1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Australian Rugby League Star Jarryd Hayne Chases Dream To Play In The NFL

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Christopher, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Christopher

Christopher Member

One of the biggest names in Australian sport has today walked away from a million dollar contract to chase his dream of playing in the NFL.

Its a huge task obviously, he has never played American Football before, but he is an outstanding athlete.

I wrote a little bit about the issues he will face transitioning from Rugby League to American Football on my web site: http://www.leaguefreak.com/my-thoug...ision-to-leave-rugby-league-for-the-nfl-8050/

I've been chatting to a lot of people today about his decision. Many of whom have no idea about the NFL. I think he is up against so much other talent that HAVE played the game before...I just can't see any club even thinking of taking a chance on him. Especially considering he is 27 years old.

He is looking at becoming a running back. I think he would be handy to pass to in the back field and allow him to use his natural broken field running to make something happen, but he has to overcome a thousand obstacles before a team even given him that opportunity in practice!

Anyway its a big decision and good luck to him. Thought I'd mention it in here because it will be an interesting story one way or the other.

2. Panda23

Panda23 Member

He is a fantastic athlete, you're right. But I just feel that athletes in the NFL are a tier above.

It's a huge gamble and they were talking about him forgoing something like 7 or 8 million when it all adds up, but good on him.

His desire to continue to play league has obviously totalled off, and with the above said, he's an intriguing prospect.

3. Christopher

Christopher Member

I dont but into the idea that the athletes are better in the NFL. They are just different. You might get that rare athlete thats a cut above the best, that Lebron sort of level athlete, but for the most part I think the best athletes from the NFL and NRL would be as good as one another given the same circumstances.

The way I look at it is this. If a top NFL player at the age of 27 decided he was going to try his hand at playing in the NRL, he would have the same struggles Hayne will have going the other way.

Learning the game is something you just can't do over a couple of years. Changing his attacking or defensive instincts will take time. Changing physically for the demands of the sport. Even after all of that there is then the prospect of beating out a hundred other players that have prepared to play in the NFL over their entire lives.

Its a giant ask, and if he even gets a start on a practice squad he will be going well.

4. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

Will be very interesting to follow, a lot of my Parra mates are shattered as well. He was no doubt put through some testing while in Seattle a few weeks back. I think he can make it, he is a freak and that is coming from an AFL fan.

Also good to finally realise your username on here after laughing at a lot of your tweets.

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

bug guy who is a good north and south runner with explosiveness and the strength to run guys over... Legarrette Blount esque if you will

I think he has a shot if he spends the year trying to learn football maybe catch on with an arena team or CFL or something... if only the NFL had a way to develop players other than the NCAA

6. Buck Turgidson

Hopefully with this guy we can finally put this argument to rest.

Kinda like TMacs of Greece.

7. Christopher

Christopher Member

What's your user name on twitter champ. I'll add you. And yeah...I'm a bit of an animal on Twitter. :grin:

8. Christopher

Christopher Member

I think the athletic side, he will be fine. I would be concerned that if he isn't using the same sort of supplements *cough cough* as others it will put him on the back foot a little. He's a great athlete tho so he should be ok.

His big problem will be translating his athletic ability and skill set into a game he hasn't played before and hasn't got that lifetime of accumulated knowledge about.

As I wrote, a top of the line NFL athlete would have that same issue if they decided they wanted to play in the NRL too.

Either way, it will be fun watching how it all plays out. Hayne is a great athlete, and he probably isn't even the best athlete in the NRL. There are a bunch of NRL players at that elite level.

9. Christopher

Christopher Member

I tend to think he is either going to "make it" quickly, and end up on an NFL roster, or he will be back with the Parramarra Eels. I don't see him even thinking about the CFL where ironically I think he would learn the game and make great use of the extra field space there.

He walked away from at least a $1 million deal at the Eels. It probably would have been closer to $2 million had he taken the NRL offer to not leave to try and play in the NFL. It's a lot of money to give up to potentially earn nothing over the next two or three years just trying to get a foot in the door with an NFL team even as a practice squad member.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Interesting challenge, but I think he would have to spend a couple years familiarizing himself with playbooks and football terminology to be ever be able to see the field on a consistent basis.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

My GF is in Australia right now and people over there are pumped about this. She also says she's run into several people who find out she's from Texas and immediately go off on football, how much they love it, their favorite players, how awesome it must be to live in Texas.

Apparently a large chunk of people stay up drinking starting at like 3am, watch the NFL, then miss class or work.

Tailgating seems to fascinate them.

Random stuff, but relevant. And interesting to me anyways.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Stopped reading at "My GF". ;)

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

polynesians as a group have the highest success rate in making it in the nfl. that said, i don't see a position for him in the nfl. he's too slow for runningback. maybe a chane with special teams, but still can't see the skill sets that'll crossover.

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I was actually more surprised to read about this sport called rugby. Never heard of it before but I spent two hours last night reading about it on Wikipedia. Seems cool. I thought people only played basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer and ping pong.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Rugby is somewhat popular in Texas actually. I think Australian rule rugby is a bit different than normal Rugby. But who knows.

16. downbytheriver

Have any rugby players been remotely successful in the NFL? They can run in the open but just don't have the stop start ability that nfl players have. lack of fast twitch muscle fibers down under.

17. Christopher

Christopher Member

Not Australian rules is completely different.

There are two forms of Rugby.

Rugby Union, which tends to be slower and stops a lot, and Rugby League which is faster, fee flowing and tends to be the better sport to watch.

If you want to see where Hayne comes from search for NRL on YouTube. That's Rugby League. You'll love it!

18. Christopher

Christopher Member

I've been an NFL fan for a long time, and while no doubt NFL fans enjoy the game, very few people in Aus know anything about the game.

The media attention over Haynes decision is because he is a high profile player. It's the same thing that happens when we have seen other sportsmen switch sports here.

Rugby League players tend to be able to switch to other sports and be very good at them. I think the game just tends to turn out great all round athletes because of the nature of it.

19. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

No joke, he said he is learning how to play nfl by playing madden on his ps4.

20. Christopher

Christopher Member

No NRL player has ever attempted to switch to the NFL. They do have the athletic ability to do it. No doubt about that.