1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sergio Llull will NOT join the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 1, 2015.

1. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Big supporter of Morey here, I think it was a mistake. But one appropiate mistake. PGs are more common now than wings.

Even with Llull fiasco we still have Lawson and Bledsoe around, and that´s only what we know of. I would have make that Dekker bet too, that way you have insurance in case you have to lose Ariza and Brewer because of LMA.

2. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Still a puss.

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

You watch his highlights and it looks like he wants to look good first and foremost. He's got NBA skill and talent but doesn't have the confidence to want to try it out. Maybe he had a bad experience when visiting America? Whatever it is, he can't get out of his comfort zone and try something new.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm glad I don't have to watch Sergio Lloser flunk his NBA audition.

Guy never looked that good against the USNT the few times I saw him. Even Ricky Rube Goldberg managed that.

Obviously he doesn't think he can make it in the NBA, as evidenced by his lack of desire.

Give me a half drunk one legged Beverley before ll tool j.

5. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Dammit. LL Cool J would have been such a good nick for him. If his shot was off one night we could have called him LL No J. Legitimately angry now.

6. alethios

alethios Member

Not unhappy :p

Phooey on Llull

Dude couldn't handle the truth

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Oh trust me. You/llu are not alone.

The possibilities of puns with a palindrome alliterative name are f-ng endless and the Spanish just makes it so much better

Yo voy llorar...

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

I just realiased that 14M/3yr offer left just enough money for Morey to offer his usual 2nd round pick contracts.

9. liveguy

liveguy Member

To put it simply....dude is p***y.

He's afraid to play against the best of the best and likes his lil comfy life in the C league over seas.

All good..... Now we know.

Nothing to see here.

He's b****made. Eff him.

10. ibm

ibm Member

this is ridiculous. how could you know what you said was true unless you personally know the guy? and what's exactly wrong with "likes his lil comfy life in the C league over seas"? and i am not sure the spanish league is a "c league".

and "b****made"? that says a lot of yourself, doesnt it.

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

There is so much ignorance here. There were a lot of financial and lifestyle reasons for Llull to pass on coming over this year.

12. Madridista

Madridista New Member

Hi! I'm a spanish guy and, of course, a great Sergio Llull's supporter. In the last days I've been reading your opinions about the so-called Llull's fiasco and I'm really disappointed. I just really think that BMoney have nailed it.
    Here, in Spain, all of us were waiting the Llull's overseas adventure with great sorrow but with legitimate pride and understanding. Going to the best basketball competition in the world is a prize for a professional basketball player, even more for an european one than has learned to play in Europe far from your prestigious colleges and universities. It was the perfect moment. Llull has won the last campaing every title at stake with Real Madrid (we call it the poker, three domestic title and the Euroleague Championship) He was MVP twice this year and a really clutch player, winning titles in the last second. He didn't have any more to show here in Europe.
    I understand your point of view, really, Llull could have been a good addition to your roster playing as PG or SG with Harden or Prigioni. We are not sure because till this day neither Sergio nor Real Madrid have said an official statement about the real reasons of Sergio for declining the HOU offer.
    I think that one thing is for sure: Llull is not a coward. You've been insulting him in several posts but, please, think for a moment. In we talk strictly in financial terms, the Houston offer could have been lower than journalists said, maybe around $ 14 million for three years (€ 12.6 million) The Llull's buy out clause I think that was, accordind with news, around € 5 million ($ 5.5 million) But you have to bear in mind that in USA money offers are in gross terms (you have to discount taxes that you have to pay in your country) and now Real Madrid have offered him to sign a new contract of about € 2.5 million (net) ($ 2.7 million) for year.
    Finally, maybe money is not the most important thing in the world. He could have preferred stay with his family and being well paid nowadays in the most important basketball team in Europe and in the Spanish basketball League (not a C League, I presume, the best national basketball league after NBA) Don't you think we can win some matchs with a NBA team? Of course, not the best NBA teams but maybe some of them. In the last decades NBA has been drafting FIBA players for sure. Please, respect for everybody. Thanks.

13. LuisGenjuro

LuisGenjuro Member

Some thoughts on this:

You guys are not taking into account that Llull has to pay the buyout with net salary, as far as I know. So he's probably better off staying in Madrid financially for the length of Houston's contract offer. Of course, potentially there's so much more money to earn in the NBA long term.

Anyway, I do think it's disappointing. The situation could hardly be better for him trying the NBA: he comes off winning everything in Europe, and the Rockets are a playoff team with a glaring hole at the PG position. It looked like a logic development in his career at the exact timing (he's not getting any younger). And in terms of superstardom, you can hardly become a media star as a basketball player in Spain anymore if you don't play in the NBA. European leagues are increasingly marginal in media coverage.

Still, it's his life, his decision. We don't know about his personal situation, about his motives. To think he's afraid is just laughable. Was he afraid going to Real Madrid at the age of 19 when he wasn't even starting for his second divison team? Of course not.

You guys are not considering how different is the NBA life. And I don't mean going to another country in another continent, but the fact that you don't handle your own future anymore: his team can trade him without asking permission. That doesn't happen in Europe. At 28 years old, he might not feel like getting into that wheel.

It's funny how internalized you guys have all the NBA characteristics, which are pretty extraordinary if you think about them. Everybody is mad at Llull for not taking the contract offer, like if he should feel obligated to play for the Rockets. Why? He didn't put his name in the draft, he never granted a workout for a NBA team, it's highly likely he never promised anything to anybody. Just a bunch of billionaires drafted him alongside other guys, like playing cards with them, tying their future to a certain team and location if they ever want to play pro basketball in the USA. And now Llull is to blame?

Whichever is the reason for him not to sign for the Rockets, it's his choice.

2 people like this.
  14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Of course it is. And it's our choice to trade his ass, which I'm hoping we do.

15. LuisGenjuro

LuisGenjuro Member

Well, not really. It's the team's choice (the owner's choice) to trade his rights. His ass is in Madrid. Your choice is... to watch games?

16. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

[​IMG]

17. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Money choice guys. He has contract with Real Madrid if the Rockets made him an offer of 8 million to 10 million a year he would have chose to play for Houston.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Oh Snap. I guess his choice is to pretend he's playing against NBA caliber players and that he's the Spanish TMac.

19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

End thread/

20. LuisGenjuro

LuisGenjuro Member

Did he ever say anything like that? He's just a professional basketball player who has chosen where to make his living. And apparently it seems quite difficult to understand for some people around here.