1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016 NBA Draft/2-43] Zhou Qi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2016.

?

Do you like the selection of Zhou Qi?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2016.
  1. YES

67.8%
  2. NO

32.2%
  1. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

That's fair. I'm warming up to the idea after reading more. Dude needs to put in 20-30 lbs. minimum.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Yi definitely came in with more hype. But it is proven now that he was a bust and drafted way too high. He never should have been 6. Knowing that, no one is expecting Zhou to get drafted that high. He went right around where he was projected. People expect him to eventually be better than Yi. That doesn't mean he should be picked at 6 or higher, because Yi didn't even make it in the NBA. If people expect Zhou to be worse than Yi then he shouldn't even be drafted.

3. basketballholic

18 posts. 18.

And you're pulling this stunt?

You should be blocked for 3 months.

4. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

5. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I think that Wang Zhelin will have a better NBA career than Zhou Qi.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not only do I hope you are wrong, I am pretty sure you are wrong. Qi has a much more refined game, offensively and defensively. Qi is going to be a very good fit in MDA's scheme.

He's skinny, we get it. So were a ton of other guys who eventually carved out an NBA career. All it takes is eating and working out. That is no insurmountable obstacle. There is no reason for all negativity about a 43rd pick.

I'm rooting for him, G2 AND Onuaku. I'll root for anyone who puts on a Rockets jersey until they prove undeserving, not before.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Qi will be a surprise but I do not think MDA will be a huge reason for that. ;)

8. mig0s

mig0s Member

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'll admit, everyone at my house (myself included) broke out laughing when we heard Zhou Qi was the pick to the Rockets given the Les/China angle, but after some further reflection, the pick started to make sense from a basketball standpoint.

First off, Zhou Qi was rated by most draft "experts" as a late first to early/mid second rounder (he was rated #36 on DraftExpress's Top 100 List). Any team taking him in the middle part of the second round should not be faulted for doing so.

Second, if you had asked me before the draft how the Rockets should use their picks (assuming they couldn't trade up to get a player in a higher tier), I would've said that I hoped one of them was a stash pick. Well, this guy fits that bill.

Third, in arguing with a friend who hated the pick and wanted the Rockets to pick a PG (he doesn't know anything about any prospects yet always complains every year), I speculated that the Rockets might be gambling on several decent PGs falling out of the draft. I was hoping that guys like Kay Felder, Gary Payton II and Cat Barber could be had as undrafted free agents (I assumed Demetrius Jackson would be drafted eventually). While Felder got taken 54th, Payton went undrafted, and the Rockets pounced. They even got Isaiah Taylor, too, another PG who is at least training camp-caliber. Given this educated gamble that paid off, taking a high upside stash big seems like a pretty decent move. That's just good asset management.

Do I think Zhou Qi will ever amount to much in the NBA? Maybe, maybe not.

Do I think it was still a decent pick at 43, all things considered? Yeah.

I'm not doing cartwheels about the Rockets' draft haul or anything. But given where they were drafting (why they didn't have a first rounder is an entirely different discussion), they did fairly well for themselves.

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'd be surprised if this guy ever ended up playing a game in the NBA. But for the 43rd pick I don't have very high expectations. If a prospect comes with marketing money, I don't give a crap.

1 person likes this.
  11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

His name is Zhou.

People called Yao as Yao, because Yao is Yao.

12. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Like the pick. Carry the Yao torch my young padawan!

13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Well, if this pick was made in last year's draft, I am pretty sure more people will say "another brilliant stash pick by Morey".

Which in fact could be just another "business decision" by Les.

The value of this pick had it made in last year's draft will not have much difference than this year, but the point is, after a disastrous season and with the current outlook and uncertainties of this roster, the expectation with every single moves by Morey will be much higher, and because of this factor,

the reactions (disappointment) by many here should be understand.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I really like this pick -- most 2nd rounders never really pan out but this guy is so light on his feet for his 7' 2" frame -- reminds me of Dirk a bit.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I know it's only CBA but he moves really good. He even puts the ball on the floor. Puts Dwights postgame and skills to shame. American diet should bulk him up.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

It all depends on what your expectations are for the upcoming season. If you are expecting them to not only make progress but substantial progress from their current situation, then the Rockets desperately need help now at the PG, PF & C positions. On the other hand, if you are OK with them kicking the can down the road to next summer (and wasting one of Harden's final two years under contract) then it's OK to play wait and see with these picks.

17. alethios

alethios Member

Certainly, he could be forgiven much more quickly for making this pick last season, but they rated this player much higher than where he was picked, and even if they were in the same position as last year, they might have still made this pick.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

I blame SunRocketsfan for the guarantee.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure but I prefer the name to the surname.

Yao was the surname as is Zhou.

I think you care about trivial matters too much.

:grin:

20. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

There's some confusion , originally we hear it's a buy out after next season.... then we hear that if he gets picked in the first round he could come right away... now there's talk of him coming next year anyway. we'll see, probably still need negotiation and see what the Rockets want to do. the feeling I'm seeing seem to lean heavily towards him coming right away though.

From my own analysis of him, he really should come sooner, it's not just the body , which I actually think is wayyyyy over stated if you look at how teams play these days and also look at him playing against American players in the CBA (whom are either ex-NBA guys or dominant NCAA players. you know, better than the average guys the NCAA prospect played against.) he did just fine. those guys all tried to body him. there's a specific type of dudes that might kill him strait up but they are not really common these days.

The single biggest issue I see with him right now which I feel might make him not work out as a NBA player is his rebounding, he gets plenty in the CBA but watching the games he has some really bad habits there. it's a stats that usually translate but he's going to put that to the test unless he improve his skill there.

The Rockets do a good job developing players in RGV usually, even though their current roster and coaching group on the main team might be a bit suspect in terms of defensive developments.)

It was a series of 3 game, he only missed the middle game for that injury, it's just an ankle sprain.

They Chinese national teams have played a few warmup games against European national teams recently (I think it's Croatia / Turkey / Italy , they actually won the first two.) Zhou played in those

If Zhou put up those stats in Europe and is a European he would have also gone top 10 easily.