1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need Advice- Job opportunity in Tyler, TX

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by xcamm1, Oct 27, 2014.

1. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

I lived in Tyler for several years, and I will echo what others have said: There is not as much to do as far as entertainment, arts, culture, dining up there, but it IS a really nice place to live IMO. I'd move back if circumstances led me there again. If you have any specific question about the place post 'em or PM me.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'd do it. My sister lived in Tyler for nearly a decade (my parents for two years) and I always enjoyed visiting. Not far from Shreveport, either.

3. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

This. Especially if you think you'll be at the $150k level in 3 years in Houston anyway. Even if in three years you make $175-200k in Tyler, you'll realize your lifestyle doesn't change that much with that much more money. But it will when you're away from your family and the city you really want to live in.
    You've heard of the saying, 'Buy experiences not things'. Well, if you went to Tyler just for the increase in money you'd be going for 'things'. Stay home and enjoy experiences with your family.

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I would move anywhere in the country that called with an offer twice my current salary.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

No, happiness is not a direct 1:1 correlation with wealth. Thousands of studies have proved this. You are being very mature in your thought process

Basically true... depending on how many kids you have (not because there are so many of them, but because if you have 2+ kids in a reasonable timeframe you are looking at a window of 5-9 years where those guys are really dependent on you).

The questions would be:

(1) How much time do you spend with family, and how valuable is that to you? Because you can't replace family. And, ESPECIALLY if kids are coming, it is certainly good to have family nearby. Yours, hers, direct, distant, whatever. Family is great when you are raising your own.

(2) How easily do you make friends? If relatively easily, then I'd be not that concerned about the friend aspect. You can make new friends everywhere. If you have the same group of friends you've had since grade school (or something like that), don't usually add to that group, haven't met a new friend in ages and don't generally do that well in social situations that are "NEW", then it is a concern. The kids will give you plenty of opportunity to make new friends, if you make friends easily.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Dont be a fool...be a man...and move to Tyler...:) Good luck bro. And congrats on the job offer, you can always come back to Houston at a later date. But get paid when you can.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Lol what?? You clearly don't know how to enjoy what the city offers if this is how you truly feel.

To the OP, congratulations on the offer! To me, that's a significant enough jump in salary to where I think you don't really have a choice. Tyler isn't an exotic place, but it's also not the pits either. You'd still be close enough to all the things you love to where you could still take a weekend, and come visit. Plus, like others have said, with satellite now, you won't even have to miss a beat. Take the job, and live a wonderful, financially-comfortable life my friend.

8. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I moved from Houston at 18 to college in Huntsville - away from friends and family and it really wasn't bad - You'll make new friends. I even stayed in Huntsville for a few years after college working and then I moved to DFW when I was 25 - farther from friends and family. I made some new friends then too. Sometimes its good to begin a new life, you may enjoy it. Friends and family are awesome, but sometimes they can hold you back. I'll admit it was scary because it forced me out of my comfort zone, but it was well-worth the move.

Also, don't forget the cost of living in Tyler is about 10% less than Houston..so 150K in Tyler will go a little farther than 150K in Houston.

9. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

If you will be making double I would make the move yesterday, and to be honest the way things are in Houston now you probably won't miss it.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

OP, it's about happiness and your lifestyle. Money is a requirement to be happy to a certain extent but after that threshold it's all about you personally. You only live once and if you're going to be miserable for the next 5 years or so as soon as you get engaged it may not be worth it. This is your prime.

11. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Dont forget to tell us how tyler is cleaner

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

3 hours isn't far.

I would keep that in mind.

Moving to Dayton, OH would be a different story

13. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Tyler blows monkey balls. Xenophobic rednecks, ****ty weather, ****ty food, ignorant over-aggressive cops. Tyler is like a ball of crap that rolled down the leg of dallas.

This is what I think of tyler.....and that whole part of east texas.

[​IMG]