1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

The Backup PG issue

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Feb 8, 2007.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

This has probably been discussed before, but what optins are there for probably our #1 problem, which is backup PG? Either via trade or FA. I won't consider a rookie PG (VSpan or 07 draft) as a viable solution given the veteran team we have.

I think Dan Dickau would make an excellent backup for us. He can be had for cheap as he is currently languishing away on the Blazer bench (8 mins a game). He has a carrer A/T ration of 2.6:1.2 and is only 2 years removed from his 13.5/5.2 year with the Hornets. Plus he comes from Gonzaga so you know he's fundamentally sound. I've seen the guy play and he's like a shorter whiter version of Battier in terms of IQ without the stellar defense. He's 28 so he isn't too old or too young.

Any other options available? Let's talk realistic options.

2. Chronz

Chronz Member

There were some rumors going around that Chucky Atkins was a possability. I really like our backcourt rotation, Head may not be fit for the pg role but I love the way he compliments Tmac when hes in point forward mode and hes not a liability at the 1.

3. agentkirb

agentkirb Member

I think Jon Jon is the PG of the future. JVG has made statements about how he's impressed with the way he's turned out this year. He no Steve Nash, but there isn't much more you could ask for in a backup PG.

4. dividend

dividend Member

Hi John Lucas :D

5. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

If Jon Barry was still in game shape I would like him to be our backup pg. He shoots as well as anyone on the team and his passes are fundamentally sound! :D

6. agentkirb

agentkirb Member

7. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

if that costs us JL3 and Padgett, I won't mind.

8. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

wow i havnt heard of dan dickau since he was a hornet. i'd love to have him but i think hes a liability on defense.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

^
    yeah, big time. i remember he had a few big games in boston.

10. hotballa

yeah Dan's defense is horrible, but with the incredible team defense that we play, I think we can cover it up. His weaknesses is one on one defense, which is something that JVG tries to limit. Dan's IQ ishigh enoug that if it was a team defense philosophy, he would pick it up real quick.

11. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I'd love to get Dan Dickau, I have always been a fan of him.

I don't think he is starter material at all but he can be a great back-up PG, I know it.

Whats his salary like?

12. hotballa

I think he makes around 1 million a year. Very very manageable.

13. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

If Rafer were to get hurt, this team is in trouble but we could continue. But if any one of Juwan, or Chuck or Deke gets hurt, we are in really big trouble.

If Juwan gets hurt,
    Chuck and Deke are the starters. :eek: Can you say "TMac gets doubled?"

If Deke gets hurt,
    Chuck is our starting center. :eek:

If Chuck gets hurt,
    Deke won't be able to play increased minutes. Padget or Novak would play 25+ mpg.

If Rafer gets hurt, we've got lots of options ...albeit less than ideal. If we have an injury at PF/C, we'll get steamrolled.

#13 krosfyah, Feb 8, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  14. hotballa

We looked terrible without Rafe, and everyone pretty much acknowledged it.

Chuck was the starter before or at least got a majority of the minutes. I would be more concerned about losing him when Yao comes back.

Juwon would be the starter

We can weather the storm since yao will be back soon. Battier, Chuck, JHo, Deke, Padgett are all better options at PF/C than JL3 or Head at PG.

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

..................ummmmmmmmmmmmm

what if McGrady gets hurt?

16. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Dude... bite your tongue! Don't be saying **** like that! or knock on wood or something... do not jinx the man!

17. hotballa

My scenario does not involve rafer getting hurt, it's about when he's off the court because our offense really struggles at times when Head or JL3 is handling things.

18. stq

stq Member

I agree, if anything we need a backup PF/C
    Deke's body is starting to break down after all those long minutes, and we still have more than one month to go before Yao comes back. We NEED help in the front court

19. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I acknowledged it too. But we'd look WORSE if we took another injury at PF/C.

At no point has Chuck and Deke been starters together. When they play together, we are a complete and total disaster. Relying on those two as our starters is a far worse scenario then loosing Rafer.

With no backup.

Maybe. But what happens when Deke retires? Who's the backup 5? Finding another servicable big man is a bigger priority. I'll admit that Juwan's elevated play reduces the need ...until somebody else gets hurt.

Don't kill the messenger. I've heard two seperate interviews w/ CD or Morrey both saying that acquiring another big man is the top priority. Think about it ...Rafer is not injury prone and we have several other options. But getting another injury at PF/C is forseeable.

Don't hold your breath for a PG unless somebody makes us an offer to good to refuse. Getting another big is our priority.

20. hotballa

Ok I see the problem, I'm talking about the backup while the starter is resting, not while he is injured.