1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boxing] Floyd Mayweather to fight Cotto

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by lue03, Feb 1, 2012.

1. lue03

lue03 Contributing Member

Floyd Mayweather has deal to fight Cotto

During his licensing hearing in front of the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Wednesday in Las Vegas, welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. told the panel under questioning that he had a deal in place to face junior middleweight titlist Miguel Cotto on May 5 at the MGM Grand.

Mayweather
    Mayweather was ordered to appear before the commission for a hearing so the commissioners could ask him questions about the criminal case he recently made a plea deal in.

The commissioners are expected to vote on his license application at the hearing.

Mayweather faces an 87-day jail sentence at the Clark County Detention Center in Las Vegas after a plea deal on domestic violence charges related to a September 2010 incident with his ex-girlfriend, who is also the mother of three of his children.

Mayweather was supposed to begin his sentence on Jan. 6, but the judge in the case, Justice of the Peace Judge Melissa Saragosa, deferred his report date to June 1 after his attorney, Richard Wright, successfully argued that he should be allowed to fight on May 5 in order to honor an existing deal with the MGM Grand and because a Mayweather fight would inject $100 million into the ailing Las Vegas economy.

Rafael's boxing blog
    Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

The deal between Mayweather (42-0, 26 KOs) and Cotto does not come as surprise. With a much-anticipated fight between Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao off the table at least until the fall, Mayweather-Cotto is widely considered the next biggest fight he could take. Junior middleweight titlist Saul "Canelo" Alvarez was also considered a leading candidate to face Mayweather.

Mayweather-Cotto also means that Pacquiao, who intends to fight June 9, will not be facing Cotto in a rematch. Pacquiao-Cotto II was one of the potential fights Pacquiao and his promoter, Bob Arum, had discussed. The leading candidate to face Pacquiao in June is junior welterweight titlist Timothy Bradley Jr.

Cotto (37-2, 30 KOs) had been promoted by Top Rank for his entire career but his contract recently expired. If the fight with Mayweather goes through it will be the first fight of his career without Top Rank's involvement.

link

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

3. what

what Member

I wonder how much Cotto is getting to fight this fight. I sure hope it isn't 40 million for floyd to 1 million for Cotto.

Frankly, for me personally, cotto is the guy that's drawing me into the fight. floyd is picking fighters that will ensue people will pay to see the fight.

And I'm not so sure if floyd can win this fight. Cotto was destroyed by pac, but people forget how superhuman pac was in that fight. I haven't seen Mayweather come close to how good pac was in that fight.

People also forget how fast cotto is to. I like the fight.

4. AbbasNasib

AbbasNasib Member

what?

5. Prince

Prince Member

what? we're talking about a Ferrari vs Tacoma ( not even a Tundra) here...

6. SunsRocketsfan

7. what

what Member

you guys got to get real. I don't know when cotto became a boxing scrub. you guys must think mayweather is GOD. Cotto has lost twice. Once was a controversial lost to Antonio Margarito.

He tko'd zab judah. you guys must think defense and speed is the end all and be all.

this is hilarious.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Floyd will destroy Cotto.

Will not pay for fight...

It's not that Cotto is bad, it is that Floyd is that good... I don't know why he is scared of Pac, because I think he would destroy him...

9. what

what Member

if floyd can destroy anybody that he faces (that's what yall are saying) then he must be the greatest of all time, if nobody has a chance against him.

but i want to see how floyd is going to deal with cotto's body punches. it's a fact that cotto will get floyd on the ropes, and cotto isn't going to be intimated by floyd's speed (judah and pac).

10. Mr. Space City

mayweather by UD

11. Relentless

Relentless Member

I've got Cotto in this one.

12. VanityHalfBlack

I don't think he's scared, he's just not confident in his ability to beat a guy like Pac... If there is one boxer in the world that has a slight chance it would be him.

13. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

Cotto is too slow...

14. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

"I’m fighting Miguel Cotto on May 5th because Miss Pac Man is ducking me."

-Money May

15. spydermex

spydermex Member

floyd isnt scared of pac, especially after the jmm-pac fight.

floyd by UD.

the real fight at 154 for floyd is sergio martinez.

16. what

what Member

sergio needs to fight somebody in his weight class. Dude's a middleweight. people on this board no nothing about boxing. THE REAL FIGHT is martinez vs pirog, but sergio wants no part of pirog, nobody wants to fight pirog.

17. Asian Sensation

Floyd calls out Manny when he knew all along he's the one that's ducking. I think Floyd will finally agree to fight Manny after his fight with Cotto and maybe another fighter but by that time Pacman will already be past his prime. He's already shown significant decline compared to 2-3 years ago when he looked unstoppable.

18. what

what Member

can we have one boxing thread that isn't about Mayweather-Pacquiao? they ain't fighting each other, get over it.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lack of confidence= FEAR...

20. what

what Member

i guess i'm gunna ignore this thread, cause it's gunna be another pac-mayweather, pac-mayweather, what are they doing who's scared of who, who's ducking who blah blah blah