1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whitney Mercilus

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 26, 2012.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

DE - Illinois. Texans first-round pick.

Discuss.

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

guess we needed to replace some on DEF since we got cheap and let few contributors go in free agency

3. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Love this pick, love it.

4. Garner

Garner Member

I'm probably the only one here, but I didn't catch a lot of Illinois games this past season.

5. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

2 sacks in 3 seasons then 16 sacks last year....I pray he isn't a 1 hit wonder with upshaw still available

6. Garner

Garner Member

Thanks for that analysis, Kiper

1 person likes this.
  7. Apps

Apps Member

I should've posted this in this thread instead of the General NFL draft one:

I'm cool with this pick.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...itney-mercilus

"As one of several pass rushers capable of lining up at defensive end in the 4-3 or outside linebacker in the 3-4, I fully expect him to be drafted higher than my ranking indicates." - Rob Rang

Of all his statistics, forced fumbles [9] is the one that many scouts admire most. "I just have a knack for it," he said. "Throughout the game I was able to watch the quarterback's movements and just see him open up and then I just go in there and just knock it away."

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I can't believe Seattle took Irvin over Mercilus based on what everyone is saying.

9. Apps

Apps Member

From the CBS link I posted above: Mercilus' startling 2011 season sent scouts scrambling to learn more about him, and the news was better than expected. After two mediocre seasons at Illinois, Mercilus used cat-like moves to become an All-American and win the Ted Hendricks Award as the best defensive end in the country. He led the nation with 16 sacks, nine forced fumbles and had 22.5 tackles for a loss. Of all his statistics, forced fumbles is the one that many scouts admire most. "I just have a knack for it," he said. "Throughout the game I was able to watch the quarterback's movements and just see him open up and then I just go in there and just knock it away." Scouts gush a list of positives traits, including quickness, agility, strength, instincts, condition, attitude ... and he is just beginning to mature and could be a great outside linebacker. Reaching for comparisons, they mention names like Simeon Rice, Dwight Freeney, Richard Dent, and even the great Reggie White. The U.S.-born son of parents who emigrated from Haiti in the 1980s, Mercilus played mostly soccer until high school. His 2011 season had an auspicious beginning when he lost the tip of his left index finger last spring in a weight-room accident. Teammates were shocked when he light-heartedly dismissed the injury as only a bother when he played the keyboard or tried to pick up coins.

10. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Irvin would've been available in the 2nd probably, bad pick.

11. conquistador#11

He had been on my target for the past three weeks. Love his huge hands, ability to disengage, relentless and true battlefighter. also, with a name like merciless, how do you go wrong? Back to you, hsf.

1 person likes this.
  12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/81bWr2CROSY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F3UGOz6F2Q0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7dRfbVwoI78" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I love the pick. Even though coming in I wanted a WR, there was too much talent dropping to us.

Arguably the most athletic linebacker on the board, and I fell confident that Wade will bring the best out of him.

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

Uh, headlines after his first big game?

MERCILUS IS MERCILESS!

#Hewaspickedforhisname.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Gives us depth.

And possibly makes Barwin ,who is a UFA after next year, expendable in our never ending search for cap space.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

oh my god

mercilus has a lisp

this is too good to be true

19. AB423

AB423 Member

I think they took Irvin because he was the fastest DE in the combine.

20. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

led the nation in sacks(16) and forced fumbles(9) in 2011

don't know who he is.. but he sounds perfect.