1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN headline after Jeremy Lin loss: "Chink in the Armor"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Child_Plz, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think someone is going to be fired over this.

2. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

Wow real clever. Guy must be gushing over himself to think of something that smart.

3. Kronos

Kronos Member

I don't know..."chink in the armor" cracked me up...though maybe it's bc im drunk...

lol..

i'm so lonely.

3 people like this.
  4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

It's pretty clever.

but yeah not cool.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Lmao chink in the armor.dude must have already been planning to quit if he allowed that to get on the website.

6. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

hahahahahaahah chink in the armor classic

7. dback816

dback816 Member

Doubt it

Nobody gets fired over asians here

8. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Prawned. LOL

Asian-American sensation Jeremy Lin of the New York Knicks has arguably received more than his share of accolades in the past two weeks, bursting on the scene as an NBA star and gaining attention throughout the world.

Enlarge
    (Photo: ESPN.com Screenshot)
    ESPN.com has apologized for using the headline "Chink in the Armor" after the New York Knicks and Jeremy Lin lost to the New Orleans Hornets Friday night.
    SHARE THIS STORY
    inShare

RELATED ARTICLES
    China acts to crank up credit as lending, economy slow
    China to crank up credit as lending, economy slow
    Unforgettable Groucho Marx

But after the New Orleans Hornets ended the New York's seven-game winning streak, ESPN.com took a dig at Lin, using the headline "Chink in the Armor" on its mobile sites. The headline, accompanying a photo of Lin, was distributed to ESPN.com's mobile users.

The term "chink" is a derogatory word for a Chinese or Asian person, and Lin is of Taiwanese descent.

The headline, quickly removed Saturday night after only 10 to 15 minutes, follows an MSG graphic that also drew criticism, as it showed Lin's face over a fortune cookie with the headline "The Knicks Good Fortune."

Realizing the sensitive nature of its headline, ESPN issued a statement early Saturday apologizing for its "Chink in the Armor" mistake: "Last night, ESPN.com's mobile Web site posted an offensive headline referencing Jeremy Lin at 2:30 am ET. The headline was removed at 3:05 am ET. We are conducting a complete review of our cross-platform editorial procedures and are determining appropriate disciplinary action to ensure this does not happen again. We regret and apologize for this mistake."

9. SunsRocketsfan

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/02/18/really-espn/

REALLY, ESPN? ‘CHINK IN THE ARMOR’?

“We want to give ESPN the benefit of the doubt here,” writes Cyd Ziegler Jr., “but it’s impossible to believe the person who wrote that headline didn’t know exactly what they were writing. Especially since ESPN previously came under fire for using the same headline…to describe a USA basketball game in China.” || Mobile screenshot of the headline.

ESPN’S STATEMENT:
    <UL>Last night, ESPN.com’s mobile web site posted an offensive headline referencing Jeremy Lin at 2:30 am ET. The headline was removed at 3:05 am ET. We are conducting a complete review of our cross-platform editorial procedures and are determining appropriate disciplinary action to ensure this does not happen again. We regret and apologize for this mistake.</UL>

11. conquistador#11

the guy should just use the ' i blame my mother for giving me such a great sense of humor' excuse. =/

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Wow.
    That guy went full r****d.

Still funny though. :p

#12 RedRedemption, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  13. Convictedstupid

Laughed pretty hard.

He dun goofd.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Punsanity!

1 person likes this.
  15. thething

thething Contributing Member

Wow, I didn't even know "Chink" was a term for that. I had to read the article to find out what part of it was offensive.

I'll give the writer the benefit of the doubt on this one.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I might be racist, but it was a incredibly fitting headline. It works on many levels and had it not been for the negative connotation the headline would have been great. If chink simply meant Asian instead of having a racist history it would be gold.

17. spookyoldtree

spookyoldtree Member

You're right.

Space Ghost likes this.
  18. trugoy

trugoy Member

A little education on the word "chink", it is the equivalent of the N-word as related to chinese people.

There is NO excuse for ESPN, they knew exactly what they were doing.

If an announcer used the phrase during a live telecast, I would give them the benefit of the doubt that they might not realise the derogatory meaning of the word.

If the phrase was used within an article, then there is still some excuse that it was a "rogue" writer, or that the phrasing was unfortunate and slipped through.

This headline was the main headline on ESPN, companies like ESPN hire copywriters whose ONLY job is to come up with headlines that grab attention and get more clicks and views to their articles. Front page headlines are debated, discussed, by multiple people, approved by multiple editors before they go live.

There is ZERO ignorance in this headline, they knew exactly what they were doing, and the racial meaning was fully intended.

1 person likes this.
  19. JMG524

JMG524 Member

Are u freakin kidding me?? There's nothing witty or funny about this headline without the racist undertone. If it was used to describe a player of any other race, it wouldn't even be considered that clever. This would only be funny to racists or people with an incredibly immature sense of humor.

20. VanityHalfBlack

It kind of started with this idiot...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ESEGRwnQW4k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>