1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Computer Memory Problems ?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nikos, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Nikos

Nikos Member

Hi I have an annoying problem with my computer.

I have Windows XP Pro on it. I have a 76.3GB HD. The File System is FAT32 and my free space is 46.3GB.

It has 1.00GHz 368 MB of RAM and is Pentium III Processor.

It is a SONY VAIO.

The problem:

My memory (% free at a given time) seems to be very strange and glitchy. I have a memory blaster at the lower corner of my screen and when my computer starts up its at about 50-60. When I use IE 6.0 and open a few windows at a time eventually it goes down to 20-30 and when I leave the computer on for a white it goes down to 6-7% memory free.

Essentially my computer freezes alot and has alot of memory problems. One time Ill open IE and use one window then when I try to open another window I just get a blank window screen instead of it opening a webpage on IE. I am assuming it has something to do with my memory allocation or usage?

Basically my computer is not running smoothly. I want to be able to use MusicMatch Jukebox and IE at once and sometimes Adobe photosop or other programs. I know it sounds like a lot but thats not too much programs at once and I know for a fact my computer should be running faster.

Does anyone know what the problem is and why I keep getting these glitches and lack of being able to use multiple programs? In my taskbar on the lower right I do have Musicmatch there but not much else except the Memory Blaster program and the data mangers and a few other standard things.

Does anyone know what could be the problem with my computer?

If so please tell me some ideas as to how I can fix it cause its been like this for months and I can't really figure out why. Could it have to do with my virtual memory?

2. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

You need RAM not hard drive space. They are totally different. I am sure you know what Ram is, otherwise I can explain it all in a detailed post. Just get some DRAM or a RAM upgrade. Also get rid of the spyware.

3. Nikos

Nikos Member

Well I use to have 128 RAM than I upgraded it to 384.

When it was 128 it didn't do these type of things but back then I did not have Windows XP.

What are some things I can do to make the computer run more smoothly?

4. LeGrouper

It is probably and adware/spyware problem. I assume you have a cable or ethernet modem.

If you have 384 RAM, why not get DRAM? Where did you get your RAM for your Sony?

5. Nikos

Nikos Member

What exactly is DRAM?

I got my RAM from COMP USA but I checked on the SONY WEBSITE for my specfic computer to see if the RAM was the right one and compatible.

6. LeGrouper

It basically is like double powered SDRAM or RAM. Single Drive is the old kind - SDRAM and DRAM is double drive. You can fit twice as much in the same drive. But if you have 384 then I am thinking your problem is probably spyware or adware. You can buy a program from best buy to get rid of that. If you download alot then the songs or movies or p*rn are laced with spyware and adware to let outsiders monitor your computer and send you stuff or use your drive space for their websites. Don't buy anything to combat adware or spyware online, only get it from a store so you know you aren't getting conned.

7. davo

davo Contributing Member

Before you try too much else, try shutting down/disabling Windows Messager. I was having trouble with my PC running VERY slowly - I could hear the HD churning away and CPU usage was always above 60%. Then I disabled Windows Messager and it was fixed.

Your problem may not be this simple, but it is worth a try:)

8. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

i don't c where the problem is. the memory usages went up when u start up computer is becoz XP need to load a dozen of services when u started it up, it will goes down when it's done loading.

9. LeGrouper

LegendZ3 I just saw your sig. You have obviously never had a woman do ******* **** ****** *** ****** **** to you.

10. l3uddhab0y

l3uddhab0y Contributing Member

The problem could be that you have some unnessary programs starting up when you start your computer.Therefore its gonna run in the background,using up some of your memory.When you startup your cpu,do you notice how many icons are overthere by the time???If there alot,then you need to disable some of those programs by clearing your msconfig.Also,winxp takes alot of resources to run,so its a good idea to upgrade to some more ram.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Do a ctrl-alt-del to see what programs are running. Click on the tab to the far left to see the applications. The 2nd tab shows all the actual processes which differ from the applications. Make a note of those as well (there will be many and there will be some duplicates - this is not a cause for alarm)

Report back and we can tell you which ones may be causing you problems. Generally 384 MB should be O.K. to do what you are trying to do.

What is this 'memory blaster' program you are running?

I run XP pro with 512 MB on a Dell laptop and have had absolutely no problems over the past year.

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

there is definitely something up here...it isnt just normal XP behavior.
    I run 512 of DDR and XP and never have the problem he describes. Even with multiple apps running.

Windows os's used to have real memory resource release problems, but since 2k, most of the problems have been taken care of.