1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deadspin: How Jason Whitlock poisoned "black Grantland"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>How Jason Whitlock is poisoning ESPN's &quot;black Grantland&quot;: <a href="http://t.co/FKpzP1ezIM">http://t.co/FKpzP1ezIM</a> <a href="http://t.co/slLkvWOl0J">pic.twitter.com/slLkvWOl0J</a></p>&mdash; Deadspin (@Deadspin) <a href="https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/592772253252739073">April 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

As good a hit piece as I've read recently, up there with Woj's best (or worst, depending on your perspective). Clearly, some folks who worked on that website don't like Jason Whitlock.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Read it this morning. I've never liked Whitlock though so it was preaching to the choir.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Worst thing to come out of it was he fired an assistant and was in violation of ESPN's conduct policy.

Outside of that the article paints him as arrogant, unqualified narcissist. I'm not sure how hard hitting that is.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Don't need confirmation that Whitlock is a turd.

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Is there more context? I have no idea who Whitlock is, or what "black Grantland" is.

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Who is Whitlock?

IS he the fat dude who shows up on ESPN sometimes in PTI in place of Wilbon or Cornheiiser

7. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Yes, that's him.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I just wasted 20 mins reading about some writers bloated ego and sense of self righteousness.

Whitlock is the guy who tells other black guys that he's "blacker" than them.

He's nothing special and the polar opposite of Bill Simmons. You have to dig through 1 ton of **** to find a gem in his writing.

He's thinks he's the Kanye West of black sport writers. the closest thing about he and Kanye is that he could probably eat him.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I disagree with most of your posts but agree 10000% on this. Whitlock knows nothing about good journalism. He's a writer that always searches for shock value and sprinkles in race to make him look credible

1 person likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

C
    O
    R
    N
    B
    A
    L
    L

11. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Didn't know you found a job posting on Clutchfans Rob Parker.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's just curious that ESPN decided to empower this guy of all people to run this new venture. Is his writing that good or popular? Has he ever demonstrated any kind of managerial skills?

It's great for ESPN to do something that focuses on the interest of African American readers (or readers of any other group), but it just seem that they can probably find a much better guy to be in charge of it.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The article suggests that Whitlock's conservative views align more closely with old white men (ie. the people who own ESPN) than they do most of the black readers that the site is supposed to be aimed at.

I guess it makes sense that if ESPN was going to start a black-centric outlet, they'd pick someone to run it whose views on race are more similar to their own.

14. jdh008

jdh008 Member

As I read the piece, I couldn't help but think that Whitlock is doing his best to align himself as a Simmons-type figure for his site. Simmons' fingerprints are all over what they do at Grantland and even in pieces or podcasts that he's not a part of, you can see the Simmons influence.

The problem is in the approach, obviously. You get the sense (or at least I do) that while Simmons probably steers the Grantland ship and is very hands-on, he really allows his people to be themselves and be creative.

Whitlock, on the other hand, has chosen to try to become that type of figure by establishing himself as some sort of charismatic leader who pushes his people to the edge.

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

For all of his miscues, Simmons has a good to great rapport with a lot of good writers and journalists. Malcolm Gladwell, Chuck Klosterman and Charles S Pierce are/were great writers/journalists that gave Simmons and/or Grantlad credibility. Then he brought in great writers like Bill Barnwell, Kirk Goldsberry, and gave new writers a chance.

Whitlock only like to hear Whitlock things written the Whitlock way.

16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

dude is a hack so boring when hes on PTI

17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Can't believe someone invested money in Whitlock being a leader of men and women.

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know a lot about Whitlock, but anyone that creates a business manifesto and inserts inspirational quotes in it to motivate people and makes half of those be quotes from himself (including quotes that he didn't really come up with) is someone that I immediately dislike.

19. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

He also plagiarized an email and used that as the basis of an article where he made up stuff about talking to a female friend when he clearly didn't speak to them. Something similar to how Brian Williams said he was in the helicopter in the middle east.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

That was nowhere near as bad as Brian Williams. That was only included in the article to show he is lazy.

He asked a female friend to email him her thoughts so he could put her thoughts in an article. He falsely characterized talking to her on the phone and paraphrasing her words when actually he was still just quoting her.