1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video game] No Man's Sky -- Open World Sci-Fi Adventure

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Oct 26, 2014.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

"No Man's Sky" Might Be Hitting the PS4 in June 2015- And It'll Take You 585 Billion Years to Complete It

The buzz around "No Man's Sky" is enormous- the game doesn't even have a release date yet and, somehow, the entire gaming world is ready to take on this space exploration adventure.

"No Man's Sky" might remind you of "Spore"- in that the player can explore infinite amounts of planets in space, all with their own ecosystems and inventive, procedurally-generated surroundings. The only difference being that "Spore" was kind of a disappointment, while "No Man's Sky" has the potential to be so much more.

And hopefully, we'll remember it more fondly than most people do "Spore."

Now, according to KpopStarz, we might just have a release date for "No Man's Sky." They're claiming that the game's Playstation 4 release date is sometime in June of 2015; however they're quick to add that the game's release date on Xbox One is still up in the air.

And now for something to make that wait even more difficult- according to Techno Buffalo, the game is so massive that it would take so much time to beat that a single player couldn't do it in one lifetime.

Or one hundred lifetimes.

Or one million lifetimes.

Seriously.

They're getting their info from a Tweet from the official Playstation Twitter account, which claims the following ridiculous stat:

"It'll take us 585 billion years to discover every planet in No Man's Sky on PS4"

Considering most games tend to boast if they've got more than 15 hours of gameplay, 585 billion years' worth puts basically every other game in existence to shame.

Let's hope that release date comes sooner rather than later-we'll barely have one lifetime to play as much "No Man's Sky" as possible.

Check back soon for the latest news on "No Man's Sky," its release date and its several billion hours of gameplay.

link

2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Challenge Accepted

3. KingCheetah

Looks like someone is getting a PS4.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I hate these kinds of stupid claims. but it still looks promising

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nLtmEjqzg7M?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. KingCheetah

^ This looks like the type of game i've been waiting a long time to play.

6. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I don't trust the developer to deliver on gameplay but the game looks great artistically. Hopefully it works out because I love the concept.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Sounds like repetitive gameplay on each of those randomly generated planets.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I remember when Spore came out and had a similar hype. From nothing to everything. The game ended up being good, but simply couldn't live up to my hopes.

This game sounds spectacular, but I simply don't expect it to what we want. Having said that, maybe games like this and Destiny are precursors to some other game that finally puts it all together.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This. Sounds cool in theory, but seems like it will lack substance, which is the same thing that plagued Destiny.

10. KingCheetah

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CLcjvIQJns0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gameplay.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

As long as I don't have to mine one thing on each of 10,000 planets like in that Mass Effect game. That was ridiculous. Think there is a limit to how much discovery one is willing to do without a real reward for the effort. Think developers should focus more on cause and effect in their worlds. If I save a Kingdom then it and its people should evolve so I can go back and see how I'm making a difference.

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

It just released for PS4 and will release for the PC on the 12th.

13. Caesar

Caesar Member

Is this an Online only game?

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

No, in fact it supports multiplayer in theory only as the sandbox is so vast there is virtually zero chance of encountering a friend.

15. Caesar

Caesar Member

So basically i can play offline and the universe will randomize itself with other beings/exploring/trading/stealing etc? Computer will go explore planets as well?

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think you will have to be online, but it won't really feel like you are since you are unlikely to encounter another player.

I read today there are something like 18 quintillion planets out in the NMS sandbox. Your main objective will be survival at first, but once you build up your resources and ship you can start exploring more.

1 person likes this.
  17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Really wish I had a PS4 for this.

18. marky :)

marky :) Member

This is kind of refraining me from buying this right away. Until there are some reviews after like 100hours of gameplay I may not buy it.

Is this a survival first/only game and exploring is secondary to finding resources to survive or what Moe just listed(which I'm fine with). Pretty much if I have to constantly say/think, "crap I need xyz before I die" almost every couple minutes in the game it won't really appeal to me.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah I read a review today that was talking about how it was annoying at first because of the constant need to keep replenishing resources, but apparently it gets better after a while and then you can focus more on exploration.

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I don't get the appeal of this game. Once you start exploring, what's the point? Just fly around to the next randomly generated planet with different models?