1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo Anthony or the #1 Pick, which is more valuable?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TmacsRockets, May 25, 2008.

?

1. Carmelo Anthony

49 vote(s)
    28.7%
  2. #1 Pick

122 vote(s)
    71.3%
  1. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

If you are the Bulls which is better to have:

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

i'd rather have a stud pg like rose. Anthony isn't a guy that makes others better.

3. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

Coming out of college Melo was more of a stud and he actually led his team to the title.

4. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

From a pure talent and potential standpoint, Carmelo. You never know how good these rookies will turn out to be. Carmelo is a known commodity who has not reached his ceiling yet. However, to get Carmelo the Bulls would have to trade back equal salary and lose some talent. Also, the #1 pick won't make substantial money until he can sign an extension. Overall, the #1 pick is more valuable because of salary-related things.

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I have been thinking about a possible "Melo for the #1 pick" scenario also. It makes a ton of sense if you really want to move the pick since Melo right now is about the same age as your typical college junior/senior and would more than be considered equal value.

Melo, despite what his doubters say, is still a legit franchise player. He's coming off a season marked with significant improvements in both his rebounding and shooting percentages. Imagine his numbers if he was traded out to the Eastern Conference? He could probably lead the league in scoring.

6. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Melo's just gonna get fatter and slower as time goes by. At least the #1 pick has a clean slate.

I'd take Beasley.

7. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Melo is pretty much a beast. Give him a spin in the East like LeBron and he will put up way better numbers.

8. dream34shake

dream34shake Rookie

Melo also has off the court issues which neither beasley or rose really have. He doesn't try on defense. He is also a chucker at times and the Bulls already have one chucker on their team (ben gordon), they don't need another. So yes I'd have to go with beasley/rose being more valuable.

9. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

Beasley is compared to Melo.

10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

We aren't discussing anthony in college. As a pro he brings one asset to the table and that is being a great scorer. He doesn't make teammates better and half asses it on defense.

I'd rather take rose or beasley than add a one dimensional scorer on a max contract.

11. sook

sook Rookie

r-o-s-e

or b-e-a-s-l-e-y over m-e-l-o anyday

12. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

How often in retrospect is it useful to compare one player to another. ____ is the next ____.

For all the damn T-Mac Kobe threads, what have we learned? Has a player ever usefully compared to another player before the fact? It's almost as if all players are different, especially when they have superior talents. They are by definition 'unique'.

If Beasley is a punk or whatever, then Melo is preferable. Who knows. Maybe we're too in love with the possibilities of the future. Potential, whatever.

13. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

I understand what you are saying and I am surprised the results are this lopsided.

14. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

whoever prefers an unproven college "stud" over a young NBA superstar with a great body and a great shot is absolutely DUMB...

JJ Redick was stud in college, JJ Redick isn't even coming off the bench (only in trash time) ..

Acie Law was so freakin clutch that I thought he would be an instant NBA superstar.. what is he now?

yeah, give me Melo any day ..

15. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

If you're the Bulls, then Carmelo, no questions asked. They need a scorer in the worst way. Not only that, but they have enough pieces to make noise in the East if they just get the scorer they need.

But if I'm pretty much any team BUT the Bulls, I'd much rather have the #1 pick.

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

If it is a straight up trade....I would do if I were both Denver and Chicago.

1. Chicago, you bring everybody back with Carmelo Anthony, that team should have no business missing the playoffs, especially in the East.

Melo with Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, Thomas, and co. would be a very formidible team with decent coach.

2. Denver get to sort of rebuild, while possibly feeling other pieces, they are not going to win in the west with the team they have know. So they might as well restructe their team somwhat.

17. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

You're an idiot...and I'm not one to use ad hominem attacks. Your original premise was logical, but your supporting evidence is completely flawed. Noone even considered Reddick or Law to be super pro prospects to begin with.

The debate is between a proven super pro (Carmelo) and a potential superstar prospect (Rose). Not the strawman garbage you threw out.

18. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

Maybe add Hughes to the deal.

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I figure they would add someone until deal and possibly another draft choice (in future).

Larry Hughes, #1 draft pick, and possibly Nocioni or Sefolosha

for

Carmelo Anthony

That's good deal for both teams.

I figure they could possibly trade one of those two, becaue they would have glut of players at small forward....Deng, Carmelo, and Nocioni. I'm sure they might've even consider sending Deng, if they pick up Carmelo Anthony.

I don't think they keep him in the starting lineup, because he can't really be shooting guard nor small forward....and Nocioni is like an ideal 6th man. Hard to say.

It may not be impossible if the Bulls just offer up Deng and #1 for Carmelo, I think Nuggets would actually go for that in heart beat. Nuggets can get decent PG, PF, or even SG. The Nuggets would lose Carmelo's scoring, but would gain Deng's versatility and pick up another great prospect from the draft. They can any young player they want to.

It also helps Chicago, because they are not going(very likely) to choose any players in draft that are as good as Carmelo. They instantly would get a player who score 25 to 30 points a night.

That's the one thing that they have missed the last 3 seasons, and why they can't get past some of the better teams. People say Carmelo is not a superstar, but in this sense he is because the Bulls don't have any scorers, like this. If you put Carmelo with Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich, Tyrus Thomas, and Noah....you have pretty good young team and if you don't lose Deng, talent wise....you already have about 3rd or 4th best team in the East.

OT: I think the Rockets should try to get involved in it to as three way deal and try to make run for Chris Duhon (his yearly salary is around 3 million). We can send package deal of Head, possibly a draft pick (1st or 2nd), and someone else.

20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Again, I'm gonna emphasize that the Bulls have a capable PG (Hinrich) and Carmelo is still learning the game, he may eventually become a willing passer. He's not going to be handling the ball alot, if coach has them in the right system. If the Bulls somehow ending up D'Antoni and pull off this Carmelo deal someway then....he could work magic with them.

Their defense might take a hit, but they would be in 105 to 110 range in points. They've got the perfect players to run and gun for a whole season.