1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deadspin: How Jason Whitlock poisoned "black Grantland"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 28, 2015.

1. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My lord, this Whitlock guy has an ego...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/jason-whitlock-deadspin-the-undefeated-defended-lebetard-radio

2. Raven

Raven Member

WTF? That's hilarious spin.

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I guess I prescribe to the theory that you can have a completely incompetent, arrogant, narcissistic ass**** at the helm of your operation, but if you come out with substantial product at the end, does it matter? Look at companies like Amazon, Zynga, and countless others.....their CEOs are known to be awful to be around, but at the end of the day, they still figure out a way to have an impact because of what they produce. I guess I'll hold off on judgement of The Undefeated as a whole, because I want to see what they bring to the table. I've never liked Whitlock, and never will, but that doesn't mean the site will be an unmitigated disaster. They've got strong leadership outside of Whitlock.

4. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Fired from his own website before it even launched. Damn.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Replaced by Leon Carter aka Whitlock's greatest ally. Will this truly make a difference?

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The founder of Black Grantland goes the way of the founder of the Regular Grantland.

8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Except the founder of the Black Grantland is still employed by ESPN.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't know what was said behind closed doors, but demotions are sometimes just a nice way to fire people by giving them a chance to leave on their own terms (within a specified period of time).

Don't be surprised if Whitlock quietly departs ESPN in 6-12 months.

10. Raven

Raven Member

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I thought the Deadspin article was good and informative, even with Whitlock's known negative reputation. Its one thing to go with the "eye test", another to get direct first-hand accounts from actual people "on the field" (and yeah I'm using Whitlock-isms using sports analogies for everything)

Yes, true. What is most informative actually, is that ESPN even HAS professional STANDARDS, conduct and ethics codes, and dare we say it, a bit of INTEGRITY to begin with :eek: Thats in contrast to their image of allowing provocative baseless talk over substance

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Serious question: You honestly believe ethics and integrity were key reasons why ESPN demoted Whitlock?

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Never really heard of this guy or his website, but calling something "black Grantland" appears to be racist.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I think it is obvious the problem was he was unable to actually launch the site.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Unless ESPN is adding more lax and NESCAC crew coverage it seems a little redundant.

16. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Didn;t wanna start a new thread so I'll put it in here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6Ow-JG1-Tl0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

All people, of all backgrounds, of all colors, HATE Whitlock so that's all you need to know.