1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Switching to Field Turf

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ivenovember, Feb 6, 2015.

1. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Might be out there, but sounds like the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> will be switching to field turf for tw upcoming season.</p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/563741672203243522">February 6, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquoteclass="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sounds like it all but a done deal, but the field turf looks more than likely for NRG. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; PDS (@PatDStat) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/563741981415710720">February 6, 2015</a></blockquote> <script asyncsrc="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Solves the field problem, but not sure if it's the best solution.

2. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

I'd like to see the complaints when a player fractures their neck on it.

Didnt Michael Irving break his neck on a field turf? Or was it astroturf? Is there a difference between field and astro turf?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Best news of the off-season so far.

4. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

Good job Mcnair

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

So many teams at all level play on turf. It'll be fine.

6. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

I like the move to Field Turf...the natural grass had too many reported injuries to both Texans players and their respective opponents.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Field turf is the stuff that's made out of recycled tires, correct? It's much softer than astroturf from what I understand.

I don't think anyone still uses astroturf anymore.

If this is true, this is a great move. If nothing else, just for the visual aspect. Our grass always looks like crap on TV.

8. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Astroturf was a much harder playing surface than field turf. Field turf is a much softer playing surface. That's why those Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk Rams teams were called "The Greatest Show on Turf".

9. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

THIS...I remember their season finale against JAX and then the very next night, they used the same field for the Texas bowl when ARK played TEX. It was a mess, to say the least.

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

what will we do with the hole in the roof?

also, hartman just got paid!!!

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I prefer to watch them play on natural grass, but it just doesn't work with the square palates.

Like others have said, if anything it'll look better on TV, especially after a season of wear.

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Astroturf and Fieldturf are very different. Astroturf was essentially flat green carpet on top of concrete.

Fieldturf actually attempts to mimic the feel of grass on soil. Obviously it clearly feels different but its much softer and is well tested. Astroturf was always a choice of last resort when natural grass wasn't viable. Nowadays you even see open air stadiums using field turf because it is well proven and requires far less maintenance.

I'm not sure anyone (outside of a few high school stadiums in the US) uses astroturf anymore.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Oh, man. Nick is not going to be happy about this. After all...Andre Johnson has never suffered a season-ending injury on the grass, so why change it?

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Both are brands of synthetic turf...Coke & Pepsi.

What Irvin played on is completely different than what is on the market today.

I'll be curious to see what company gets the field. They all have their pluses and minuses. A company called UBU did the practice field. Astroturf provided the field that was supposed to be used for the college/high school games. Field Turf is the biggest and has the most fields in the NFL...but they're quality is beyond horrid and are the ones that look the worst on TV (see Seattle's field).

The only use for what you guys call "Astroturf" is field hockey, indoor training centers, and the random indoor soccer facility that refuses to upgrade. They have not been produced as a football/multiuse field in over a decade.

For reference sake, I worked for a company called TenCate and TigerTurf for 7 years. TenCate supplies about 60% of the worldwide market of the polyethylene yarn (grass) used to make synthetic turf. TigerTurf was a brand that was purchased by TenCate and now goes by the name GreenFields USA.

1 person likes this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Glad to hear it. This should have happened a while ago though.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Technically, both of those are just brands. Teams use Astroturf, it just isn't like the stuff they used to have in the Astrodome.

17. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Slightly expanded article:
    http://hou.scout.com/story/1511063-repot-nrg-stadium-to-change-to-field-turf?s=116

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Seattle, New England. Indy has a hole in their roof and uses it as well. That's for the brand FieldTurf. The Jets/Giants and the Bengals use a different brand, but it's essentially the same. And then JerryWorld uses a different brand too. That's at least 6 open air (or dome with a hole) stadiums that use turf.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Thank god. Worst field in the league title is now Oakland's!

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I can't say that I've ever been watching a football game and thought, man, this would be better if they were playing on real grass.

I really just don't get why it matters and why it took them so long to do this. The majority of pro sports use the field turf anyhow.