1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Neil Gaiman's American Gods (Starz)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

‘American Gods’ Neil Gaiman Drama Adaptation Gets Starz Series Order

American Gods‘ long journey to the screen has been successfully completed. Starz has given a straight-to-series order to a drama adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s Hugo and Nebula Award-winning contemporary fantasy novel from North America. The series was developed and written by Hannibal and Pushing Daisies creator Bryan Fuller and Kings creator Michael Green who will executive produce and showrun. Gaiman also will executive produce the series, which is launching a casting search for the lead role of Shadow Moon.

In the 2001 novel, which has been translated into over 30 languages, a war is brewing between old and new gods: the traditional gods of biblical and mythological roots from around the world steadily losing believers to an upstart pantheon of gods reflecting society’s modern love of money, technology, media, celebrity and drugs. The book centers on Shadow Moon, an ex-con who becomes bodyguard and traveling partner to Mr. Wednesday, a conman but in reality one of the older gods, on a cross-country mission to gather his forces in preparation to battle the new deities.

“With our partners at Fremantle Media and with Bryan, Michael and Neil guiding the project, we hope to create a series that honors the book and does right by the fans, who have been casting it in their minds for years,” Starz CEO Chris Albrecht said. “The search for Shadow begins today!”

Starz has successfully brought to the screen another very popular book property, Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander, after an extensive casting process followed closely by the novels’ fans.

“I am thrilled, ‎scared, delighted, nervous and a ball of glorious anticipation,” Gaiman said. “The team that is going to bring the world of American Gods to the screen has been assembled like the master criminals in a caper movie: I’m relieved and confident that my baby is in good hands. Now we finally move to the exciting business that fans have been doing for the last dozen years: casting our Shadow, our Wednesday, our Laura…”

American Gods was originally set up at HBO in 2011 through Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman’s Playtone. The project didn’t go forward, and two years later, when Playtone’s Stefanie Berk left to join FMNA as SVP scripted, she brought the book with her.

Ever since, “American Gods has been the passion project for us,” said Craig Cegielski, Co-CEO, FremantleMedia North America, who has overseen the company’s scripted operations. He and Berk also will executive produce the series.

Last summer, American Gods was set up at Starz. As the pay cable network normally does, the project was put in development with an eye towards a straight-to-series order. Fuller recently was quoted as saying that two scripts have been completed along with illustrations demonstrating his and Green’s vision for the show.

“Almost 15 years ago, Neil Gaiman filled a toy box with gods and magic and we are thrilled to finally crack it open and play,” Fuller and Green said. “We’re grateful to have Starz above us and FremantleMedia at our backs as we appease the gods, American or otherwise.”

Starz will retain all network pay TV and SVOD rights to the project. FremantleMedia will distribute the series worldwide.

Fuller, repped by WME and Ken Ziffren, has no deal to run his NBC series Hannibal beyond the current third season. While a fourth season renewal is considered highly unlikely, I hear something could be worked out in terms of a future Fuller involvement. Green, repped by WME, Patti Felker and Erwin Stoff, has been busy in features with his scripts for Murder On The Orient Express at Fox and sequels to Ridley Scott’s Blade Runner and Prometheus.

NOTE: There was a thread on this in 2011, but it was titled for HBO, so I figured it would be confusing to bump it.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I read this, but I don't remember much about it.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Ancient mythical Gods are alive in the U.S., eking out an existence because most people have stopped believing in them. The protagonist is really different than most fictional protagonists.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yea, I just remember bits and pieces.

I think the main character dies or something and then exists as like a shadow or something. People he meets and talk too instantly forget him or don't recognize him.

Mostly a blur.

I do remember thinking it was interesting though.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm all in.
    Someone said that the Audio Book is on youtube
    I will have to check it

Rocket River

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y8h9-hYacP0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The Malazan series of fantasy novels borrows some of the concepts that Gaiman has in this classic series. "Gods" rise and fall based on believers. I liked the book, and will probably enjoy the series.

Apparently Good Omens from Gaiman is also going to get a mini series...which I'm more excited about as that is one of my favorite books of all time.

If you are a fan of Gaiman's books, you may enjoy the movie adaption of Mirrormask. It was an independent film from about 10 years ago and had some absolutely stunning visuals. Not the best movie (7ish out of 10), but worth it if you liked the book.

#7 Supermac34, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    RocketWalta likes this.
  8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Just finished reading it. Translation into a movie was not my first thought. There is too much on the pages that will not translate.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Interesting, I read the book as well and enjoyed it, but I only vaguely remember the plot and characters.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I'd watch Ian McShane read the phone book, so I'm in

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I predict poor ratings. This is just the kind of book that does not translate well to film.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think it'll be great as a series. It's not like they're trying to condense this down into one two-hour movie. In fact, the first season doesn't even cover the entire book.

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Man , never read the book . I was thoroughly entertained by the first episode

DreamShook likes this.
  14. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

You should, it's a fun read. Gaiman excels at threading mythology w/ a more accessible setting - currently pluggin' through Anansi Boys.

I'm thrilled that the show started with some backstory mythology. I'm curious to see where that aspect goes because it was easy to get lost in some of that in the book. And yes, Ian Mcshane's casting was indeed spot on as I suspected.

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

it's kind of weird, but I liked it. I'm in for the season.

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

not sold on that lead actor. seems a little stiff.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

model turned actor...

19. Buck Turgidson

I like it. I love Ian McShane.

"Don't think because I didn't lose my temper, I'm not angry, or lacking a plan."

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So far it is ok . . .. I am wondering how many seasons they going to stretch this out for though

Rocket River