1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much will Yao get since Oden 8.8M qualifying offer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SugarLandDream8, Jun 30, 2011.

1. SugarLandDream8

Yao has been much healthier than Greg Oden during their careers.

Oden played 82 games averaged 9.4ppg, 7.3 rpg, 1.4 bpg

Yao played 486 games averaged 19 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 1.9 bpg

Yao is clearly a better player and more durable than Greg Oden.

Oden's 8.8 million qualifying offer means he can sign 1 year with the Blazers for 8.8 million dollar then become an unrestricted free agent. Unless I'm mistaken.

So the question is how much would it cost to resign Yao to a 1 or 2 year deal.

A lot of people think vet min of 1 million would be enough but looking at what Oden commands I'm not sure.

I always though 5-6 MLE type money would be needed. Some have argued Yao is a 9-10 million/year guy

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Oden is 22 and has played more games than yao in the last 2 yrs. I wouldn't spend anything on either.

3. SugarLandDream8

I'm not asking what you would pay for those 2. I'm trying to see what people think their market value is. What teams around the NBA would offer them. Oden's rate is around 9/million per year.

So is Yao still vet min 1/million per

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Not the same situation. Yao has already said he'll retire if this doesn't work out. Oden is too young to take that approach. I dont think this will happen, but Oden could potentially "fix" his issues, if they are related to his developed mechanics. On the other hand, it's likely Yao's issues are structural and not able to be fixed.

5. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

no. i don't think he can fix his problem. can you imagine the older he becomes and the more he plays his body will get better? his problem is related to his bball career. his knee gives up way too earlier. if his problem had nothing to do with playing bball, i would have agreed with you.

6. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Maybe it's just me and that I love the rockets but I really think Yao has a better chance to come back to the player he was or better yet just stay on the court the Greg oden does. Iv followed oden since highschool and college it's not like he started getting hurt in the NBA the guy has been hurt his entire life. I'll take the chance on a proven player who hopefully doctors fixed his issues than a player who just has chronic on repairable knees onces ur knees go u can't fix them atleast with Yao there's a couple of cases were players have made comebacks from injuries similar to his

1 person likes this.
  7. kevtse

kevtse Member

any update on Yao's recovery? Will he be on time for season opener?

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Yeah, if the opener is in Late January.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I dont believe any player has really came back from injuries such as yao's. Just one of his injuries maybe, but in this combination, with the procedure he had done? I dont think so. Zydrunas came back after having the realignment done, but he didn't have a break right after like Yao.

i think it comes down to the possible upside of Yao getting healthy. If it happens, then anything up to about 10 million would be a bargain. I think he's going to need 1-2 yrs to show he's healthy, so 5 million for two years is a realistic deal IMO.

10. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Knowing Morey, he's going to have some flexible contract in place. If Yao plays like 75% of the games, I think we can pay him like 9 mil a year. But if he ends up being injured, then I think we will only end up paying like 2 million and let insurance play it's role.

We are going to have some incentive based contract in place lol

11. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

money is not an issue. the issue is how much his contract will be counted against the cap. his salary must be cap friendly if we do end with signing him.

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Somebody explain the difference between making a qualifying offer to a restricted free agent and having an unrestricted free agent before my head explodes.

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

How do you figure that Oden could "fix" his injury issues? His mechanics are off? His last injury occurred when he went up for a rebound, came down and his knee snapped in half - had nothing to do with his mechanics. The guy has had microfracture surgery on both knees. If Yao's problems are "structural" then the same can be said for Oden. If that's not a big red flag to stay away then I do know what folks around here would need to convince them. The desperation on this board is stifling.

1 person likes this.
  14. Yonizzel

Yonizzel Rookie

If Yao is fair, he will accept the minimum with this in mind:

I've gotten paid by this organization for the past 2 years with barely even playing and screwed over their cap space. I want to pay them back for all they've given me during my injury time and help them win as much as possible so I will help out on cap space.

15. SugarLandDream8

Some Rockets fans just don't like Yao. A lot of them are also Tmac homers who want to blame Yao for Tmac's shortcomings. I've read other mb from other teams fansites where they say Yao is definitely better and more healthy than Greg Oden. They believe Yao could get a one year deal around 10 million. It's a gamble but a 1 year deal is doable plus Yao then becomes a large expiring contract if it doesn't work out and it's just 1 year and they probably get more than 10 million from companies advertising at their Stadium because of Yao.

16. SugarLandDream8

Using that same logic Oden would sign for 1 million a year since he missed 80% of the time during his contract.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

ZERO dollars. Thanks but no thanks to Yao. It's time to move on, guys.

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

the most i'd pay yao if he was able to play is 4 or 5 million. that's to come off the bench and play 20 and in late game situations when they need free throw shooters.

19. SugarLandDream8

I agree with you it's time for Yao to move on but I think there's a good chance he'll be healthy and 18/9/2 guy for another team playing 31 mpg for 75/82 games assuming there is a full season. I see Yao like Grant Hill. Sometimes you got to move to a new team and new medical staff to get healthy. He's just jinxed here. I also see Yao playing these minutes and stats for another 5 years till he is 35 years old and then probably retire.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Mechanics are not limited to actual movement or jumping. Your mechanics are pretty much any movement, while running, jumping, walking, or even simply bending down to tie your shoe laces. The fact that Oden was coming down for a rebound doesn't rule out his mechanics. Also, if something is wrong with them, your body will usually compensate in some way to allow you to run, jump etc., so sometimes it's the minor movements that cause injury. This is because those minor movements aren't as common or repetitive, and the body may get stuck between trying to compensate and trying to move correctly because the connection between mind and muscle at that moment isn't as great.

Also, look at where the injuries are happening for each player. Yao's injuries aren't even at a joint, where most injuries will happen during sports. His repetitive fractures are clearly due to his feet absorbing all the force when he lands. Since he moves well normally, especially for a guy his size, i would say his mechanics are fine, he's just too big for this game.

Oden, on the other hand, probably would have these injuries even if he didnt play ball. His problems are happening within a joint that is NOT made to be that mobile (knee). It pretty much just opens and closes in one direction and the opposite one. For the knee to be moving in a way that it's tearing the ligaments there's either an outside force, like another player, who's crashing into him, or Oden just had messed up mechanics that force his knee to become more mobile than it should be. Usually your hip and ankle, which are on opposite ends of the knee, are the more mobile joints. If they stay mobile/flexible, then your knee's mechanics should be proper. If they don't, then your knee is forced to move more to allow you to run, jump, etc. The connection here is that Oden has oneleg shorter than the other, due to an old hip fracture, IIRC. If that injury screwed up his hip mobility, than that could make his knee more mobile like I mentioned, causing stress on the ligaments. If one leg is having problems like that, eventually your other leg will too because the body as a whole isn't stable.

All that being said, you missed one important thing. I wrote "i dont think this will happen" when I wrote Oden's problem could be fixed. I dont think it will. I've always said HELL NO in any other "let's sign Oden" thread around here. I dont think he can come back and play well. The only reason I'm giving him some hope is because we're comparing him and Yao. Yao pretty much had the only procedure possible to solve his problem, and it seems like it didnt work for him. Oden, on the other hand, hasn't really gone for any radical surgery, he just gets the injury treated/repaired. There may be something else for him out there he hasn't considered because he's just been trying to heal and get back on the court. He's got time, youth, and possibly science/medicine on his side, which Yao doesn't anymore. That's the only reason why i give him better odds than Yao, but that's not saying much.