1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yulieski Gurriel agrees to 5/$47M deal with the Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

In Hinch's interview yesterday he said he expects Gurriel to see time at LF in the Pirate series. And eventually at 1B when needed. Although that may change if he tweaked something today.

2. Buck Turgidson

I love the fact that the newest guy is "Pavlov's dogs". Ring that bell, rollerinrk

3. Major

Major Member

He's getting paid about the same per year as Scott Feldman. It's not really a defining contract at all. $10MM/yr is a fairly typical midtier FA contract - lots of those guys end up mediocre. If a team can't afford can misses on those types of contracts, then any GM is going to be a failure.

4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I agree with Snake; it'll be a defining contract Luhnow's tenure. Off the top of my head it's the largest FA contract he's given out. We all know he's trying to pay below market price for ML talent. Given the financial constraints it's basically expected. However, sometimes GMs have to bite the bullet and pay market price for talent. Luhnow could easily get burned on this like several of the recent Cuban players.

5. Major

Major Member

It's the largest in total value, but it's not the largest per year - again, a middle tier pitcher in Scott Feldman got more than him. 5 years or 3 years, it's a relatively middling contract that most teams give out regularly and many of which result in mediocre players. You don't really get "burned" on those because the expectations aren't - or shouldn't be - that high.

Contracts, especially non-impactful ones like this, don't really define anyone's tenure. If Gurriel sucks but the Astros win a World Series, no one's going think poorly of Lunhow. If Gurriel is awesome, but the Astros are horrible again, no one is going to think Lunhow was great. If we sign a $25MM or $30MM player, that might define how the team does and thus shape how we view Lunhow. But this contract is completely forgettable and irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. At best, we're hoping he'll be the 5th best offensive player on the team (behind Altuve, Correa, Springer, and Bregman in whatever order).

6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Gurriel to LF/1B eh. Guess he wasn't promised 3B after all....

Proof that Bregman has been a wizard fielding 3rd.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Right on!

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

At best, I'm hoping he is better than Correa and Altuve. :)

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think their plan with Gurriel is to DH him but get him able to fill in at 1B, 3B, and LF. He will be a valuable piece if he can do that and be an above average hitter.

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, Gurriel just rolled out of bed and started hitting once he got to the show. It'll be interesting to see where things stand once he's settled in...Obviously there's already a book on him, but I'm not sure this small stretch gives our opposition enough time to really refine/adjust to it this year....Color me impressed with YG so far.

#610 Plowman, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Gurriel has started well, no doubt.

Great OPS numbers across the board.. hits to all fields and has a 1/1 walk ratio... Bregman.. nor Springer, nor Altuve, nor Correa, nor Valbuena, nor 90% of baseball can boast that. Small sample size, true, but it's real MLB stats.

He's doing real well.

12. raining threes

Sure wish he would've come up 2 weeks earlier. It couldbe the difference between making the playoffs or not.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

2 weeks ago he was in the midst of his stay in the high minors getting his timing back. He went 6-35 between AA and AAA. No reason to think he wouldn't have been at least that terrible in the MLB.

Based on results the Astros appear to have handled his promotion schedule perfectly, hard to say anything else.

14. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Anyone else notice him limping when he runs after hits?

15. bobrek

He had a hamstring issue that kept him out of the lineup for a few games. Probably still a bit tender.

16. raining threes

I agree with you.

I just wish he could've gotten here earlier. I understand why he wasn't

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The big wish is certainly that he had signed earlier. Wouldn't have been so bad, except for Valbuena's injury and Bregman's early struggles.

18. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

How did Gurriel perform defensively? I missed the game last night.

19. bobrek

He had 0 balls hit his way.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He can hit all he likes; personally, I'm disappointed in his approach to buttoning his jersey. Singleton has forever soured me on guys who don't button their jersey up all the way.

[​IMG]