1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG's tirades during timeouts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oschadha, Mar 14, 2006.

1. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

What is the deal with JVG calling a timeout and making a mockery of Yao in front of fans, the opposing team, and for everyone to see on television. This is not the first time that this has happened, as I have witnessed this numerous times at games. This really needs to stop. It's one thing to have an outburst once in a while, but when it happens repeatedly to the star player, this is unnacceptable.

Never and I mean never would JVG pull that kind of crap with TMAC. He knows better. But because Yao is trained to listen, he just takes it. I know Yao admires JVG and vice versa, but it still has to be embarassing for him. I'm embarrased to watch it as a fan. That kind of outburst should be left behind closed doors during practice.

#1 oschadha, Mar 14, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  2. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

I'd rather have that than have cocky players like Shaq/Kobe. (Not that I wouldn't take Shaq's skill)

3. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

That's probably because, sadly, Yao is the only player who takes it seriously and responds on the court. :(

4. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

All i need to tell you is...watch what Pop does to Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, and every other spurs player on that roster if they make a mistake. Its called tough love, hes not doing it to embarrass yao or any other player, but if he sees mistakes out there on the court and tries to bring them up during timeouts and they dont get fixed, he as the coach has the right to go off.

5. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

Well, JVG got Pop's style. I wish he also got his luck/talent.

6. rocket3forlife2

I can tell you never played basketball on a team in your life.Yao is pretty much use to this by now. Just because your feeling are hurt because the coach is jumping down his throat doesn’t mean that Yao feeling are hurt.

7. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

Well then he needs to spread the tough love around. Get up in Howard, TMAC, and the rest of the players when they make boneheaded plays or mistakes. Just don't single out one player.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

thankfully yao isn't as sensitive as you are...

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Yeah but Popovich actually coaches. He has earned that right. He is a winner. What has JVG done?

How about Les pull JVG aside and yell at him for some of the boneheaded decisions HE makes?

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't have a problem with JVG doing that with Yao. If Pop can berate Duncan during timeouts, than certainly Yao should be able to take it as well.

That said, Van Gundy would NEVER try that stuff with McGrady.

11. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Yeah, jeez, I hope Yao didn't RUN HOME AND CRY TO HIS MOMMY. I don't get why you people think Yao is such a wimp that he's humiliated by his coach getting in his face. I can assure you that's the least of his worries. Yao responds to an authoritative approach. He's playing the best basketball of his life for this coach and now we're afraid his feelings are being hurt. Pathetic. Don't you remember when Yao went off on his Chinese teammates over on the sidelines in the Olympics? Do you remember how they responded? But hey I guess it was mean of Yao to do that, so let's hope he never becomes a coach.

12. terse

terse Member

Don't worry, JVG will be gone the day after Yao's temper snaps.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

What is so unusual about a coach yelling at a player in a critical game after a bad play? It's not like Van Gundy is coaching a women's team thus endangering them to bulimia.

14. Hmm

Hmm Member

jfyi, im indifferent either way.. but, just to get things straight..

it's ok for it to be done against Yao, because, he responds
    to an authoritative barrage..

but its not ok for it to be done against T-mac, because,
    his response to it would be, "Yo, Les, fire this m/fer"?

just wanna get my facts straight..

15. GTO

GTO Member

May be Yao is the only one worth screamed at? Of all the active players now, Yao is the only hope.

16. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

When did I say it wouldn't be ok for Van Gundy to get authoritative with McGrady? I'm fine with him getting in ANY player's face if they blow a couple plays. I also can't even imagine Van Gundy saying anything to McGrady during the course of a game that would cause a 9-year veteran to whine to Les Alexander. Additionally, having been in the league for so long in addition to possessing near-superhuman talent and basketball instincts, TMac needs far less coaching than Yao Ming, so you're more or less trying to compare apples and oranges to begin with.

17. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

Anyone who's seen <a href="http://www.savefile.com/files/6705335">the "13 in 35" highlight reel</a> gets treated to Coach Pop (not to be confused with Fudge Pop, Soda Pop or Iggy Pop) chewing out Manu Ginobili for failing to run the play Pop called for.

Just goes to show that "COACH" probably stands for <b>C</b>hewing <b>O</b>ut <b>A</b>ny <b>C</b>howder <b>H</b>eads.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Well, I'm glad you're not coaching this squad. :rolleyes:

JVG is being paid to scream at these players. Yao has made mistakes time and time again on the court. If he doesn't know about it, JVG has to. It's a learning process for Yao and soon he'll respect JVG for what he's done.

19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

You gotta love people that have never played team sports.

Coaches yell at players. Coaches yell when they are not winning and we mistakes are being made.

Has the thread starter watched any sports before, it happens all the time in the NFL, MLB and so on and so on

20. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Pop is probably the loudest and harshest when it comes to screaming at players during a game. But did anyone see him charge Nazr Mohamed after he rebounded his own shot and put it in the basket? After the play, the Rockets called a timeout, Nazr was happy & fired up about the play he made and Pop charged him as he was walking off the floor and stuck his finger in his face and started "lecturing" him about something. I've seen Pop do it all but wow! :eek: I'm still not sure what he was upset about.