1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Marcus Camby

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SaFe, Jul 1, 2004.

1. SaFe

SaFe Contributing Member

This is the first trade topic I have ever posted, so take it easy on the flames please. ;)

I don't know how TE works and what Camby would demand, but assuming he wants a decent sized contract, is it possible to work a sign and trade for him. The first team I can think of who can do this would be Utah Jazz. Obviously they have a lot money for FAs and they probably aren't gonna be able to get anyone good, they ARE the Utah Jazz. :p So, say we send them Howard which should interest them somewhat, plus something else to sweeten the deal for them, and TE to make salaries match.

Reason why I think Utah would consider this is that there really isn't a PF that they can sign that is much better then Howard. The presumed weakness of Howard is his rebounding (though I don't think its bad, just not great), something Utah doesn't lack. They have Harpring and Krilenko who both average 8 a game, and assuming they sign Ostertag which I think they will, they will still get the 7 from him.

Why Rockets do this? Bringing Camby in would fill our PF slot with a lot more toughnes.....sounds weird, Camby and toughness. :eek: Plus his shotblocking skill next to Yao would be of tremendous help to our defence. His familiarity with JVG's expectation also doesn't hurt either. The best part however, would be that this would basically solve our backup C problem. Camby is definitely capable of giving Yao the 10 min or so rest he needs for C and we would have our 3 man rotation like last year.

The thing about TE, what happens after u use it. Is it just gone, or does Utah hold the TE once we hand it over? Thats the part I don't understand, is there any reason why a team would want TE beside dumping salary?
    What do you guys think, is it a pipedream or is this possible?

2. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Last i heard was Camby wants to remain a Nugget.

3. SaFe

SaFe Contributing Member

I'm sure JVG can do some convincing, with him we can without a doubt play championship level defense. Camby can say what he likes, there is no lure like a championship ring. I hope :D.

btw, here are his stats.

4. roxan1

roxan1 Member

I'm not sure how it works either but if that could somehow be accomplished ( Camby back w/JVG ) I'd do it! I have wondered the same thing. Camby would be more of what most of us hoped EG would have been. A tough defensive minded PF to protect Yao.

5. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Am I overlooking the part that explains how we get Camby from Denver by sending Howard to Utah?

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I don't think EG was drawing comparasons to Tim Duncan by being a tough, defensive minded PF :)

7. SaFe

SaFe Contributing Member

Sign and trade ... duh. God did you even read? btw Camby is unrestricted FA.

8. roxan1

roxan1 Member

Maybe we can work a threeway somehow. Seems that the Nuggets could be intrested in Kmart. But this is being reported by chad ford so... take it with a grain of salt.

9. noming

noming Contributing Member

I was looking at espn.com and its says that camby is a unrestriced FA.
    We can sign him for the MLE since the rockets are over the cap and can't offer more. Not sure if he would do it though.

Best Option would be to some how unload Taylor or Howard in a trade even if it takes giving away 1st round picks and then work a sign and trade deal with Denver.

I would also got after these three point guards in this order

1. Carlos Arroyo
    2. Marko Jaric, he would give the rockets a huge backcourt.
    3. Damon Jones, stats for 2003-04 look good

Line up

C- Yao 7'5"

PF - Camby 6'11" (Can play center when Yao is on the bench like Cato did this past year)

SF - Nachbar 6' 10"

SG - McGrady 6'8"

PG - Jaric 6-7" or Arroyo 6'2" or Jones 6'3"

Bench

Jim Jackson - Start but rather have experience on the bench
    Taylor or Howard which ever we can't trade, back up PF & Center
    Gaines - Back up PG and SG
    Lue - Back up PG
    Piatkowski - Back Up SG & SF
    Weatherspoon - Back up PF

10. SaFe

SaFe Contributing Member

The whole point is that Camby probably will demand more then MLE. Thats why we sign and trade, I think if a deal can be worked out, he is in my honest opinion, worth it.

11. B-ball freak

Ok, only Denver can sign and trade him. What I am asking is, what does Utah send to Denver to make that work? Duh, yourself.

12. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

Last I read in the same ESPN article, Camby really wants to stay in Denver. They said he actually would talk to opposing players about coming to play for the Nuggets before tipoff at games last season.

doesn't sound like a guy about to jump ship to me.

Of course, the lure of a ring could change his mind.

13. Raven

Raven Member

It's my turn to say something reckless.

Marcus camby would make the Rockets instant favorites to win the West.

14. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Camby or Rasheed would be great fit, but both are pipe dreams.

15. SaFe

SaFe Contributing Member

If he is unrestricted FA, is he not allowed to do sign with another team and then traded to us. Why is it only Denver that can sign and trade. Sorry I'm confused, maybe there is a rule I'm missing. :confused:

16. roxan1

roxan1 Member

If we sign and trade why don't we work this one out with NJ. Call me crazy but atleast they would recieve something in return. Im not a capologist but deal would be:

kmart - denver
    camby - htown
    howard (or MO ) - NJ

Hey we did get Tmac didn't we? All things are possible, well most.

17. B-ball freak

He is Denver's UFA. A team cannot sign and trade another team's UFA's. Utah cannot sign Camby just to send him on to Houston.

18. SaFe

SaFe Contributing Member

Oh I see. That make sense. I just thought the "unrestrict" part would mean he can sign anywhere he please. O'well scrap my post then. Pipedream afterall. :(

19. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

IMO, this should have been the first person CD, JVG and McGrady talked to today.

Camby is happy in Denver but perhaps his old boss and Houston's newest superstar could lure him with thoughts of championship basketball.

He'd essentially have to agree to a pay cut and the full MLE. Once Denver realizes they're going to lose him for nothing, I'm sure they'd be willing to take our TE and a pick for him.

We could then turn the MLE into Fisher and Eric Williams.

Just my 2 cents.

But unless we're making a big time recruitment effort with Camby, it's certainly not going to happen. In another thread, I read where CD said he hadn't called anybody today...everybody had called him. I certainly hope that was bravado talking and not reality.

The fact is we can sit on our laurels and nab Fisher and a backup 5, but the opportunity is there to do more. Will the Rockets rise to the occasion or just be happy with our big trade and wait for the middle-of-the-road free agents to come to us?

20. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

Double post. Sorry.