1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now we know why Barkley is mad at the rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by phantoman, Jun 28, 2016.

1. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/new...ispute-bill-simmons/dwr87mhopjil116mnb73a04yq

In a bonus segment on Bill Simmons' new show, "Any Given Wednesday," Charles Barkley admits he got fat during his last season with the Rockets after they gave him less money than they promised.

Barkley says in the segment, which is available on HBO GO and didn't air on the episode, that he was in shape for every season of his career except for his final year in Houston. Why? Because they promised him more money than he was going to get.

MORE: 23 best available NBA free agents this summer

"The only year that I was fat was my last year in Houston, because they had promised me $12 million," Barkley told Simmons. "When I showed up, the contract was only for $8 million. And I said, 'What happened to my other $4 million?' They said, 'Well, we just decided to keep it.'"

The retired player says he took a paycut the season before so the Rockets could bring in Scottie Pippen, and Barkley did that only because Houston promised him the $12 million contract. The agreement couldn't be on the record because the Timberwolves had gotten in trouble for doing something similar with Joe Smith. Minnesota was fined $3.5 million and stripped of five first-round picks (although two were later returned).

When Barkley was left without his extra $4 million, he was not happy and "started eating" because of it.

MORE: Barkley disses LeBron with all-time great list

"I was so pissed. What had happened was I took a paycut so we could sign Scottie Pippen," Barkley said. "So they said, 'We need you to take a paycut so we can sign Scottie.' I said, 'OK, I would love to play with Scottie.' They said, 'We'll give you $12 million next year.' So when I showed up the next year, they bring me a contract. I said, 'This looks like an 8.' They said, 'Yeah, we're going to give you $8 million.' I said, 'What about the other $4 million?' They're like, 'Well, we just changed our mind.' So I wasn't motivated."

AdTech Ad

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We've known this for a long time.

3. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

The speculation on what he was owed and an under the table deal. It always kept changing. Something on the record now

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Did Simmons ask "So, why did you sign the contract for 4 million less?"

raining threes likes this.
  5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Yeah, but we didn't know that Barkley LOVED to PLAY with Scottie!
    If you know what I mean....;)

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

is there a statute of limitations for this kind of thing? God I hope so.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I realized Barkley mentioned this on Simmons' show but didn't bother looking into it because we've heard it all before. But I've actually never heard it worded like that before. If true, geez.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

They did me wrong... now watch me punish myself.

D-rock and Chuck_Ferrari like this.
  9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

that was the same organization that thought battier was the only contending piece they needed. over playing tmac and yao while not getting them any help. makes sense they'd do barkley dirty.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Not while he's on TV.

And there will be people who believe that CD/Les said, verbatim, "Well, we decided to keep [the $4,000,000]."

Nothing like this foolishness to keep pissing on the Rockets brand.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Trying to remember if this was on Morey's Watch

I don't think so . .. . will google

Rocket River

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Could Barkley have gotten a 12mil on another team had he decided to leave?

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Morey didn't show up until way later.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

$5m, then $3m, now $4m

15. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

This doesn't surprise me at all with Les...

Didn't surprise me then and doesn't surprise me now...

T_Man

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Not sure if serious.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not trying to call you out or anything - God knows I forget tons of stuff as I've gotten older - but is the growing hatred for Morey around here so strong that you are seriously wondering if he as part of the Rockets organization while Charles Barkley was still here??

It's not even remotely the same era.

Moreover, I don't believe a word of what Charles says. What... All of a sudden Charles Barkley is a model of an upstanding citizen? A good role model (you can google Charles and role model).

This isn't to say I disbelieve something happened. Clearly it did. But I have no doubt it didn't go down the way Charles said it did.

He's just a fat ex basketball player who talks a lot and has been proven over and over to say incredibly stupid things ...

18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Good. While you are doing that, I'll Google to see if there's a reason I should give a care...

19. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

It's Barkley, he also said that a 120 pound Angolan elbowed him twice.

D-rock likes this.
  20. joeson332

joeson332 Member

So why does he hate THIS team except that we are trash? Even last year when he made those ridicolous statements