1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jim Gray on Sportscenter now!! Confirms trade!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gatorfan76, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

HI guys!!

A few minutes ago on Sportscenter , Jim Grey just confirmed the Francis, Mobley,Cato trade for Mcgrady , and Howard.

He said the only snag maybe that the Charlotte Bobcats may pick Juwan Howard for the Expansion Draft, which would make the trade unequal.

2. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

3. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Forget Howard. Send us Gooden :)

4. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

either is better than LUE

5. Got Em

Got Em Member

No. He did NOT confirm anything. He said it will be likely that this deal will get done, but he did NOT confirm anything.

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

If that is ALL it is, I guarantee that the deal will get done. First, the Bobcats aren't taking an aging Howard with his contract. Second, if the Rockets want this to happen, no WAY they do this without a plan B.

7. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I would much rather have Gooden. I imagine that's what's holding up the trade. Houston wants Gooden rather than Howard.

But hey, it's almost time to get a T-Mac jersey!:)

8. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

He DID NOT confirm the deal was done! He said it was going to get done! BIG DIFFERENCE!

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Jeff you make a good point. No way the Rockets let this MEGA deal go down the trash on contigent that they cant match salaries because Howard isnt there. They would have to have contingency plans!

And like you said, why would the Bobcats take Howard? His contract is huge for a lot of years. TOTALLY goes against the drafting strategy of the Bobcats.

10. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

He said one of the problems could be if Charlotte takes howard in the expansion draft then it would cause a problem.

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Dude, why is this thread open? We got a gigantic thread already going about this.

12. Got Em

Got Em Member

No he said it's LIKELY for the deal to get done, if Howard wasn't picked by the Bobcats. He never said this deal was GOING to get done. Get it right.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Argh! Howard for 5 more seasons at $6 million per.
    I hope the Bobcats take him and we have to work it a little differently. (no chance!)

14. Got Em

Got Em Member

I think he signed a 5 year 28 million deal last summer. So He'll have 4 more years at 24 million left if I'm right.

15. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

?????

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

According to Patricia's site, he signed a 6 year, $36.9 million contract on 7/16/03. Ouch.

http://www.dfw.net/~patricia/contracts

17. Got Em

Got Em Member

Haha what do you not understand? Basically he did not confirm the trade, just confirmed that they might be working on a trade.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I honestly didn't know how I would feel. On one hand who wouldn't want T-Mac on the Rockets. On the other hand I always feel loyalty to players that have worked hard and contributed to the Rockets. I know that Tracy was unhappy about sharing the spotlight with Vince earlier in his career. Hopefully that won't be a problem with Yao Ming. T-mac might be better overall the Francis, but I doubt he'll play with more heart. McGrady though might be more capable of consistently carrying our team than Francis was. It's kind of bitter sweet. Then we add to that Cat leaving the team, and Cato. I really liked Cato's game 85% of the time this past year. Cat was the last Rocket left from the other playoff teams. I still have my loyalty to those guys, and will wish them well.

There are so many possible positives to come out of this. I hope that winning will be one of them. Howard doesn't excite me in the least, but I don't have a passionate hatred of him either.

I just hope our team is a better team next year. We need a pg badly, with Francis gone.

19. Got Em

Got Em Member

Yeah you're probably right. My bad.

20. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

That's what I said idiot!