1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs to sign DeAndre Jordan

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 3, 2015.

1. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

DJ doesn't move the needle. Just wanted to get to Texas. Rox, Spurs out the picture. Actually prob couldn't play in Pop's system anyway

2. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Aw well.. I at least still got the Rockets. Screw Dallas.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Yeah, but when Dirk leaves, they'll have:

Matthews
    Parsons
    Jordan (guy who can't create his own shot)

That's good to build around, but I don't think they're going to contend.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

They're not going to have a good bench. It's the Clippers situation all over again. Starting 5 looks fantastic; peel away the layers, and it's scary. Bad scary.

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

San Antonio...

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not bad. Love how the clippers got weaker.

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

One good thing about this signing is that maybe if Cuban whines enough about hack-a-Jordan then the NBA might change the rule.

8. ibm

ibm Member

uh, yao can only complain he was born a little too early. even ben wallace can say the same thing, lol.

seriously, many deals in this offseason are getting ridiculous. dj is good, but he's no way 20 mils per good, even in today's market. (it's also true to lillard's deal.)

9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

10. ibm

ibm Member

11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

They told DJ that'd he'd be the first/second/third option offensively in Dallas (~2:50)

"[paraphrased] He can average 20/20 and he did when Blake was out" (~7:25)

12. NotChandlerParsons

Without even looking, I'd guess Chamberlain. 20/10+ would be more realistic in that some players have managed it lately, but DeAndre doesn't seem likely to drop that any time soon.

13. slestack11

slestack11 Member

I wouldn't say the Clippers are no longer a contender. They still have 2 elite players in CP3 and Blake Griffin and they added some toughness they didn't have in Lance Stephenson and Paul Pierce. The offseason isn't over and if the Clippers can manage a sign and trade for Deandre, then maybe they can land a guy like Roy Hibbert or Nene, I still put them in the top echelon of the western conference.

If not, it may just be one of those addition by subtraction sorts of things. Deandre, while super athletic and talented on the defensive end, may have hurt the locker room vibe and causing tension with his whining about not getting the ball on offense enough. Griffin always went out of his way to throw up lobs to Deandre when it seemed he was better off just going in for an easy two. With Griffin not worried about helping his friend out, maybe he can concentrate on his game a little more too. On paper, the Clippers were the best team in the NBA but nobody really were ready to believe that they were the best when you play on the court. There was something that didn't seem right so Deandre leaving may be a long term solution and decision that luckily was made for them. With the way the Warriors won the title, I'm not sure it's wise to invest a max deal on a center anymore...especially one that is a liability in the 4th quarter because they can't shoot free throws. One things for sure, Blake Griffin is going to put up much bigger numbers especially on the glass with Deandre out of the picture. Taking out a potential locker room cancer in Deandre and adding a locker room leader like Paul Pierce may be what the Clippers need.

And I agree this whole experiment with Parsons and Deandre seems a bit chaotic. And I'm not sure how patient Carlisle will be when teams go to Hack and DJ. Rivers made a point to be overly patient to help Deandre with his confidence. My guess is Carlisle is going to pull him pretty quickly like Vinny Del Negro did.

14. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Bwahahaha whos gonna throw those easy lobs to DJ?
    Jose Juan Barea? eeeeeeee
    Rajon Rondo? eeeeeee

Its Raymond Fattons fuhahaha i burst out laughing when i think of that, liquid came out from my nose .

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Those aren't players to build around

the standards for max players have really went down the toilet.

those are 2 role players and a shot blocking guy with 0 offense other than catching lobs.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Max deals for guys who have never really been better than 3rd options. I ain't even mad.

17. Aleron

pretty much the 2 worst injuries for a basketballer.

18. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Nice pickup for the Mavs. But Dirk is getting older , Parsons health a concern, Wesley Matthews can score quick & lot.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, I'm not being a homer here. It's a great signing for them and puts them probably in the playoffs, assuming Carlisle doesn't have an aneurysm watching this team on offense.

But what they have now is *kind of* a poor man's version of the Rockets: an elite center and a really good 2-guard. Their 5 is much younger and probably a little better as of right now, but our 2 is the best in the league, way above theirs. Then we have some decent pieces around our guys with a real bench, and they have Portions + the ghost of Dirk. (Actually, if this turns Dirk into a kick-out spot-up shooter, that could really help his last gasp in the league.)

They could be 7 or 8 in the west this year if they all stay healthy.

20. Aleron

oh they'll make the playoffs barring injury, i expect all the southwest to be there again