1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The New Tracy McGrady.........

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Thought about putting this is the (ludicrious) Tmac=Stevie Franchise thread, but decided to make is a elongated post/rant of its own.... In a rarely seen post dedicated to praising Tracy Mcgrady.

I for one, am stoked at how the year has gone to this point. Considering the number of new rotation players, I have been pleasantly suprised with ball movement, and the offense overall. I believe turnovers will decline, as the team reaches a higher level of chemistry. I compare this with the ball movement of 04-05, but something about it, I like better. I think that this team, beats that one.

Yao has finally ascended, and the only idiot pundits left, are mostly the ones outside of the Houston scene, who do not bother to watch the game, but to swim with the biased media tide.

Life is back in the Toyota center, and every game so far has been a blast. I love the atmosphere in their, and it is helping the team.

But while Yao is the engine of this team, I for one have been truly impressed with McGrady. I knew that Yao would be dominant.... It was more of a question how McGrady could slip into the supporting role.

His offense has not been the best, but seems to be sharpening...... And thats the lowpoint.

I think a lot of the negativty on this board directed atTracy Mcgrady is polarized through a lens, of the ideas;(1) that he is still a number 1 option and (2) that his scoring numbers are in direct corrolation with his game effectiveness.

Both of these I feel are false.

Yao is a historic center, maybe not Shaq or Hakeem. But lets say he gets 25ppg 11 reb 2 blocks for the rest of his career and/or a few championships. Even without the championships, those are attainable and also very impressive stats.

Point being, even with McGrady, Yao has to be the definitive number one option on this team.

AND THE BEAUTFIUL PART- IS TMAC SEES IT!!!!!!!!!!

It is great to watch him as well as Yao this year. McGrady is making Yao better, Head better, Alston has been decent offensively. He gets Battier shots. I bet he finishes the season with over 7.5 apg.

McGrady is definetly not the same player he was. But his court vision is paramount. He is rebounding, playing good team D, and being more of a pg than he ever has been. I truly believe this is the beginning of the transition that so many greats (Jordan, Olajuwon etc) have made at the ends of their careers to compensate for physical decline.

I bet McGrady finishes the Year at 22 7 and 7. Some, need to start looking at the situation from a fresh angle, and wait for the playoffs.

We need to wait a bit longer IMO for Tmac to finishing blossoming into this role, before making some of the judgements or assumptions that are being made.
    He still impacts the game, albeit in different ways, as much as he ever did.

We are going to at least the WCF.

2. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I like your pov on this, but one thing I will say is I don't believe tracy has truely lost a step. I don't think he's trying as hard as he possibly can, and as you said it's going to take a little for his shots to get back to where they used to be. that's not to say that I don't feel like tracy is giving it his all, it's to say that he has another gear like all great players do. if you saw him 2 years ago in the playoffs compared to what he does on a night in night out basis you would understand what I'm referring to.

he will be there come playoff time, and he'll be alot more rested with yao taking all the pressure off him. it's going to be a good year.

3. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

tmacs skills should continue to sharpen... i agree. and it IS beautiful to see two stars work so well together.

i still see some issues with our supporting cast... but in the end the jazz's record will fade and the rockets should stay consistent. moreso than in the past.

we should continue to tinker and develop players and find the right mix. i look for a big second half from houston!!

-nice post-

4. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

It's good that we have a team of contributors, who are getting involved, thanks to Tmac. If Tmac ups his scoring, I wouldn't want the other contributor's production to fall off. We are playing as a team like we are, and winning.
    When we sharpen our chemistry, and lower the turn-overs, we'll be hard to beat, especially when we get our rookies up to speed. :)

5. Man

Man Contributing Member

Yeah, I was just watching highlights from the Grizzlies game (thanks Rockets2K), and tmac's back doesn't look stiff like it did in the first couple of games. I think he's gotten back into the rhythm and flow of the game..just had to get rid of some rust. So things are getting more smooth.

I don't like thinking about how Tmac could possibly not be our #1 option, but..i guess it's sorta important..and i like that tmac can do so many things..

I also like Head and Alston. Boneheaded of me maybe, but at least damon stoudamire didn't light us up like he's been doing the past few seasons. Head's been knocking down those treys!

I think we do need Alston at the point..

Also, Hayes and Battier have been outstanding. Extremely important

6. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Prior to this season, I had a different view of what the Rockets needed from Yao and McGrady to be successful. I thought they would be a Shaq/Kobe type duo.... primary co-options in the half court. I thought both of them needed to carry maximum scoring loads for the Rockets to be successful in the playoffs.

In fact, I had that same view through the last couple games this year as well. I didn't believe anything McGrady was saying about being a "playmaker" and I thought that was post-rationalization for his slow start offensively. I figured we would hear "playmaker" for the last time, right before Tracy hung 55 points on someone for the first time this year.

Let's just say, the last two games have made me think this team could develop an entirely different personality than any team we've seen with Yao so far. It is one that I would have NEVER expected to see. It could change even more if Bonzi ever gets on board.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they progress.

7. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

Tmac has been getting better and better since the 1st game of this season. I believe for the next 5 game he will step to another level of averaging 22, 6, 8. Go, Tracy Magicgrady!

8. Astockmarketgod

I have always said Tmac is a great player....

but to become one of the greatest.... he need to make his Teammates better....

now we are finally seeing that....

Tmac the playmaker is even deadlier than Tmac the scorer...because you don't know what he is going to do....

in my mind being able to burn your defender... drawing two defenders 2 you and then dishing it off for a easy basket.... is the ultimate weapon one can have... anyone can put 25+ points in a night... just take 25 to 30 shots...

in any event for the na sayers....

Yao is averaging somthing like 17 shots a game...

Tmac is averaging somthing like 16 shots a game....

once Tmac gets his fg% up it will be a moot point and we will have both of them over 20 points a game...

9. AXG

AXG Member

I agree, and I think TMac is more efficient for this team when he scores in the low 20s and gets more assists and rebounds. He has been playing well and isn't settling for many jumpshots. Instead he's passing it to Yao or driving to the hoop. I see him progressing as a more complete team player as the season wears on.

10. Omer

Omer Member

As a full-swing hardcore T-Mac fan (clarification: not TOF, I love Yao too) I was disappointed earlier once T-Mac stated he wanted to conform to more of a playmaker role. However, after thinking about it and seeing what he's been doing lately, I feel that this may not be so bad after all.

A season average of 22/7/7 from T-Mac would be good enough for me, even though I wanted to see him drop at least 25 a night coming into this year. It's best for the Rockets as a team and will help us compile a good record this year as long as everyone stays healthy.

It may not be MVP caliber numbers to the media, but I strongly believe T-Mac is the MVP on this team. I don't mind Yao getting the MVP this season, but without T-Mac the Rockets generally just collapse. With him on court, everyone plays better. McGrady DOES make his teammates better. Head, Alston, Battier wouldn't be nailing those 3s if T-Mac wasn't on the court with them. He leaves them blatantly open and makes the perfect assist at the right time, making their lives easier and adding points to the team score. If the media cannot see that (which they most likely won't) thats fine. We know that we have one of the best players in the world, and one who has a good team oriented attitude. Such players are one in a billion, and one of ours.

We do know that if we make the playoffs T-Mac will explode again as usual and drop 30 a night as per his career playoff average of 29.8 PPG which is 3rd best all time in the playoffs second only to Jordan and Iverson respectively.

I just hope we have a great record this year because come playoff time McGrady should be back in full form and he has a lot of motivation because he has something to prove that he hasnt in his past 9 years in the league.

[​IMG]

I know we're gonna see some of this action come 2007 Playoffs so I'm patiently waiting, hoping T-Mac stays healthy. I think that's the mentality hardcore T-Mac fans like me should have. Be patient, T-Mac is a team player who is playing phenomenally even without trying to drop 30 a game. He already has 2 scoring titles. Just wait till the playoffs if you want to see T-Mac dunk on people and score like he can. The time will come.

11. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

I'd rather have Tracy McGrady shoot less and pass more to guys like Yao who's FG% is much higher than his own and currently Yao is pretty hard to stop as it is. I'd rather have him shoot less and drop dimes to guys like Hayes and Yao who will finish near the basket. I'd rather have him shoot less and find guys like Alston, Head, Battier, Novak, Padgett, etc. for open 3's. I'd rather have T-Mac score less now and pace himself for the playoffs. I'd rather have T-Mac help us win games by making his team better.

I'd rather have all of that than the old Tracy McGrady from Orlando (although damn he was fun to watch) carrying the load by himself and burning himself out every night and neglecting his team (because they sucked).

So I don't care if T-Mac dropping only 20 a game. As long as those W's rack up. His FG% is starting to come around so i'm sure he'll be scoring more anyways. He'll pick up his effiency as the season moves on. Half of his turnovers from his team missing great passes anyways...

Go Rockets.

12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

This team should continue to grow and we still could add a small part who knows?

We definetly, will be a strong playoff team.

13. MystikArkitect

I think its funny how its perfectly acceptable for Battier to win with his intangibles and not necessarily his stats, but not ok for Mcgrady to do so himself. McGrady can do it all, and now that he is pretty much the engine that runs this team (he is, not Yao) it is a pretty hard situation to defend against for any other teams. I like the way he is playing, I just hate how some people think it isn't ok for a superstar of his caliber to change the way he plays to get us more W's.

14. kjames44

kjames44 Member

Great insight and I totally agree with you regarding the team and our two stars particularly. Mac is picking and choosing to see what he can do...if he's lost a step, why is it that he's continuing to get past defenders (Bowen, Finley, D Howard, E. Jones, Wade, etc.) consistently? Too many posters here think he's lost a step so if he has I guess these defenders have also lost a step too. He has settled into a new role whereas he has more talent in addition to Yao. You see the way he takes advantage of Battier and Hayes around the rim? I mean he's threading passes through a key hole sometimes for layups. We're not just talking about assists on jump shots although he's doing that as well, but I'm talking about points in the paint and we're winning that department each night.

I'm also equally surprised at Yao's stamina as he's by far stronger than ever before and he's catching the ball so low that it's impossible to stop him regardless of the defender. This is something that I have been dying to see him do rather than 15 feet out and having to place the ball on the floor. He's catching and shooting more than ever that's why he's the most dominate big in the game today...bar none!

I can't help but smile when I think about April & May with our good health and a "smart" Bonzi mixed with Mac, Yao, Skip, Battier, Howard, Head, Deke, Snyder and Novak and/or Billy coming off the bench. This team can certainly win 60 games and should provided with protect our home court (advantage now) because we'll be .500+ on the road.

I think they will go 34-7 at home and 26-15 on the road (60-22 - .731%) prohibiting any major injuries to the two studs.

15. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

You sending Chuck back to the NBDL?? ;) Just had to tease... since he wasn't listed. :cool:

16. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Thanks Stevie Francis for your positive comments.

17. kjames44

kjames44 Member

My bad...Nooooo, Mr. Hustle is definitely a keeper!

18. JSub

JSub Member

Good post.

19. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Loving the positive feedback about Tmac's evolution. Tmac is definetly changing his way of play to where he's dishing out, doing the dirty work, and making everyone on the defense play smart on us. He's truly leading by example.

McGrady is shaping up this team to play off their strengths and realize their weaknesses. Not just sit around waiting for an open shot while tmac/yao work off their double team. (but they still do that anyways, and thats ok!)

example of this is how tmac just gives it to luther in the 4th last game, and he started getting hot. That kind of trust, ability to drive ur teammates is REALLY what a great player does.

Things are shaping up for the Rockets. And thank goodness tmac is hitting his FT's again. I do have some negatives to make about tmac but I'll leave that for a negative post in the GARM. ;)

20. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I am totally impressed with Tmac lately as I think he is playing at a much higher overall level.

As Tmac's FG% and FT% increase he will quickly break into the 20ppg area (he is already at 19.2 while shooting 41.2%) last few games he has been shooting around 47% while attacking the basket and setting up his teammates for easy shots. JVG is right on about Tmac he is making the right decisions and I am thankful.

Tmac seems to be making the transition from scorer --> leader. I think Tmac's game has evolved into making everyone around him better becoming the leader while still taking over games when needed.

J