1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron Rocket Update: Aftermath, Scarred & Francis Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JeffB, Feb 2, 2004.

1. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Aftermath

His players rocked and even "offended" that he called their heart into question, Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said he never had gone through a week of negligent practices and games like the one that brought the Rockets three consecutive losses.

"Every coach goes through bad practices and bad games, but for me, never have I been through something like six days where you just go through it without concern for the result," Van Gundy said. "But maybe that's why we are where we are.

"We didn't prepare properly for the game in Miami. That cost us. We had a bad shootaround before the game against Sacramento. Off day, bad practice, bad game. We've thrown away six days, and, frankly, we're not good enough to do that. If they're going to look for an answer, the six who play the most are going to have to provide an answer."

Asked what he can change, Van Gundy said a lineup change, while an option, is not a solution. The Suns use Shawn Marion at power forward, but Amare Stoudemire could be back, affecting whether Van Gundy adjusts the Rockets' rotation.

Besides the matchup at power forward, he said: "When Jimmy (Jackson) goes out, we have no one who guards the three well. We're going to try to change the team attitude back. We haven't played hard. We've played a bit selfishly at both ends, missing the open man, missing helping (defensively against) unguarded guys. The attitude is always the first thing to go and the first thing that will bring you back.

"You try to generate some intensity. It's the top six guys. Our rotation doesn't have good chemistry right now because it has not played unselfishly on either end of the floor. They fail to set screens. Failed to reverse it quickly. There's a number of things. We just have to be more selfless. It all starts with our attitude, it always has, and it always will."

Scarred

A day later, Rockets players seemed scarred that coach Jeff Van Gundy questioned their heart. They had heard the charge behind closed doors but seemed additionally disappointed that he made it public.

"Of course it was offensive," Rockets forward Maurice Taylor said. "If anybody says you lost your heart, it means you gave up and quit, and I don't think we did. I don't think we played well. We could have had more fight. But to question someone's heart is to question their character. I find it offensive. But it definitely makes you look in the mirror.

"It was obvious he was trying to send a message. We're not playing hard enough. When someone questions your effort, that's not a basketball question, that's an individual problem. We have to play hard, get our spirit up and pick each other up more. Ever since the Miami game, we haven't been playing well. We have to get this under control. For us to have the goals we have, if we play the way we are now, we're not going to accomplish any of them."

Rockets guard Cuttino Mobley did not protest the criticism as much, but said the Rockets gave away three games, reminding him of past seasons.

"Everyone has their own opinion," he said. "You can't take things personally. You see better sitting on the side than when you're on the court. We gave one away to Miami. We gave one away to Sacramento. Then, after that, to give one to New Jersey, that's when you lose your heart. We shouldn't have let them back in the game. We should have beat every team we played the last three games by at least 15. That's just reverting to mediocrity of the last four years."

Francis update

Rockets guard Steve Francis' 10-of-16 shooting Saturday was his second-best this season and snapped a three-game shooting slide in which he made just eight of 37 shots.

Francis said his only adjustment from the perimeter was in attitude. But he said he did make a correction on his drives after watching tapes of recent games.

"I relaxed more than I did the previous games," he said. "I just let it go. Normally, I think pass too much and pass up too many shots when I should shoot. When I drove, I was trying to draw contact a lot of times (in previous games). That's one thing I knew I could improve on, as far as using one-foot takeoffs instead of two-foot takeoffs. I saw that on tape and made the adjustment."

Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said he thought Francis' shot selection and balance during his shooting slump were not problems. But he said he did want Francis to concentrate on converting drives, rather than drawing contact first.

"I think he's had trouble all year finishing at the rim, double clutching and things of that nature," Van Gundy said. "I'd rather have him get some shots blocked than to double clutch and miss."

-- JONATHAN FEIGEN

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2382703

2. RoxBigFan

RoxBigFan Contributing Member

What a coincidence that the team started to play selfishly right after Yao had couple good games and a monster game in Orlando. The players are being criticized for selfish play by the coach in public. I think the coach is right on his assessment of the team (losers). It is not rocket science to see what is happening on the court, as a lot of fans do here. There is no flow, no smooth pass, but a lot of dribbling, ugly playing.

Now the thing that worries me most is that the coach and the players(SF, CAT, Mo) start to disagree with each other in public. I could not imagine how bad it is behind closed door. Sooner or later, door is going to be evolving. Either the coach or certain players will GO if it is getting ugly in locker room. Like the coach said, changing rotation is an option, not a solution. My take is that player changing their attitudes OR trade is the solution.

One thing I do not really understand is why Mo would come out saying those unnecessary things. He seems doing pretty well with his scoring. This is not going to do him any good. Or maybe he thinks the coach is going to go, not SF/CAT.

3. Raven

Raven Member

The Rockets are in free fall.

I'm bumping the odds of a deadline trade up to 70%.

Raven

4. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

If Mo Taylor want's to know "offended." He'll understand that once he gets into the play-offs. The opponents will show no mercy. Then Mo Taylor can pull out the hanky for his tears....when his team is sent packing.

If JVG says the players are playing with no heart, then they are playing with no heart. He knows, the players don't.

JVG = Coach that has been through in trenches during the play-off battles.
    Team = Spoiled babies than think the world owes them; easily offended.

#4 DavidS, Feb 2, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2004
  5. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

These players are the biggest wusses I have ever heard of in sports. Mo Taylor is a disgrace.

6. DavidS

Yeah, it seems like Rudy laid out a bad precedence during his reign. Players with bad practice habits and "leaders" with lacking fundamentals. Then, to make matters worse, he babied them! It's no wonder why EG said there were "cliques." Seem like the "buddy-buddy groups" are more important than winning for a few players.

7. JeffB

Supporting Member

I can't blame Rudy T for players who cite being famous as their chief goal, hire their own publicists and routinely play selfish ball (including infamous 2nd half shooting free-for-alls). If anything I could only blame Rudy T for not getting rid of such selfish players.

8. RoxBigFan

RoxBigFan Contributing Member

Mine is higher at 85% now. Hope we are getting a good trade.

9. DavidS

True. But like you said, "I could only blame Rudy T for not getting rid of such selfish players..."

I think that JVG is trying to weed-out those players. That's what I meant.

Rudy allowed it. JVG does not.

10. JeffB

Supporting Member

I agree with that. JVG has made a number of references to this team being the same today as it has been the last few years, despite having a new coach. I think he wants to drop the loyalty thing and send some guys packing.

11. DavidS

Exactly! The "loyalty thing."

I think loyalty is a good thing. But when it DIVIDES a team, then that team can never be a united team.

That's what EG was talking about when he said "cliques."

It's been proven in past championship teams. The players don't have to like each other, they just have to be on the same page. ALL OF THEM! Team first, regardless of who has the most talent.

12. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Dont know if its been posted yet, but in the LA times power rankings today the description under the Rockets went something like this (paraphrasing):
    Oops, before Miami loss Francis, Mobley and assistant coach Ewing seen out at 3 am.

:eek: :eek: :eek: WHAT IN THE HELL!?!?!
    wow ewing what a great teacher and influence

13. Charvo

Charvo Member

Look at who got quoted. It was Steve, Mobley, and Mo. JJ and Yao probably gave their input too, but they might have said something that basically agreed with the coach. Of all the guys on the team, I think JJ may be the guy who is the most frustrated because he's had a taste of winning basketball with the Kings. He knows how tough the Kings have practiced to get to where they are basically like a machine on the court. One part fails, another part takes up the slack. JJ hasn't been on the team long enough to be throwing his weight around though. There are weed-out courses in college. This is the weed-out year for the players. Expect a 50% dropout rate.

14. Charvo

Charvo Member

You're right. This is a weed-out year. I think Van Gundy admires Bill Parcells a lot. Look at how he uses similar verbal tactics with the media when talking about his players. The 1st year with Bill Parcells as coach of a football team is always a weed-out year. He assesses who he is able to play for him in the future. He cuts the rest.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm trying to remember the last time I saw an article about the Rockets quoting their coach that was quite as damning as this one. Van Gundy let them have it. The jury is out about how they (the players) respond on the court, but it's pretty clear that something will be done by the deadline if they don't react the way Van Gundy wants. The odds are really increasing towards a move. There has been plenty of speculation, of course, but this makes that speculation more legitimate, in my opinion.

He questions their attitude and intensity, not their talent. If the guys don't react to the fire coming from this guy, they may discover a conflagration along with that ticket out of town.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Mo Taylor should just shut the hell up.

17. Raven

Raven Member

There is no way in hell that YM, SF, CM, MT, and KC are still together by the start of next years training camp.

I predict that Cato will be the first to go.

Raven

18. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

We have reached a point of simmering rebellion, but:

JVG > Inmates

As Jack once said "the truth, you can't deal with the truth."
    Me thinks we might get some new inmates soon, sending a few of ours to other facilities :rolleyes:

D R

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I find it refreshing that JVG has the stones to say publicly what EVERYONE here is thinking privately. I, for one, have been questioning the attitude and intensity of this cast of characters for 2 years now. It's not talent that they lack but the will and determination to do what it takes to improve the level of their play on the court - to take the proverbial next step toward being champions. JVG has been preaching this from day one to deaf ears.

I mean look at what has just transpired here: the Rockets pissed away 2 high profile games during Super Bowl week - games that should have been statements to the NBA and the rest of the sporting world that the Rockets were ready for "prime time". Instead they go out and get punked. It's been four straight years of this crap and if players such as "crybaby" MoT don't extract their heads from their behinds, it will become five years. They have talked a good game for 4 years now. The time has come for these jokers to put up or shut up or in MoT's case, leave town.

20. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

While I definitely appreciate Van Gundy's approach, I believe he is too analytical and calculating to make a deal before the trade deadline. JVG probably knew from watching old tapes that Moochie wasn't going to cut it but he still laid out what he wanted from Moochie (early camp, weight reduction, style of play, etc.) and let Norris sink or swim on his own merit.

Realistically, we've seen the "heart" before (TWolves and Pacers). Van Gundy doesn't strike me as one with a knee-jerk reaction to the game. IMO, even the staunchest Van Gundy haters on this board don't feel Van Gundy has a "hair trigger" when it comes to trades. But this summer...all bets are off! ;)