1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thunder hire Billy Donovan as Head Coach

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Apr 29, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Going online now: ESPN sources say Thunder &amp; Billy Donovan nearing agreement to make him next OKC coach, with announcement likely THU or FRI</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/593601016953704448">April 30, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#1 J.R., Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Thunder need everyone healthy at playoffs and a coach that can at least somewhat control Westbrook. Control in a positive way. Not take away his awesomeness, just make it more of a winning awesomeness (see Pop with Parker, Phil with Kobe).

Is Donovan that? I have no clue. He won two titles but with a completely stacked team that came back.

I couldnt comment on his coaching. As a Rockets fan I'm not concerned about the Thunder any more than I was before. But he could be an amazing coach. I have no clue.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

not to say this is a mistake or not, but i'd never hire a coach from college as a Head Coach.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If I'm a Thunder fan, I'm pretty underwhelmed. Coaches going from college to NBA has some pretty low success rates.

5. Major

Major Member

Coaches in general have pretty low success rates. The vast majority get fired after about 4-5 years. There isn't really enough solid data to suggest much about success rates for college vs pro coaches, I don't think - most of it is just anecdotal data of remembering the failures like Calipari or Pitino.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Thunder probably hoping he can replicate Brad Stevens' success.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Maybe they hope this will help attract Joakim Noah in 2016?

8. MONON

MONON Member

I was just thinking the same thing.

9. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Let's hope for the worst so it displeaes KD "the servant"

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Yeah, I'm not sure why OKC didn't get someone more...accomplished. It's not like OKC is where coaches go to die. Durant / WB / Ibaka is absolutely amazing.

That said, college coaches can jump to the NBA, but I think they need to start with a young team a la Kidd's Bucks this year, or the 76ers, instead of immediately landing on a team with its star players already having Finals experience.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Donovan had some amazing recruiting years, and some of his former players from his title teams are now in the playoffs. I've never seen him as a savant type guru like Stevens though. He won when he had the best talent, and that's definitely an accomplishment, but I'm with the "underwhelmed" crowd.

Seems like a decent dude, so good luck to him except vs. Milkhair.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Brad Stevens has done well, but in general I agree.

How did Pitino work out?

13. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

He will have Durant and OKC. Anyone can coach the team.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Brad Steven's success came from his coaching skill. Even Pops said that he stole plays from him. His best player was Gordon Heyward

Donovan won because he had a loaded team that consisted of future NBA all-stars.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">According to the latest NBA coaching scuttle, Billy Donovan could be on Oklahoma City soil as soon as tomorrow (Thursday)</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/593615862961147904">April 30, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

He'll change his mind on Monday.

17. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Lol. Once he steps off the plane he will change his mind.

18. what

what Member

Weak attempt for okc to be "relevant" and on the cutting edge. Boston took the best hire from college: brad stevens.

the more i watch the moves okc are making the more i realize how much their are clueless to their general perception among fans of the nba.

they are about to go through a bunch of growing pains and they are about to see how the other half lives without durantula on their team.

19. Asian Sensation

Memphis seems okay even though they lost that guys who was "about to show the world he's on Durant's level."

20. rullrich

rullrich Member

Feels like OKC's been trying to ride the young player success ever since the Durant/Westbrook/Harden days. Trying to recreate that success by surrounding Durant/Westbrook with players that "could" be good (Kanter, Waiters, McGary, Lamb, Singler, etc.). This is just the next logical step that likely nets them the same result.

Just feels like they're trying to do to someone what the Rockets did to them with Harden.