1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

HAKEEM: HOWARD IS ‘READY’ FOR AN MVP-TYPE SEASON

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ghettocheeze, Oct 17, 2014.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/10/17/hakeem-howard-is-ready-for-an-mvp-type-season/?ls=iref:nbahpt3b

Hakeem is on point here about the back injury and subsequent recovery time and also that Howard and Harden should be the focal-point as the best 1-2 punch in the league. The rest will fit in as pieces on winning teams often do. Honestly, I feel this season is going to be a coming out party for both similar to Shaq and Kobe during the 2000 season when Shaq won his first MVP.

2. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NagLLJ6ZuTw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If Howard plays like this again he could come close

1 person likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/c_Dn9T5NUBQ?showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

hopefully we do more harden/howard pick and rolls this year... i don't want to see howard posting up and harden in the corner. They both need to be involved when their on the court. Dwight ran a lot of pick and rolls when he was in orlando but after the injury he just kinda barely did it. Hopefully he really is healthy. I'm ready for the season!

5. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Harden/Chandler is offended.

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Right on!!!!!

7. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Well let's see how the refs officiate this year. Cause if they officiated for Shaq like how I saw they did in Howard's only preseason game, then Shaq would have never been an All-Star, much less a HOF'er. Howard gets whistled for playing stand-yr-ground tough good D on one end, and then gets whistled at the offensive end when the opponents have skinny small ball centers flopping.

I'm pumped with what Hakeem said and with how Howard looks physically/conditioned this year, but I'm also sick of the officiating they do on him. It reminds me of how crappy they officiated against Yao. I mean we lost a series last year that went to 6 games, all tight, with 3 of them having next morning, official NBA ref "oops we're sorry" statements that all went against us and severely affected the outcome of the game. :mad::mad::mad: /harangue>

1 person likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

There should be outrage at this as it is eliminating strong post players from the game.

The refs shouldn't call a flop period in the post. Play F'n defense. As they call it now, power post players can't dominate like they used to. Which is why you see a lot more tall lanky centers than the old school huge guys with huge shoulders. So many teams can get away with playing guys like Channing Frye at Center because all he has to do to guard Howard is just fall down.

It used to be you'd have to push the guy out of the paint, be stronger than him and prevent getting backed down. Now it's just if you are getting overpowered just fall down. Not sure why the refs fall for this, it's not legit defense at all.

9. bmd

bmd Member

I was always confused at the logic of a big center backing somebody down.

As a defender, you have a right to occupy the space. If the offensive guy runs into you while you are standing there, it should be an offensive foul.

Which is why I never understood how a big guy ramming into a player over and over to move closer to the basket wasn't a foul.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Seems Hakeem believes so strongly in Dwight's readiness that he had to proclaim it in all caps.

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Paging DMo and TJ

12. bongman

bongman Member

This year, I am expecting..
    - 20 ppg
    - 14 rbg
    - 3 apg
    - 2.5 bpg
    - 1 spg
    - 2 new baby mamas
    - 3 offsprings
    - 300 tweets
    - 200 instagrams

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Great that Howard is regaining his form but the problems with him are far more between the ears than with his physical ability. He needs better judgement, more maturity, and he needs to be an actual leader. No more stupid technicals. Make a damn free throw too. Same with Harden, we need that focus on defense. Time to grow up.

1 person likes this.
  14. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

I could not agree any more. Dwight getting called for fouls when he would absolutely DOMINATE the guy guarding him is the lamest **** I've ever seen. You shouldn't be punished for being stronger than the opposing player, especially not in the post.

15. Classic

Classic Member

Yeah, in agreement that it'll be the refs that potentially keep Howard down.

In the Portland series, you had legit big men willing to actually D him up and you all saw what he did. There are too few of those guys league wide so you end up getting the lanky ****ers falling down and euro trash doing their euro crap to get the cheap calls.

Obviously ran into the same issue with Yao. All the time. Just let the big men dominate. Defenses should send the double team not fall down.

#15 Classic, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Damn right!

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He needs to come back from his knee booboo first. :(

19. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

I just pee'd a little

20. Moleb

Moleb Member

About the refs always falling for flops. I think the NBA needs to have the refs play in a mandatory basketball league during the off season so they can realize it takes a lot more force to knock humans down during basketball games. Maybe then they will realize that players who flop are really falling down on purpose.

I'm 5'10 160lbs good shape and stay active. I play match up against people 200-230 lbs who are my height and taller. And I don't go falling down when they back me down in the post.

The flop is horrible for the game, i hate it even when our own players flop. Even Matt Bullard dislikes it when our own players flop.

Too bad the NBA doesn't do automatic 1 game suspension for flopping. It would be wiped off the face of the game if they instituted that. Because that's a huge pay check for an NBA player. And if they player is making Max money that's about $100,000.000 gone from their bank account.

I apologize for rant, but flopping robs so much integrity for the NBA.