

stole $100MM from us...is it really too much to ask to do us a favor and go play for a good team for 3 months on his way out?

19. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

ship lee out thats a great trade.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Dodgers, trying to add a big bat, are in discussions with the Astros about a trade for first baseman Carlos Lee, according to major-league sources.

Lee, 36, would need to approve the trade — the Dodgers are one of 14 teams that cannot acquire him without his permission, according to sources with knowledge of his contract.

The Dodgers, who are using Juan Rivera and James Loney at first base, rank next-to-last in the National League in OPS at the position. They currently are playing without their 2-3-4 hitters — second baseman Mark Ellis, center fielder Matt Kemp and right fielder Andre Ethier — and fell out of first place Thursday for the first time since April 11.

Lee is owed just under $9 million for the rest of the season, after which he will become a free agent. Players normally require a financial inducement to waive no-trade protection. But for Lee, playing in a pennant race might amount to the same thing, enabling him to raise his value on the open market.

The Dodgers, under new ownership, prefer to take on expensive contracts in trades rather than part with top prospects, sources say. The Astros, in exchange for financial relief, would accept lesser players in such a deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.