1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

If morey can't pull off a deal what happens to those picks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

What is he going to do with all those picks? We already have too many players and not enough playing time. Is he going to trade them for future picks, take a bunch of foreign guys and stash them away?

Parsons/ Morris
    Scola/Mont/PP
    Camby/??
    Martin/Lee
    Lowry/Dragic

It seems like he has to trade those picks otherwise those guys aren't going to play.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If Morey can't make a deal then Stern gets to assign the picks to New Orleans.

#basketballreasons

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'm sure Morey will do something to alleviate the "too many players" thing.

It's not like, if we don't get Howard, we don't do anything else.

4. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

I have a feeling that if no to Howard, we go hard at Josh Smith, even though I would personally prefer to blow it up, with the exception of Parsons(high potential obviously), Camby(good leadership for young big men) and Donuts(unless he could net us something big).

5. BEARCLAW

BEARCLAW Member

I think he packages some of the picks (along with players) and moves up higher in the draft.

Looks like he is already trying to parlay those picks plus Lowry and Martin into two Top 10 picks.

Other lesser players may be involved on order to make it all work out.

Personally, I'm starting to believe that Morey's doing all this with the intent of getting those Top 10 picks & then KEEPING them instead of getting Howard.
    Could be a big smoke screen.

The whole Howard chase could very well be a way of getting pub in the national press and for getting the fan base excited. When it doesn't work out, they can blame a selfish Howard and then proclaim how things will be good anyways because they were able to get a couple of Top Ten picks to build around...

6. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

I think he could do a combo, where he uses some of the picks to land another top player like Smith but keeps at least 1 to draft and keep a high upside player.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

I think the fact that we traded for an additional 1st when an additional 1st was the last thing this team needed indicates that some sort of deal is already in place. It may not be Dwight Howard, but something.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is how I read it as well, and hope we are right.

DD

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Ya, I think your right - he has something lined up in principle already but assuming something goes horribly wrong and someone backs out of deal, I would think Houston could get rid of those deals for some future first rounders if they can't manage to climb higher in the draft to get a player they think is a game changer.

...if we see a mass trade to consolidate those picks for a better draft stop, it most likely means the Dwight one fell through.

10. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Do you think Josh Smith and Eric Gordon would be enough to entice Deron Williams?

11. jdjd

jdjd Member

^THIS^ I could also see something like that happening.

12. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

1)Perry Jones
    2)Lowry trade goes through Drummond
    3)Jared Sullinger
    4)Austin Rivers

Trade Scola, Sammy D gone, Trade K mart future first. Those picks have more potential then anybody on our roster.:eek:

13. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

It's possible, but if there's a deal in place, why wait? Honestly, I think it's that Adelman has an irrational affinity for one of 'his guys', and we were able to exploit that. The 18th pick in this draft is a more valuable asset than a 7th-8th man who's due for a significant raise at the end of the year.

Morey saw a chance to get something more valuable than what he had. Simple as that.

14. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Josh Smith even with Eric sg in a pg's body Gordon will only keep us mid to late playoff spot every year. I'm sick and tired of that crap. BLOW IT UP!

15. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

you don't know if the #18 pick who hasn't even been selected is more valuable than Buddinger.. the guy could be a bust or equal to buddinger..

secondly, we got that #18 pick in hopes of packaging it up with 14 and or 16 coupled with players to attain 2 top 8 picks.. that hasn't happened yet..

My fear is that no one bites on our offers and we are forced to trade out of first round for future top 15 protected first round picks or top 10 protected.. or we end up getting desperate(which can happen) and giving up WAY to much for those top 8 picks..

i'm prepared to be underwhelmed but hopeful morey will pull a rabbit out of his hat..

16. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I hope you are right, but the Rockets had the same issue after the Gasol trade fell through last season, and they never addressed it. It led to some negative results as well -- including, but not limited to:

-Morris not developing at all
    -Losing Lin
    -Regression for Buddinger, which, luckily did not hurt his trade value though
    -complete devaluation of terrence williams trade value

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

But he better have a backup plan(or two or three). Does he have players in mind that he thinks can help this team with those mid-first rounders? Does he have a plan to trade the picks for a player besides Dwight Howard? Does he know what he's going to do with Kyle Lowry if he's unable to use that contract in a trade to move up in the draft or acquire Howard? What about Goran Dragic?

I just don't want this to be another offseason where all the eggs were in one basket only to see that deal fall through and the Rockets left with nothing but a mediocre roster and a best case scenario of being the 7th or 8th seed.