1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Expectations for the Texans this season

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Anonymous8, May 9, 2015.

1. Anonymous8

Anonymous8 Member

What's your expectations for the Texans this season since draft is over and FA is pretty much over. You have a good idea of what the roster will look like now.

2. jbasket

jbasket Member

No poll...?

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Random negatives - We took advantage of an easy schedule last year. We lost Kolar, the only DL coach Watt has known. Historical data makes it tough to believe Clowney will contribute. We're thin on the offensive line and linebacker.

Random positives - O'Brien gradually improved throughout the year. Cushing (if he's okay) will show improvement 2-years post-recovery + having a full year in the system (very important for the every-down ILB). This is the first year in a while we navigated free agency well, we didn't lose a ton of depth or major contributors outside of AJ.

QB - Ceiling is higher but realistically there's no reason to assume we're in better shape here. Fitzpatrick, despite his shortcomings, was still just a slightly below average-to-average QB in the NFL. There's just not a lot of talent out there. It is what it is. You also have to factor in the loss of
    AJ. Whether he's in decline or not losing AJ is going to negatively impact the QB position.

Best players - Hard to believe Watt can get much better than he is now. I think Cushing improves but doesn't warrant his contact value and probably isn't one of our tier 1 players anymore (he wasn't last year). Hopkins will need to adjust to the WR1. Duane Brown is no longer elite. Foster is going to miss 3-5 games. KJ will be better with an additional year under his belt. Not sure who's in position to breakout - any ideas? I suppose Hopkins & KJ are the frontrunners. Betting on Merciless or Moore seems foolish.

I wouldn't be surprised if we're a better team but wind up with the same record due to tougher competition and a lack of immediate impact from our recent draft classes.

#4 Ziggy, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
  5. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Back in February, OB stated that it was "...no secret" that Texans needed WR, OL, RB, ILB and ST's.
    They addressed RB in FA, with Chris Polk, and the rest they drafted - with one notable exception - OL.
    I think Texans will attempt to add one vet Olineman before it's all said and done.
    I picked 9-7 for us last season and I predict they will go at least one better this coming season. My reasons are:-
    Offense - we had a very disrupted QB situation last season. This go round, it will be much more stable and I believe that either Mallett or Hoyer will be an upgrade over Fitzpatrick as they have better knowledge of the system. Fitz was obviously lost at times and lacked a deep ball.
    Both Mallett and Hoyer do not have these deficiencies and at the most crucial position of QB, this will be a significant upgrade on it's own.
    The rest of the Offense is pretty much status quo with the exception of the addition of another vet RB in case of another Foster injury.
    The Oline is reshuffled and has a key piece missing, but his student, Ben Jones should make the adjustment quickly and Mallett showed he can organize the line also.
    I see some adjustment time to fully gel, but it should be okay with a full preseason to practice.
    Defense - the addition of Vince Wilfork I believe will be significant for this unit, not only for his skill but also for his example and leadership. His ability to "liberate" Watt from so many double teams should be a real boon for this team.
    Rahim Moore should add some skill in the backfield and I reckon KJoe will quickly slide into the secondary and be a real help.
    ST's - enjoyed some attention in the draft, but mostly with rookies, so the unit may still languish near the bottom end of the stat sheet.

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

I expect them to play with more toughness and fire than the Rockets, which shouldn't require much effort.

7. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

gotta win 10 games

8. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Kickin' ass. takin' names and winnin' 9-11 of our games!! :eek:

9. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Two defensive players get double digit sacks. Arian Foster continues to carry offensive load. Cushing is much improved. Mallet throws many more TDs than interceptions and lastly we make the playoffs as the wildcard with a 10-6 record.

10. Mr. Clutch

B'Ob took a 2-14 team with tons of holes, had a horrible draft, and still made it to 9-7.

Yes, the schedule was easy but it will be easy again this year.

We upgraded QB, defense, and RB. WR and ST is to be seen. Not many OL moves, but our OL was good last year.

I feel like B'Ob has gotten more of his kind of versatile and big players instead of having to rely on Kubiak's guys.

The health of Foster, Cushing, Clowney and JJo are obviously big wildcards.

#10 Mr. Clutch, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
  11. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I think our Recieving core is pretty good this year. A lot of depth with Hopkins, Strong, Shorts, Johnson, and Washington.

12. Mr. Clutch

Shorts and Washington were cheap castoffs. We got two middle of the draft guys. Hopkins is obviously very good, but he also had Andre on the other side to take pressure off.

I hope you're right, but it remains to be seen.

13. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I thought Damaris Johnson had a good year last season. I'd expect him to get more slot time this season.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

We improved, but so did the opposition. I see 9-10 wins as well; if we sneak into the playoffs, with the defense we have we would be a much more dangerous team this year than last.

15. magman

magman Member

Anything less than battling for a playoff spot would be a disappointing.

Ideally would love to win the Super Bowl, but making playoffs is a more realistic goal.

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

9-7 at best.

Texans make playoffs or not. Radio and Fans will say nice try for coming up short.

17. Mr. Clutch

Sneaky contenders.

Black-horse candidates for championship.

18. Buck Turgidson

Playoffs.

That's right Jim Mora, I said playoffs.

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Beat the Colts at their place ...for the FIRST TIME EVER

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Easy schedule, improved roster, I expect at least 10 wins and a playoff game.....anything else is gravy. Of course, if Mallett flops on his face, it could prove difficult.