1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Comic Book Cinema] DC's Suicide Squad

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

Because most of the heroes in their own movies can handle themselves. Cap, IM and Thor have shown the ability to handle their enemies / threats. The strongest people (sans Enchantress) in SS aren't necessarily superpowered. One person is really accurate with a gun. One is accurate with a boomerang. One likes to use a sword. One likes to use a bat. One looks like a croc, and...has the strength of a croc?

In fact, the only person with a power is El Diablo. And with a cool intro for all the members, but no essentially origin story, we don't really care about the characters.

Replies to some of Nero's concerns in bold. On the whole, I agree with most everything said though. This movie was just...not very good.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

• Too many characters.
    • Joker had only a minor role.
    • Too much action left no suspense or drama.
    • Flag was boring.
    • Had difficulty keeping up with plot and timeline.

Overall, not a good movie.

3. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

It's getting an extended cut. Hopefully it fixes a lot of the major issues and adds more Joker.

5. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Only 13 more minutes. I'm hoping the majority of them are Harley and Joker interactions.

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I don't think more Joker helps that movie. Jared Leto's Joker may have been the worst take I have ever seen on the character. He seemed like a pretty typical gangbanger, especially with all of his stupid tattoos and the grill. Honestly, after Heath Ledger's performance, they should just leave the Joker alone in movies and move on to other Batman villains, of which there are plenty.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don't want to but I agree with you for the most part. The look was panned as soon as a picture was floated around on the internet. Everyone said just wait and see what they do with it. Leto is a good actor in my opinion. He just looked stupid though. Perhaps he could get normal enamel put in and wear a long sleeve shirt and with a good script you never know haha

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

Leto's Joker look isn't all that bad when he's wearing a tuxedo or fully covered. Remove that tattoos, and the grill and he looks great IMO. It's the way he speaks that kind of makes me cringe. It's like he wanted to do something like Ledger with the voice but it just comes across as forced. I don't mind seeing him return in a Batman solo film so long as he fixes some things with the voice and doesn't walk around shirtless. He just needs some better dialogue and scenes which maybe Affleck can give.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Didn't watch, but reading, it sounds like DC screwed up both THE JOKER and LEX LUTHOR? That's a pretty big hole to climb out of.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

To put it mildly. Eisenberg's Luthor was extremely poorly written, and it was an awful performance. Lex Luthor shouldn't be making Mickey Mouse noises. Just terrible all around

Joker didn't work either. The emo trash look was awful, and they tried too hard to make the character look crazy. Ledger was the perfect crazy Joker, never should have tried to top that. They should have went with a stable Joker with flashes of crazy, not weirdness in every scene.

FWIW they did Harley about as well as you could have hoped, and Affleck feels like an awesome Batman.

Xerobull likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't really mind the Leto Joker and I think it would have worked if the studio allowed it to work instead of meddling with it. It was for sure a different Joker than we've seen in the past, but if they had kept scenes in that showed the true nature of his relationship with Harley Quinn and he was allowed to be the Joker, I think it works just fine.

They absolutely screwed up Lex Luthor though. If they played it more like Jesse Eisenberg played Mark Zuckerburg in The Social Network then it could have worked as a young Lex Luthor.....instead they played it as if he was the Heath Ledger Joker from Dark Knight mixed with the Jim Carey Riddler at the end of Batman Forever....and that's just terrible.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Jack's joker crushes Ledger, IMO.
    2. Jim's Riddler is wonderful, and yes giving Lex any of those personality traits is disturbing. Terrible casting job.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

You seem like a great guy, and I'm sure I'd love to drink a beer with you. But I've read your opinions on movies, including these, and I don't think we should go see a movie together ever. :)

I promise that's not criticism. To each his own.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Haha you never know. I'm trying to remember what other movie comments I have made. To be honest TDK just doesn't get me off like it does most. :)

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Just a reminder that Eisenberg was playing Lex Luthor's son. I still think it was just a weak character, but it wasn't supposed to be THE Lex Luthor.

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I finally watched this movie recently and was just not digging it. Deadshot and Harley were somewhat interesting but the movie just seemed like it fell apart at the end. I was like what the hell am I watching at that point. Still interested in the solo Batman flick, but don't have as high hopes as I did before.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yeah, that's right, there was that scene where he said his father was the "Lex" in front of the "corp", but since most people either forget that or missed it, I'd say that's a sign of bad movie making.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's out on HBO now. So I watched it for a bit, but I had to stop. Worse movie I've seen in a while. Harley Quinn, a character I never had any interest in, seemed kind of cheesy - she was the only bright spot.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, this movie definitely sucked. I was sad about that, but even sadder that I wasted my time watching it.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I now know Cara Delevingne is a thing now. (Enchantress)