1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kind of wish they hadn't named LeBron MVP on the eve of the series opener...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2rings, May 4, 2009.

1. 2rings

2rings Member

...Kobe needs no added motivation. I remember when Robinson was given Hakeem's MVP trophy how much he made the Spurs pay for the slight. While I know its not exactly parallel as LeBron obviously isn't playing for the rox, superstars with chips on their shoulder are a bad combo. Maybe, just maybe he will try to take over the game and get his and leave the others out in the cold. Here's to hoping.

2. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

they always do it after the first round. right?

3. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Would you rather LeBron win it, and Kobe probably doesn't care?

Or would you rather Kobe win it, and have him WANT to play like the MVP?

I'd rather LeBron win it.

4. 2rings

2rings Member

As I said in the OP, I don't like superstars feeling "slighted." Please see Olajuwon circa 1995.

5. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Well then I guess it's a blessing we don't have LeBron James on our team.

6. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Yeah, if LeBron wins it (which he probably will), Kobe will feel slighted, sure.

But if Kobe happens to win it, he will want to play even harder than he does, to prove that he did deserve it. (Kobe will want to prove Lebron and D-Wade lovers wrong.)

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

uhhh..i think kobe and the rest of the world know the MVP was going to lebron BEFORE the playoffs started.

8. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

-Lebron getting MVP means little
    -Artest's comments about Brandon Roy being the best means little
    -Artest trash talking to Kobe means little

Kobe is one of the most motivated players in the league. I don't see how any of this will make Kobe play "harder." He's obviously giving it 110% any time he's out there.

Losing in the Finals last year is motivation enough for Kobe, now its up to us to somehow keep him from dominating

9. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Why do you guys worry Kobe so much?! I think Artest is right: Roy is a bigger threat. LAL is good because they are a good team.

10. jshabang

jshabang Member

memo to the OP.......just in case u forgot....

this guy is kobe bryant for god sake......they call him the black mamba.....the most deadly, poisonous, lethal snake on the face of the planet....a straight killer

and they call him that for a reason.........he has legendary work ethic like the legends of the game(bird, magic, MJ)and works on his game in the off season like hes a rookie with no contract......he is Micheal jordan reincarnated and is a deadly assasin without any motivation

I am saying all that to say and trust me on this one...........KOBE BRYANT IS THE ABSOLUTE LAST PERSON IN TODAYS NBA that needs motivation to rip your heart out of your chest and show it to you........he will do that regardless to whoever he plays....or who wins what.........

now when and if they eventually get to the finals and hes cross court from king james......than yes.....he will want to shove that MVP trophy right down lebrons throat........and honestly and truely not being a homer.....I cant wait to see that....it will definatley be worth the price of admission.......and the series would be EPIC......you can bank on that

but hopefully our rocks can foil those plans and try to throw a monkey wrench in that program starting tonight :D ;) :p

11. JSUB11

JSUB11 Member

Wow, maybe you should go write for ESPN. You'd fit right in, right next to Stuart Scott.

12. 2rings

2rings Member

memo back: Hakeem Olajuwon was likely one of the top 3 centers to ever play the game (my personal #1 but I ma biased as he!!). Not sure if you are old enough to remember, but in 1995 when Robinson "won" the MVP, he told Mario Elie that "they gave him my trophy." Mario said that he knew then that there would be he!! to pay and that he would be huge in the series. the greatest have another gear that they can call upon. Its the coompetitive fire that makes them that great. While I despise Kobe, you can't deny that he is great and he has that killer instinct. I think you would also agree that while the Lakers dispatched Utah with ease, they didn't do so with overwhelming play. They slept walked a little through the series. I don't want anything - real or imagined - to wake up Kobe.

13. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

I agree with the OP, and thought of that as soon as they announced it.

Remember when they snubbed Dream for Robinson? It is motivation for him and the Lakers. The fans are gonna chant "MVP" all night tonight and that will further pump this team to win tonight for Kobe more than any other game in the season.

14. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

great just great

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Kobe trying to prove something might not be a bad thing for us. But I doubt that this MVP thing will affect his game against us.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just come out and get physical....Kobe is a killer as long as Artest is not calling him lucky..we will be ok.

DD

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I mentioned this in another thread but the Lakers aren't good when Bryant makes it a one man show. I think we are almost better off having him go off as long as the rest of the Lakers don't get involved.

18. jshabang

jshabang Member

thats my point man..........what gives u the impression hes sleep and needs to be woken up........thats all I am saying........Kobe always shows up and plays 100% at all times.........he doesnt need sideway talk and motivation.....hes there all the time

ronnie brewer said not a word of anthing to the guy and he torched the poor kid like brewer had slapped his mom....LOL....I felt terrible for the kid.......he was draped on kobe like a cheap suit playing the best defense in the world and kobe was hittin these shots that made my mouth hit the floor...literally....it was hilarious....

its all good and he may be motivated from that but man that guy is a beast against us all the time....that i will say

19. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

i didnt even think of that but the way i see it is we have to go through the Fakers if we want to win the tittle. I think its possible and Von Wafer is gonna be the X-Factor

20. worzel gummidge

I was hoping for a choke job but that's out of the question now. One of the Lakers said Kobe was playing to make a statement in the Utah series... This just makes it a harder battle for the Rockets.