1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pgabriel, Nov 30, 2006.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Apparently this guy needs to start watching his back or tone it down. Flipped the station to Jim Rome, and Jimmy King, former Fab Fiver, was upset about something Simmons wrote about him. Apparently in one of his many rants about Webber, he said Jimmy King was somewhere working at an In and Out Burger, and served him food.

King didn't take kindly to that and isn't flipping burgers. What is it with that anyway, anytime someone insults an athlete who doesn't make it they say they are flipping burgers somewhere. Do we hate athletes that much? But that's a whole nother subject.

2. deepellumrocket

Simmons can bite it. I quit reading him after all the Houston-bashing during the Super Bowl, World Series, and NBA All-Star Game.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Here is what Simmons wrote:

"Did you ever think in a kajillion years that C-Webb, one of the 10 greatest power forwards of all time, would lose his job to Shavlik Freaking Randolph? Meanwhile, Juwan Howard is a contract albatross in Houston, Jalen Rose can't get any minutes in Phoenix, and I think Jimmy King made me an Animal-style burger at In-N-Out last night. So much for the Fab Five. "

4. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

It was just a joke. But for a guy with Simmons' visibility (on espn.com), he's going to piss some people off with his jokes. He's already been called out by Isiah, and Elgin Baylor. Just goes with the territory for his style.

And in the end he'll get more publicity out of this whole thing. So whatever.

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I usually find Simmons to be funny, except when he's making fun of Houston.

6. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

The goofy thing about his article is the fact that all of the guys are getting older now. What do you expect, the guys to be all stars through their 40s? It's the natural progression of a basketball career and he's bashing them for...what is it exactly?

7. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Bill Simmons is funny. He dishes it out, and nobody is holy, especially if it involves anything Boston or his beloved Clips.

Call me crazy, but Charles Barkley and Stephen A. Smith talk just as much smack as Simmons, and nobody seems to get offended by them.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

nobody gets offended by barkley or smith????? :confused:

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, everyone absolutely loves those two guys. Freaking double standard.

10. zantabak

zantabak Member

everything Simmons ever wrote about Houston was true.

11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

well howard, webber, and rose did all manage to become basically the most overpaid players in the entire league, even close to their prime so it makes it easier to diss them now. it's kind of amazing actually to have 3 college teammates all get such outlandish, underserved contracts.

webber and his massive 6 yr contract that is going to pay him something like 22M next year. howard and his 7 yr/105M contract. jalen on whatever contract is paying him like 16M right now.

webber is pretty much the only one close to deserving his, and that was only for the first year or two. jalen and howard's talent wasn't even in the same ballpark as their salaries. overpaid in college, now overpaid in the pros.

well to be fair, most athletes don't exactly come off as brilliant.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i don't remember what he wrote. but i don't usually see the words Simmons, everything and true in the same sentence.

13. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Alright, hitching any argument to the credibility of Stephen A. Smith is a mistake, but does anyone get away with calling up Rome to cry about what Barkley said about them on TV?

Billy King got all the perks (legal and otherwise) of being on the Fab Five, he shouldn't cry about getting called out on a Fab Five joke. He can cry himself to sleep remembering all the co-eds he boinked back in the day.

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Of course Jimmy King isn't flipping burgers! I'm sure he invested all that booster money he got while at Michican and is living pretty comfortably right now...

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

that's a pretty good point, but I would argue that howard and to a lessor extent rose were victims of their contracts. meaning you can't blame the them for teams being stupid enough to give them all that money. its not like they didn't perform to the level they could reach. people expected them to be better because of their pay, but they were who they were.

16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I like reading Simmons' column. I think he's pretty funny. Sure, some of the things he says pisses me off (dogging houston, etc...), but I'm sure that most of the stuff that he writes that makes me laugh is pissing someone off somewhere, so it's worth it :D

17. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

sorry. i think simmons is hilarioius...even when he's bashing houston. get over yourself.

18. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

He is actually one of the most enjoyable columnists out there. He is a guy's guy...writes about his buddies, their fantasy leagues, their guys trips etc....i find him hysterical. He is usually spot on with his anecdotes and is pure entertainment.

BTW...the column about Houston will make u laugh ur ass off.

Now that we have won this series vs the Cards...the column below is actually pretty funny...

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/051018

19. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I personally really enjoy Bill Simmons. You can't take what he says as legitimate reporting. It's entertainment.

It's funny stuff.

:)

20. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Did anyone see that time Simmons was on Jimmy Kimmel and as he was coming out he tripped over some step and ate it ? It was pretty funny and embarrassing (for him).