1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Deal Dodgers pull out after Carlos can't agree to trade

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cardpire

cardpire Member

sounds like lowrie (plus lee probably) for zach lee and gould was probably inquired about by the dodgers.

i like that that's a baseline for any potential lowrie trades in the future.

2. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

lee didnt steal anything, his first 3 years were solid, he was a power bat and knew how be a great situational hitter.. hes just old now...

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

i know. i'm not even a lee hater. the guy can still hit a bit. was a waste of money for the franchise though, obviously.

would be nice to "do us a favor" on the way out and accept a trade to a good team for 3 short months though. pretty weak if he doesn't.

4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Seconded.

Both John Sickels and Baseball America are releasing their mid-season top 100 (top 120 in Sickels case) lists on Monday. I'd have liked to have seen their updated lists before any trades, but what the hell: GO LUHNOW!

5. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

If they wanted Lee and Lowrie, they'd better have been picking up all of Carlos' salary.

6. xcrunner51

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

9. xcrunner51

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The Astros have taken trade ideas to Lee in the past, but he's always said no. HOU's leverage is that they could play others.</p>&mdash; Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/218904354193813504" data-datetime="2012-06-30T03:10:39+00:00">June 30, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>New version of Carlos Lee story with @<a href="https://twitter.com/jonmorosi">jonmorosi</a>. <a href="http://t.co/PloFTKBY" title="http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Carlos-Lee-Los-Angeles-Dodgers-Houston-Astros-062912">msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Carl…</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%2523Dodgers">#Dodgers</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%2523Astros">#Astros</a></p>&mdash; Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/218915735093772288" data-datetime="2012-06-30T03:55:53+00:00">June 30, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

The name of Dodgers minor league right-hander Garrett Gould has surfaced in conversations between the clubs, one major-league source said. Gould was the organization’s No. 6 prospect entering the season, according to Baseball America. Gould, a Kansas native, is 1-6 with 5.13 ERA in 72 innings this year for the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes of the Class A California League.

11. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I really liked the Zach Lee and Garrett Gould for Lowrie deal. I like Zach Lee. Carlos Lee for Gould is not bad at all

12. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

11:07pm - Zachary Levine: Garrett Gould was scratched an hour before his scheduled start against (gasp) the JetHawks for unknown reasons.

Hmmmmmmm??!

13. xcrunner51

I'm the other way around. I really like the C-Los for Gould trade but am ambivalent about the proposed Lowrie deal.

Getting a B-/C+ prospect for Lee is a great deal. Especially if we don't cover any of the contract. Lee is only playing because of his giant sunk-cost contract; I think we'd be getting the same or better production out of Wallace.

On the flip side, Lowrie:
    -is a top 5 player at a premium position
    -has legitimate middle of the order power
    -has a dirt cheap salary
    -has two more year of team control

If we can get a B- prospect for Carlos Lee, we should be looking at minimum two B+ prospects for Lowrie. Lowrie is more valuable than Pence was because of his legitimate power and premium position and Pence brought back two B+ prospects, one C+ prospect in Santana and whatever the hell you call Josh Zeid.

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

please carlos...be willing to help the franchise that helped you

honestly, i don't get how a team can come to you multiple times over multiple years and say "we want to get rid of you"...and you can keep saying no. Don't you lose interest in the team that doesn't seem to want you? Don't you start to play poorly when you don't think your organization cares?

15. xcrunner51

Haha, I think he has $100m reasons not to care what they think. I gotta give the fat man and his agent credit: his no-trade clause is one of the most devious things I've seen written into sports contract law. He negotiated away his 10/5 rights for no-trade list that seemingly gives him even more leverage.

16. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Completely agree. I'm as frustrated as anyone else that the Astros threw a truckload of money at Carlos Lee, but I don't think we should take it out on Lee. What was he supposed to do? Turn it down becuase he knew he wasn't worth it?

He has been just about everything the Astros SHOULD have expected him to be. He's hit for a decent average, decent power and he's tough to strike out when compared to other hitters with his skill set. The only thing that he did before coming to Houston that he doesn't do now is steal 15 or so bases a year. He's always been a below average defensive player and a below-average baserunner.

17. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Lowrie is older, has a long history of injuries. Hate too see him go but it might be wise to sell now while his stock is at its peak, getting a top 50 MLB prospect and some nice players on top of that would be a good fetch.

Not like Lowrie fits in too the Astros plans of being a contender in 2-3 years we've got Correa, Villar, Mier and Fontana for that at SS.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im all for trading Lowrie...I like the guy a lot, but he is not going to be an integral part of the team when we are ready to compete in 3-4 years. At this point, Im all about getting as many top prospects as possible and hoping a decent portion of them pan out.

Zach Lee would be a great pickup, unless Luhnow thinks that he can get better prospects from other teams.

And Im totally fine with a Lee for Gould trade...mostly because I want to see Wallace back on the Astros.

19. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

20. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Sorry I just realized the Lee trade was already being discussed here after I made a separate thread for it. I assume Lowrie will be in trade talks to soon so it may make sense to have separate threads for both though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.