1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dental insurance plans?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by drapg, Jun 1, 2004.

1. drapg

drapg Member

So I've had a tremendous tooth/gum ache for the past few days right by my lower left wisdom tooth, which like my lower right wisdoom tooth is partially erupted at 45 degrees.

The gums around the tooth are inflammed, probably due to bacteria resulting from food always getting stuck under the gums from the partially erupted tooth.

The point of that story is that after years of being told I need to have my wisdom teeth removed, I've finally decided I want to get it done. Unfortunately, my employer does not offer dental insurance (only medical) and wisdom teeth extraction surgery is not covered by them.

My dentist said that I would have to pay $1700 w/o insurance.

I think I'd rather continue gargling with salt water for the next week than fork over that kind of cash. So I thought maybe there are some cheap dental plans that I can register for, that will allow me to take care of this pre-existing condition.

Perhaps not even cheap, but something.

So I come to the BBS in search of advice. Someone out there must know something right? I did a google search, but I'm weary of just picking random plans without any references.

My aching gums thank you in advance.

2. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Individual dental plans are nearly impossible to get to cover pre-existing conditions.

Only advice I have is this: Is their a university near you that has a dental school? I know I had mine removed at Ohio State and it was like a third of the dentists cost. I had no issues at all going there.

So good luck finding dental insurance, but a I would explore the nearest university to get a cheaper alternative.

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

What kind of a medical plan doesn't cover wisdom teeth extraction? I've never heard of something like that. When my wife got hers removed, they would ONLY accept our medical insurance.

4. drapg

drapg Member

This is the same thing my dentist told me. But I looked up the information in my insurance handbook and it explicity states that the removal of teeth for any purpose outside of emergency room situations was not covered.

So either I fork up $1700 or wait until I have to go to the emergency room b/c of shooting pain, bleeding, or swelling. :mad:

5. drapg

drapg Member

Having students handle my delicate gums and teeth worries me.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Dental Plan.....Lisa needs braces......Dental Plan.....Lisa needs braces......

7. AlexVanderpool

Wisdom teeth cant be considered "pre-existing" unless there was some previous work done on them before the insurance plan started. Having a recommendation by a dentist to remove wisdom teeth shouldnt be considered pre-existing.

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I don't know much about dental insurance, but aren't most pre-existing conditiions simply dealt with by way of a Waiting Period, i.e. a time of No Benefits or Reduced Benefits followed by Full Benefits?

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd advise you but I am routinely screwed by insurance companies. There is probably no worse person to ask than me.

10. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

You SHOULD be worried. One of my professors told me he witnessed a dental student trying to anaesthetize someone's gums before removing a tooth. He shoved the thing, and it came out the back of the guys cheek. When he squeezed the trigger, he actually saw the liquid shoot out and hit the wall next to him.

I never forget that story, every time I go to a dentist. :(