1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case Keenum - Gruden's QB Camp

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Victorious, May 2, 2012.

1. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Yates is not a very good quarterback. Will Case be better? I dunno but it can't hurt to try.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Strange new stereotype. He should have asked him how many horses and guns he owns.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Ah, it's so nice to be optimistic of a rookie who has never played an actual NFL game. Unfortunately, history has shown that most of these rookies fail once they're actually forced to perform.

Just the fact that Yates has played actual NFL games and not be downright horrible should put him above Keenum by a lot. The most likely scenario for any rookie QB is to get slaughtered when put into a game. Until Keenum can show that's not him, he's way, way, way below Yates for me.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

I've lived the majority of my life in Houston and boy I couldn't stand the desert and horses.

Plus everyone was dueling in the middle of the streets every single day.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Ya, I have the weirdest tan line from my cowboy hat.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Like Case but I will retire from clutchfans if he... Well, you get the point.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think he'll end up with a career arc much like Kubiak's.

Career backup. Transitions to QB coach and OC eventually.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Got exposed? Dude, he's a rookie quarterback playing against arguably the best defense in the NFL, on the road. OF COURSE HE'S NOT GOING TO DO WELL. The next week, Tom f'n Brady - at home - had a QB rating of 57.5 against those same Ravens.

People are high on Yates because QB is a position that notoriously takes 2 to 3 years to learn at the NFL level, and he came in and played at an average level as a rookie (QB rating over 80). That's incredibly encouraging. He has very good arm strength and mobility, along with poise in the pocket and leadership quality.

Does TJ need to improve from his performance in Baltimore to become a good NFL quarterback? Of course. But there's every reason to think he will. You'd have to be a complete idiot to expect a rookie NOT to be baited by the likes of Ed Reed in that spot. He'll learn from it, hopefully be groomed on the sidelines for another year or so, and then he might be ready to be a starter in this league. Obviously I can't say with 100% certainty that he will, but to look at Yates' time on the field last season as anything but encouraging for his future is just bizarre.

1 person likes this.
  9. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

not real sure what everyone was looking at last year. yates did fine considering the circumstances. the jury is still out, i don't think we know his ceiling yet.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I agree. QB's NEVER get better between years 1 and 2 and with a full training camp under their belts as the solid #2 man.

Obviously Yates has peaked as a player and is as good as he will ever be.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yates is a better QB right now than Mark Sanchez.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm a better QB right now than Mark Sanchez.

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

So.... Tebow<Sanchize<Donny=Yates. Now where does Keenum fit in...

14. thething

thething Contributing Member

That's not setting the bar real high...

15. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

thank you...

most of the comments regarding yates before yours are the exact reason i stay away from talking about football on a basketball site..

yates did exceptionally well all things considered. no OTAs, didnt suit up until week 11, and was thrown into the fire unsuspecting. the initial plans for yates were for him to be taking snaps with the scout team all year. all he did was win his first 2 starts clinching the playoffs in the process, including a vet-like 2 minute drive..

i'll say it again for the hard headed UofH homers.. Case Keenum will not make the final 53. if he sticks with this team it will be as a PS player. no way kubiak puts the fate of this team in a UDFAs hands in the case that Schaub and Yates cant go..

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It isn't homerism to think Case will make the final 53.

Who do you think will be QB3 instead?

17. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

The Texans don't carry a QB3 on the 53 man roster. They go to practice squad

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Not true, TJ Yates was on the final 53 man roster last year.

When Schaub and Leinart went on IR, we brought in Delhomme and Garcia, whom were also on the 53 man roster.

We carried 3 QBs the entire year.

What you may be thinking of is the "active" roster on gameday, which is limited to 45, of which, QB3 does not count against.

19. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Right on. So he won't suit up on game day.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Something like that.

Either way, unless Delhomme comes out of retirement again, I can't see Case not making it with the team given that Kubiak hand picked him and what very little free agent scraps are left out there.

If Schaub and Yates go down, we're f***ed anyway. Case would just get his turn to try and pull off a Yates and keep the car from flying off the rails.