1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Mr Robot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by A_3PO, May 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Good mix of tech, drugs, and mental illness. The show has a cyberpunk anime feel to it, like Ghost in the Machine. Really enjoying it so far.

2. VanityHalfBlack

I like it too. I like the story, the issues, and the music.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

keep your politics in the D&D

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Exactly what I'm saying, thank you. Yours too.

And the advanced pro tip worth sharing here: don't watch shows that annoy you. Nobody's forcing you. Cheers.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

What politics did i bring up?

6. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Good job, CF. Checked it out on account of this thread, and I probably only watch 2 hours of TV a week (outside sports & news). I'm really into cyberpunk-ish books and movies so this is perfect for me.

7. B-Bob

Very cool. I'm the same way in terms of very little TV watching. (Maybe that makes me an easy mark in some ways). And like you, I only checked it out based on this thread.

I have two main worries about the show moving forward.

1. Couldn't it paint itself into a corner pretty quickly, plot wise? Not sure how long it can hang onto the mystery of whether or not Mr. Robot is real. I just don't want the show to end up Lindelof'ed. Hopefully there's enough space in which the show can operate, whether its the hacking, his addiction, his psychology, fsociety, E Corp, or his actual job site. Lots of room to wander in there.

2. Slater. I'm surprised, because he's always been fine to me, but he kind of doesn't hold the screen all that well with the weird and perfectly cast main character. Slater just seems slightly out of place to me in the show, but we'll see how it plays out.

8. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Enjoying it so far, already its hooked me and made me lose interest a few times. Probably because his whole "i cant pay attention issue face" gets old fast!

9. B-Bob

Yeah, this last episode might have been the last for me.

I get that "main corporate guy" was lizard-like and kinda evil, but now he's downright sadistic and maybe psychotic like American Psycho? Meh. That scene with the homeless man was just too much. (And this after it turns out Mr. Robot is criminally violent to the main character, if Mr. Robot even exists.) Seems like it moved way towards more violence and sex and almost no actual tech or hacking.

And the voiceovers from the main character are grating on me now, probably like they were for some other people here earlier. Oh well.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I agree the last episode was meh, but I will stick with it. First seasons are rarely mistake free.

11. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

I'm about to watch the first Episode.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Eh, the last few posts have almost convinced me to stop watching. I'm 3 episodes in and already pretty bored. Started very promising, but it's losing me with the cliched, evil corporation shtick. Evil Corp? Really??

Seems like it's trying too hard to be mysterious.

13. B-Bob

Yeah, I loved the pilot, but it's reminding me why I don't watch much TV.

To me, the interesting: narrator's mental state, narrator's talent, narrator's vigilante work

maybe interesting: Mr. Robot group, fsociety

not interesting: evil executive, drug habit, all secondary characters so far (aside maybe from his kind-of-hilarious gay boss), anti-corporate shtick, raving about the evil of money, sadism in general.

The pilot had a lot of the stuff I liked, now that I look back on it.

Sorry, don't mean to be a downer. I'll just step out of the thread now. I might give it one more chance, but Mrs. B-Bob is totally done. She turned to me after episode 3 and said "Cool Robot, Bro." :grin:

14. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Interest level has also dropped from me. Too much sadism, violence and depravity, not enough intrigue. One more nonsense scene from evil executive and I'm done with this show. Right now the only thing keeping me interested is the tech realism, but that will get stale pretty quick.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

There have definitely been a few disappointments after such a strong pilot.

The psycho turn of Tyrell was just way too over the top. In the span of one episode he slaps himself in the mirror, beats up a homeless guy, seduces a male receptionist just to hack his phone, and then goes Christian Grey on his pregnant wife. So much for subtlety. Obviously there was some sinister stuff lying beneath the surface there, but did they really have to go full on Patrick Bateman in the span of 1 episode?

It seems painfully obvious that the whole fsociety troop is all in his head in this episode. Very Tyler Durden. Throw yourself off a railing because you're still mad at your dad. The bar scene in which Elliot orders an appletini and the bartender seems surprised even though Mr. Robot is supposedly sitting next to him drinking the same drink. Either they are trying really hard to make it seem like it is all in his head, or it all is, but there are probably some minor tweaks between reality and Elliot's psychosis.

I'm still watching because I find it intriguring (despite the clunkiness of Christian Slater) and unlike anything I've really seen on TV before, but at this point its dangerously close to becoming a David Fincher / Bret Easton Ellis mashup piece.

#75 moestavern19, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It seems like a battle between two Hackers with severe mental issues
    Perhaps two psychopaths
    Elliot Alderson Versus Tyrell Wellick
    They each seem to deal with the same affliction but in different ways

Both seem to be top level hackers of a sort
    One is social Engineering himself through Evil Corp to control it
    The other is attacking from the outside to take it down

Did I miss something but who is black mailing his friend's boyfriend .. .

Rocket River
    maybe over thinking this thing . . .

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe they'll end up being the same person.

18. B-Bob

I think someone from the dark army, if that makes any sense. (I don't even know what that means really.)

I like your synopsis of the show though.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

We couldn't even make it through episode 4. I'm done now I think.

That hacker girl is so annoying I cannot stand her being on the screen.

"Hey! Take some x right here in the park"

"Ok sure why not!"

Just terrible. What a shame. Pilot set up such a good premise but it quickly turned into a jumbled crock of ****e.

20. B-Bob

Thanks moes. I was wondering if I should stream episode 4 sometime but I'll definitely skip it.

The casting of that hacker girl is just unbelievable. A nation full of amazing actresses looking for a break, and ... her? Maybe somebody's relative or something.

Overall, it's just too bad they couldn't deliver.