1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Engram (Rocket Guy): "Players don't want to play for Rockets bc of Management."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JimmyJackson, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyJackson

JimmyJackson Member

Just heard the podcast interview from the 1560thegame media section. Engram claims that many agents are turned off by the way the Rockets conduct business. Over the past few years, he claims agents for players like TMac, Landry, Scola, Lowry and even as recent as Brooks are so furious with the way Morey and Co. do business that they do not want their other players playing for them. Pretty Bold statement.

I personally miss CD because I know if we had CD, we would have had a much better talent base and a much better product. CD did not hesitate to bring stars in and stars wanted to play in Houston because of CD.

Morey has completely turned players away from Houston w/his business antics and as a result, we are stuck with a team full of glorified role players. smh

2. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Who's Bill Engram?

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

And since when does Bill Ingram have any credibility?

I don't doubt that all of those players/agents were frustrated (outside of Lowry and Scola, who got their deals very promptly) at the drawn out process, but ultimately they got market value.

1 person likes this.
  4. cuddie

cuddie Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I'm not surprised. I'm sure those money grubbing agents aren't fond of how Morey's style.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Not picking on you OP, but Bill Ingram is one of the most unreliable Rockets 'sources'. IIRC, he routinely makes up stuff or steals other info and claims his 'sources' told him.

I wish we could ban threads centering around something this guy has to say. He's a complete joke. And Carl Landry is reportedly interested in returning to Houston next season -- so Morey didn't exactly burn that bridge all the way down.

1 person likes this.
  7. ThaShark316_28

Keep buying into some hoopsworld clown that knows nothing....

Find me a big time free agent that wanted to be here in the last 20 years....pippen? Lmaooooo

8. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

so it wasn't t-mac's fault!

lol @ all the t-mac haters. they were wrong all along.

9. pge71188

pge71188 Member

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Tmacs agent works for alot of other players as well and he wasn't happy with the whole MacGate situation so I bet hes sabotaging his clients against Houston. :mad:

11. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Bottom line, CD took bigger risks and as far as I remember he drafted Hakeem, picked up Horry/Cassell, then traded for Drexler and we ended up winning two championships.

Morey has done well with draft picks (lower picks but better value), but he has yet to proven himself to either trade for franchise talent and/or draft a franchise player.

CD was in the business for awhile so its understandable that he got things worked out, we'll see if Morey is able to obtain players who'll push us into play off/championship contention in the next few years. And I doubt players would be against the Rockets, why would playing for market value be detrimental to the team's progress? It gives us a good measure of how much a player is worth.

12. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well... It's like this... Morey isn't going to hand out bad contracts like CD did in the past. CD hurt this franchise with the contracts they were giving out. Norris, Cato, Maloney, and etc. I'm pretty sure Les made that point across to Daryl Morey.

Scola and Lowry both got paid so I can't see them making a case. Morey lets the market dictate their value not the agents. Landry's agent was trying to make Landry Millions until the bobcats came in. Landry made great money compared to other 1st round draft picks so I don't want to hear Landry was done wrong. He signed a one year deal his rookie season only which allowed him to get more money. I'm not going to touch T-Mac.

Either way.... Rocket guy is stupid.

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Bill Ingram is my hero

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lol @ "Rocket Guy"

I bet players do miss those Gifts CD would call "contracts".

I'm with Morey on this. Earn your money and honor your contract.

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It makes sense though. Players want to be overpaid and the Rockets don't like to hand out bad contracts. Everyone likes to go to Dallas because they hand out Bad contracts. The other smart organizations, like the Spurs, have the luxury of luring free agents because of recent championship success. We are in a bad place; Morey and Co have to work extra hard just to get mid level talent.

16. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

CD. LOL. Turrble thread. Haha.

17. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I certainly wouldn't go that far, but I agree with Ingram somewhat. We should rename moneyball for what it is, mediocreball.

18. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I can't decide what is worse, this snippet or your memory. CD did none of those things, and wasn't GM until 1996.

19. ApuN

ApuN Member

The fact that you miss CD makes me wonder if your a real Rockets fan

Makes me really wonder....

CD getting better talent? You gotta be f*$&k'n kidding me

20. TheRedRanger

TheRedRanger Member

Steve Patterson drafted Hakeem and picked up Horry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.