1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Ryan Lochte incident in Rio

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac'n, Aug 19, 2016.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You can't shoot someone in Houston for merely trespassing or pissing on your property. C'mon dude.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What did I just watch?

Klan Central Station?

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yes you can

There are plenty of cases of home owners shooting people through front doors just for knocking late at night and NO CHARGES WERE FILED.

You forget this is Texas and we have rights.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Joe Horn did it . . but i guess that is pasadena. . . . it was not even his property

Rocket River

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

got em unarmed and running away too.

God bless Texas.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Castle doctrine

7. Major

Major Member

I was at the Olympics for a week. We were expecting the worst between Zika, protests, government instability, transit problems, and deadly bacteria in the water. Transport was easy between the venues. No real waits or traffic problems or anything like that. The water where the sailing was happening had real issues and smelled horrible and there were a few logistical issues with security, etc, but overall, it was as safe, clean, and well run as I've ever seen for a massive sporting event.

As an example, we had about 40,000 people leaving all at once to go to a *bus* station and expected a 3-4 hour wait to get through the lines. In reality, they had dozens of buses leaving every minute and we waited less than 5 minutes. I wouldn't have expected that kind of efficiency even in the most well-run country. All the venues were clean and all the areas we were at were really safe - we walked right through a anti-government protest of thousands of people and never once felt unsafe or concerned.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Joe Horn didn't shoot some one for merely trespassing.

He shot two people that had seconds earlier robbed his next door neighbor.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I am glad you had a good time and felt safe.

Brazil is is still (sadly) a very dangerous country where recent poverty issues that have only increased violent crime problems.

Beautiful country, the people can be a lot of fun. Not a place to go and trust that you will be safe.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Coincidentally, the same can be said about the USA.

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/latest...ated-his-version-of-events-too-141250255.html

Highlights:
    Rio police staged a crime scene.
    The only vandalism the American swimmers did was public urination and Lochte ripped a poster.
    Bystander translator said a gun was drawn by security guards.
    Security guards demanded money.

I think it's understandable how the Americans felt they were robbed. A lot of things got lost in translation and took off from there.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

They were clearly robbed at gunpoint. Any comparisons of use of a public restroom to house burglary is top class b8 tho.

14. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

15. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

You love to exaggerate how bad places can be. Maybe you're just in the minority with such things. Just because it has issues doesn't mean there aren't safe areas. Especially for an event such as big as the Olympics. Terrorism would be a bigger concern than local violent crime problems.

16. Major

Major Member

Of course it is - that's true of most developing countries around the world. That's very different than comparing it to Afghanistan or Syria. If you're scared of places like Brazil, you're going to miss out on huge chunks of the world.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Seriously, I'd be afraid to go out at night after a certain time. Some Euro cities...not so much fear.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Castle Doctrine is different from trespassing.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Not after three beers.

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I don't think it's understandable how someone can vandalize property then think they are being robbed when someone has told them they need to pay $$ to cover the damages they just created. You realize what you just did. If someone has communicated to you that you need to pay for damages then you aren't being robbed.